2016 Meet-Up

MarcR
Mod
Mod

Re: 2016 Meet-Up

Postby MarcR » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:17 pm

Jeannine and I would be interested in attending AHS16 with our ApoE4.info friends.

Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Lucy5 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:50 pm

I'm also interested!

RichardS
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RichardS » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:00 pm

Juliegee wrote:Quick update on the tentatively proposed meet-up in April; it’s fallen through. The LA symposium is apparently limited in space and primarily open to AD researchers.

I've emailed the conference coordinator to get further information. They may let me in given my neuroscience background and university affiliation. If it goes well, I will take notes and try to report back anything relevant for our group.

Tincup
Mod
Mod

Postby Tincup » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:10 pm

My wife & I are interested in attending AHS16
Tincup
E3,E4

Silverlining
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Silverlining » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:14 am

My hubby turns 60 that weekend and his job (political) is such that he's off work every ten years in April (reapportionment pushing back legislative session) and next year is a ten year mark. Long story, short, he has other plans during that time frame to celebrate entry into his sixth decade of life. Maybe another time for me....

Julie G
Mod
Mod

Postby Julie G » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:11 am

Sixty is a big one, Silver! I can't believe your sweet hubby doesn't want to celebrate with us? ;)

I've been swamped with the holidays and still need to contact AHS16 organizers to see if we can weave an E4 presentation or two into the mix. I'd love some assistance putting this together. Drop me a PM if you can help. For whatever reason, I've noted that we have lots of members in CO. This might be a great opportunity for many of us to meet up.

Thank you, Richard. I was hoping you would still try to attend the LA symposium. I look forward to hearing what you learn.

Julie G
Mod
Mod

Postby Julie G » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:09 pm

OK, I’ve been in communication with the organizers of the Ancestral Health Symposium and they ARE open to collaborating with us to weave an APOE-ε4 component into this year’s symposium.

The organization’s overall focus is on understanding human health, disease, and wellness from the perspective of the human ecological niche and human evolution. This year, however, they are particularly interested in focusing on evolutionary mismatches with the perspective that these mismatches are the root cause of many of the modern challenges to health and well-being. What better mismatch than the APOE-ε4 allele in modern society?

I need your help to make this happen. Please think about some speakers, who’ve made a contribution to this topic, that you’d like to see. We’ve previously identified Drs. Gundry, Bredesen, and Rhonda Patrick. I also like Russ’s idea to put together a panel to debate LDL particle count vs. size, a topic of interest for our community and beyond. Please share your ideas for speakers and other activities.

Below see a link with information for presenters. Presentation proposals are due by 2/29.
http://www.ancestralhealth.org/post/ahs ... -proposals

The last day to register for the event with a $20 discount is also on 2/15. After that registration raises from $269-$289 for all 3 days.
http://www.ancestralhealth.org/symposium

Because of the way this event is structured, we won’t know until April 15th which of our invited speakers will be featured. FWIW, based upon previous year’s agendas, I suspect that we won’t have a problem getting some of our picks featured IF they are available & IF we can get them to apply. With those caveats in mind, please save the date to join us in Boulder on August 11-13th. Of course, we’ll make arrangements to share accommodations, meals, and other health related activities. Spending time with my E4 brothers and sisters last year was a life changing experience. I hope you can join us this year.

KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby KatieS » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:05 pm

I can contact Dr. Greicius at Stanford to see if he could speak or his research colleague Dr. Sarah Schegel. However like Dr. Brinton, they don't seem to be clued into the ancestral theme, more genetic risks and hormonal protection, so what do you think?

Julie G
Mod
Mod

Postby Julie G » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:08 pm

Good question, Katie. Drs. Greicius & Brinton would make great speakers. I love that they've both independently identified E4 women as being at particularly high risk of AD...but (like you) I don't see the ancestral connection :?. We could perhaps consider having one or both meet with us for a small session/dinner, but would have to pay their travel expenses.

Julie G
Mod
Mod

Postby Julie G » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:52 am

I wanted to give you a quick update on our progress in putting together our 2016 meet-up. As I’ve previously reported, The Ancestral Health Symposium organizers have agreed to shine a spotlight upon APOE-ε4 carriers as examples of genetic mismatches with modern society.

A prevailing myth in the Paleo community (and beyond) has been that our ε4 ancestors regularly feasted on fatty meat and we should do the same to avoid the pathologies associated with our risky allele. In reality, we suspect that our predecessors probably experienced long periods of famine, exercised very strenuously to enjoy a rare hunt, and ate a lot of leafy greens in between. Simulating THAT approach certainly seems to be yielding the best results for our population.

I’ve put out invitations to various experts who either paint that more likely hypothesis or who incorporate that ancestral approach into their work with patients.

So far, Drs. Gundry and Michael Raichlen have agreed to submit proposals to present on our behalf. (I'm also working on setting up a private Q & A lunch/dinner with Dr. Gundry.) Dr. Bredesen is interested, but I don’t have a firm commitment from him yet. AHS organizers have already reached out to Dr. Rhonda Patrick to present on Bruce Ames’s Triage Theory which certainly has implications for neurodegenerative diseases.

The AHS organizers LOVE the idea of a panel (Dayspring, Krauss, Gundry, Attia) to discuss LDL particle number vs. size, but have logistic issues. I think they like to have multiple speakers presenting at once…and THIS would draw too big of a crowd to a single venue. I’m still trying to convince them to let us try to make this happen… Stay tuned.

If you can think of a presenter, who focuses upon the APOE-ε4 allele as a genetic mismatch with modern society, PLEASE encourage them to apply to present. For instance, I’d love to have someone represent a CR perspective that certainly has an ancestral basis. Has anyone (Mattson, Krikorian) done work incorporating the ε4 allele? Here’s the link with information for presenters. The submission deadline has been extended to 2/29:
http://www.ancestralhealth.org/post/ahs ... -proposals

George has arranged for anyone who wants to arrive a day early, August 10th, to get an inexpensive, low radiation EBT scan. More details will follow.

Huge thanks to KatiesS and George for your help in organizing…and to Russ and Thumperama for your guidance. I could use additonal help from anyone who wants to pitch in. Shoot me a PM.

Return to “Announcements and Events”