Wiki on Coconut oil, MCT oil, Exogenous ketones

mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Wiki on Coconut oil, MCT oil, Exogenous ketones

Post by mike »

MarcR wrote:Just the first edit is moderated typically. After that you'll likely be preapproved.
Stavia wrote:
I'm not sure if I were Stavia, and had put all of that work into the Wiki, that I would want just anyone to be able to edit it...
Sonoma Mike
4/4
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: Wiki on Coconut oil, MCT oil, Exogenous ketones

Post by Stavia »

mike wrote:
MarcR wrote:Just the first edit is moderated typically. After that you'll likely be preapproved.
Stavia wrote:
I'm not sure if I were Stavia, and had put all of that work into the Wiki, that I would want just anyone to be able to edit it...
Its a team effort!! Everyone is welcome to contribute :)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Re: RE: Re: Wiki on Coconut oil, MCT oil, Exogenous ketones

Post by TheresaB »

Stavia wrote:
mike wrote:
Stavia wrote:
Its a team effort!! Everyone is welcome to contribute :)
My cautionary note about editing the Wiki is that the edits need to stick to subjects affecting/of interest to ApoE4. I know that sounds pretty obvious, but I had to reject one edit on the Wiki's Cannabinoids topic because of this.

For example, there's a lot of interesting stuff out there on keto and cancer. While that may be good information, and being ketogenic is of interest to ApoE4s, keto's effects on cancer is off topic. Folks come to the wiki for information relevant to ApoE4, as moderators we need to make sure we stick to the knitting.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Re: Wiki on Coconut oil, MCT oil, Exogenous ketones

Post by MarcR »

And it's important to realize that with respect to the wiki, all members have the privilege and responsibility of exercising the editorial judgment to which Theresa refers. The moderation team's formal responsibilities are exactly the same for the forums and the wiki - enforce the Community Guidelines. With both the forums and the wiki, moderators approve each member's first post / wiki edit; after that, the member can post / edit freely.

In the wiki context, this often involves changing another member's words. For example, a while back a member made a grammar / punctuation / diction pass through the entire wiki and made hundreds of changes. In my capacity not as a moderator but as a member with interest in the wiki, I reviewed many of the changes and saw that they consistently improved the text. If I had concluded otherwise, I could have rolled back any or all of the changes using my capabilities as a member.

To summarize,

- Any member can contribute to the wiki in any way. We are all wiki editors. Of course, if your edits are poorly done or present a skewed perspective on a controversial topic, someone else may roll them back or change them further.

- Moderators have zero content responsibility or oversight for the wiki beyond enforcement of the Community Guidelines. When members who are also moderators edit the wiki, they are acting not as moderators but as ordinary members.

I encourage all who are interested in the wiki to read this excellent introduction to wiki best practices.