Itinerary & RSVP for our Bay Area Meet-up

Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Itinerary & RSVP for our Bay Area Meet-up

Post by Stavia »

Hi team. I will be meeting the owner at 3pm at the house to get the keys and information etc. PM me if you wish to liaise. Once I am at the house I guess you should ring the door bell to get in??? I don't have a USA phone and the last time I will have wifi will be when I leave the hotel that morning. I promise I won't go anywhere.
If you need to get hold of me PM me before then and I'll tell you my international phone number. I can get ordinary text messages.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

I've learned some more about the Slanted Door today that is giving me some pause about making the reservation.

Because our party is over 15, we would have to order off of the Prix Fixe Menu 48 hours in advance. That typically offers 3 appetizers, 3 entrees, and one vegetable to be served family style for $56 per person. (Since many of us eat primarily vegetables, I was able to negotiate trading appetizers for vegetables.) Once tax, fees, and gratuity are added, it will be closer to $75.00 per person. Here's the Prix Fixe menu: http://www.slanteddoor.com/prixfixe#policy

The soonest they can seat us would be at 6PM, which wouldn't be an issue as there is plenty to do and see in the area. Their policies feel a bit restrictive and the meal will be expensive. They also want to charge my credit card up front. Please share your thoughts- soon. That reservation space won't last long :roll: AB4Me warned us that this would be a tough reservation to get.

I suggest going elsewhere; but will defer to the group.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Stavia wrote:Once I am at the house I guess you should ring the door bell to get in???
There is wifi at the house, so once you are there, should be no problem with communication via data (email or phone apps)...
Juliegee wrote: I suggest going elsewhere; but will defer to the group.
I'm with you. I don't know the area, but perhaps a more casual approach - different small groups going to different spots & agreeing to rendezvous after at a time & place?
Tincup
E3,E4
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Cool George I will connect to the wifi. Team, Pm me if you want my number. You can whatsapp or viber or hangout to call me.
I will do whatever everybody wants foodwise.
Starfish77
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Starfish77 »

It sounds very restrictive. Elsewhere sounds better to me. I will do whatever the group wants to do.
Starfish
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

AB4Me, can you recommend another more casual restaurant in the area with healthy food...lots of vegs? I'd love to eat as a group as that will be our opportunity to socialize with those not staying at the house- Kit & Husband, Starfish, AB4Me, hopefully Pal. Meeting and spending time with you all is every bit as special as hearing from the researchers.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

AB4Me came through with another great recommendation, Ozumo. They were very pleasant and accommodating (improvement!) but their prix fixe menu ranged from $75- $95 per person before taxes and gratuity :shock:

I found an alternate place to eat that's a mere 1/2 mile from Gladstone- an easy drive or simple walk (for those of use using BART.) It's a farm to table restaurant called STEM Kitchen & Garden. It offers a casual yet elegant atmosphere featuring an expansive outdoor patio, garden, bocce ball, fire pits, and sweeping views of San Francisco Bay. The menu is inspired by Californian-Mediterranean cuisine.
http://www.stemkitchensf.com

We could easily find something more reasonably priced on the menu to eat there. Shall I try to make a reservation for us? I really like the idea of walking over instead of using BART. Bocce and fire pits help. Keep in mind, I've never been there, but reviews look amazing. It looks like a great place to unwind and socialize.

In other meet-up news, as of today there will be 140 folks coming out to The Buck to meet with us. Of course, only our small group of 17 will be meeting and dining with Dr. Bredesen afterwards. I've passed along your questions today.

A few folks have asked about the identity of the ApoE NewCo CEO at Gladstone. I received this from Dr. Mahley today:
The CEO of our company is Dr. Leon Chen. Leon has now worked with us for a year to set the stage for this endeavor and has absolutely caught the vision, mastered the knowledge and recognized the importance of developing a treatment for apoE4. He has had previous experience in developing a successful company and is skilled in drug discovery and development. Leon has agreed to join with us in hosting your group here at Gladstone.
I've also invited Dr. Krauss to attend dinner at the Mission Heirloom Garden Cafe and the SFO premiere of The Widowmaker with us. I haven't heard back from him yet. I also forwarded your questions to him.

Please share your thoughts about STEM. Looks good to me.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Yep, STEM was too good to be true...sigh. They are fully booked for the day/time we needed. At their recommendation, I've made a reservation for The Mission Rock Resort. They are also an easy walk/drive from Gladstone, They were lovely and accommodating. We can order directly off the menu:
http://missionrockresort.com/files/2015 ... Dinner.pdf

Here's a link to their website:
http://missionrockresort.com

Can we make that work?
Starfish77
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Starfish77 »

I looked at the menu and directions on Mapquest from Gladstone Labs. It looks great to me. Big hugs and "thank yous" are coming to you from all of us for figuring out all these details. You are so resourceful.
Starfish
rep
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rep »

Rep here. Still not feeling up to par so I've been out of the loop. Nothing contagious.

My husband and I still plan to attend everything. I received a direct invitation to the Buck event. Julie - I do NOT need to respond to that, correct, because you have already accounted for my attendance through our forum group???