New study examining the effect of APOE-ε4 knowledge

Silverlining
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: New study examining the effect of APOE-ε4 knowledge

Post by Silverlining »

On board with Dr. Zallen here too.

G...hope all is ok with you...thinking of you!

Teezer, loved it! My husband thought it very witty as well. He has a great sense of humor. In racquetball today, our score was 4 to 4 and he lit up like a christmas tree and said "hey, 4/4 that's your number"....as if it's something to be smiling about. My final score of 13 to 15 up against my A+ player husband IS something to celebrate however....go me! :D
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Silverlining … WOOT your score!
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

I just wanted to remind everyone (especially our newbies!) about this opportunity to participate in Dr. Doris Zallen's project. There is little research on how ApoE4 knowledge impacts us. In many ways we are genetic pioneers. Dr. Zallen is very interested in hearing about your unique experience. Ultimately, your participation will help to better protect, advise, and educate other APOE-ε4 carriers. I've spoken extensively with Dr. Zallen. She is absolutely lovely. I encourage anyone, who hasn't already participated, to consider contacting her. Please scroll to the top of this thread for details.
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

I've just emailed Dr. Zallen about volunteering for her study.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
LanceS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LanceS »

sent an e-mail as well... feel like this is ex Harvard making a counterpoint to Harvard!

I made a quick list of thoughts :lol: ...as my kids would say "dad you talk too much"....i'd post but I think could start to bias the study :oops:

but who knows maybe folks who did wish they didn't find out... if you feel that way I hope you can find the time to respond
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

We have so many wonderful new members that I wanted to bump up this opportunity. I just heard from Dr. Zallen today. She's hoping to present the data she's collected from us at the American Society of Human Genetics that will will take place in Vancouver, Canada to an audience of geneticists, physicians, researchers, and policy makers. She'll be finishing the formal paper in October and has the space to include five more participants. Please consider contacting her; information below. The emotional toll that ApoE knowledge takes is tremendously understudied. This is your chance to speak to the decision makers who may have the ability to affect access and implementation of this loaded information.
We've been invited to participate in a research study conducted by Dr. Doris Zallen of Virgina Tech, delving into the myriad implications of learning our E4 status. This knowledge has been life-changing for many of us- understatement. Our participation in this study may help to better describe the experience and better protect future E4 carriers.

Dr. Zallen has an interesting background. She is a hardcore Harvard trained scientist, but has largely turned her focus to bio-ethics. Dr. Zallen is the author of a fascinating book: To Test or Not: A Guide to Genetic Screening and Risk
http://www.amazon.com/To-Test-Not-Genet ... 0813543789
_____

Dear ApoE4 Community,

This e-mail is being sent with the permission of the Board of Directors to invite you to participate in a research study related to Alzheimer’s disease. The study is entitled: “Genetic Testing for Common Disorders: Learning from the Experiences of Individuals who were Tested to Determine their Genetic Risk for Alzheimer’s Disease”.

The aim of the study is to gain greater insight into APOE testing for Alzheimer’s disease risk by drawing on the experiences of people who have undergone such testing and to use any insights gained to help guide the development of better-informed policies surrounding this type of genetic testing.

The study is now seeking 20 participants, ages 21 and above, who will each participate in a telephone interview that will take between 30 minutes and one hour. This interview will explore the reasons for testing, the APOE-testing process itself, and any benefits or problems that resulted.

Your privacy will be protected. No publications or presentations based on this research will contain any personally identifiable information.

For further information, please contact

by e-mail: dtzallen@vt.edu
or by phone: (540) 231-4216.

Thank you for considering this request.

Doris T. Zallen, Ph.D.
Principal Investigator
Department of Science and Technology in Society
Virginia Tech
Blacksburg, VA
______

I hope many will participate. I've been lucky enough to speak with Dr. Zallen on several occasional. She is a lovely person deeply interested in the profound effect this knowledge has had upon our lives.
RedNailz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RedNailz »

Thank you for posting this again! I missed it the first time because I'm not active on the forum. But I check in from time to time, just to see what's new and remind myself that my health is a priority.

Anyway, I emailed Dr. Zallen and hope I can participate in the study.
4/4
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

I hope others have reached out to Dr. Zallen. She is a wonderful person. Her study is undertaken with oversight by an institutional review board, so there shouldn't be any concerns re: privacy.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Ruth
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Ruth »

I have emailed Dr. Zallen as well.
thumperama
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by thumperama »

I spoke with Dr Zallen today. What a great experience. And what a worthy cause.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk