News from our SFO Meet-up

bentkat
Contributor
Contributor

Re: News from our SFO Meet-up

Post by bentkat »

Thank you Ski. I am excited that I can watch our wonderful Julie address this audience.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

George will soon be posting the video link of our meeting with Dr. Krauss re. APOE-ε4, Heart Disease, and Diet. All members' personal introductions will be cut out. You'll just be seeing and hearing Dr. Krauss with some "disembodied voices" asking questions/making comments. The video quality is good given the circumstances, but you need to listen very closely as Dr. Krauss speaks softly and there is some background noise. Despite the fact that some unpublished, preliminary information is accidentally shared; Dr. Krauss has generously agreed to allow us to post a link to the meeting. Stay tuned for that video link -actually two- as the camera is turned off at one point per Dr. Krauss's request.

Also, per Stavia's request in another thread; I recently posed the question to Dr. Krauss regarding his recommendations re. coconut oil/MCT oil for E4 carriers. His response was surprising to me.
As for MCT, I am not aware of adverse effects on cardiovascular disease that would lead me to recommend minimizing intake.

Because coconut oil/MCT is a SFA, I specifically followed up and asked Dr. Krauss if we need to limit our intake as part of the 7% of daily SFA calories he recommended. His response:
I don't feel that the SFAs from MCTs need to be included in the total for SFA intake since they have minimal if any effects on LDL metabolism.
As always, I would encourage everyone anyone to run an N=1 experiment to verify Dr. Krauss's recommendations. If his observations hold true, I feel very hopeful as I feel amazing with very small amounts of MCT- around 2 grams per day.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Julie - thank you SOOO much.
I don't know enough about MCTS and etc - what options do we have?
Normal coconut oil?
Something else?
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Juliegee wrote:George will soon be posting the video link of our meeting with Dr. Krauss re. APOE-ε4, Heart Disease, and Diet.
Also, per Stavia's request in another thread; I recently posed the question to Dr. Krauss regarding his recommendations re. coconut oil/MCT oil for E4 carriers. His response was surprising to me.
As for MCT, I am not aware of adverse effects on cardiovascular disease that would lead me to recommend minimizing intake.

Because coconut oil/MCT is a SFA, I specifically followed up and asked Dr. Krauss if we need to limit our intake as part of the 7% of daily SFA calories he recommended. His response:
I don't feel that the SFAs from MCTs need to be included in the total for SFA intake since they have minimal if any effects on LDL metabolism.
As always, I would encourage everyone anyone to run an N=1 experiment to verify Dr. Krauss's recommendations. If his observations hold true, I feel very hopeful as I feel amazing with very small amounts of MCT- around 2 grams per day.
Yes, working on the video & will combine the two into one for ease of viewing.

Confirms what Gundry told Russ, "15. Coconut Oil – he confirms he sees coconut oil as good for E4’s." https://www.apoe4.info/forums/viewtopic ... onut#p8504
Tincup
E3,E4
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Here is the edited link to Dr. Krauss's discussion - thanks to my bride for doing the work - the free editing software on my Mac wanted to put a watermark in the finished product. The two parts have been joined, so only one link. There is a gap where he asked us to turn off the camera. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9w0Rm ... sp=sharing You will need to download it. The size is 656 MB.
Tincup
E3,E4
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

JulieGee! You were wonderful! You brought tears to my eyes more than once as the last two and a half years on this journey came into such clear focus as you talked, and it registered how much more work I still have to do.

Re: coconut oil being good for E4s, hopefully at some point we will get an explanation as to why the long chain saturated fatty acids in it aren't a problem, or whether that segment should count against the 7%, which will be hard to determine. I would love to be able to eat coconut oil without worry, i.e. as opposed to MCT oil, just for the enhanced pleasure of it.

GeorgeN thanks!
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Ann
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Ann »

Julie:

You did an exquisite job. And what you have accomplished, personally and for the good of many, is remarkable. Thank you.
AnneG
Contributor
Contributor

Post by AnneG »

"As always, I would encourage everyone anyone to run an N=1 experiment to verify Dr. Krauss's recommendations. If his observations hold true, I feel very hopeful as I feel amazing with very small amounts of MCT- around 2 grams per day."

My husband and I were both using about 2 tbsp/15ml per day of MCT oil for 10 months (28 grams saturated fat) on the advice of our M.D. and saw a steep rise in LDL-p. We're both 3/4. I'd love to be able to use at least a little, or have full-fat coconut milk once in awhile, but feel pretty cautious about it now.