Media Coverage of our Meet-up?

Julie G
Mod
Mod

Media Coverage of our Meet-up?

Postby Julie G » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:38 pm

I have a quick question for anyone planning to attend our Boulder meet-up. I’ve been approached by a reporter, Shelley Shlender (an acquaintance of George’s) who would like to film our group during our planned dinners. I want to respect anyone’s desire to remain anonymous and off-camera so thought I would share this blurb from Shelley to help you decide if this is something you’d be comfortable with. If not, please let me know. As a group, we can decide to completely abstain from this opportunity. Or, a few members can be filmed, while others are blurred. This might be a good opportunity to spread our prevention message. Some of you may be comfortable in front of a camera and want to be filmed. If so, please let me know and I will pass your name onto Shelley.
I'm a journalist based in Boulder, Colorado who reports on a variety of topics and has a special interest in stories about health science -- especially about what happens when people themselves adopt lifestyles for the sake of improving their health.  I've followed the information about ketogenic diets and exercise for well over a decade, as one example.  The Voice of America (voanews.com) has approved me doing a story for global broadcast about Bredesen's protocols and studies regarding Alzheimer's reversal.  I'll be talking with Dale on Friday around 4:30 to do an interview with him.  The fact that your group is here in Boulder adds a great dimension, because it's an opportunity to interview and show people who "walk the talk."  On many health stories reported in the press that most commonly extoll a new potential drug, the doctors simply say that even if a lifestyle change might be useful and healthy, no one will ever really do it, so why encourage people to try (ie, just tell people to take the pill) - so to have some examples of people who are actually following these kinds of protocols is very powerful.  Additionally, I think Bredesen's message that APOE4 can be considered an evolutionarily advantageous genotype, when treated properly through lifestyle, is wonderful to share as well.

For filming, I want to respect anyone's wishes to NOT be filmed, while still doing some filming if possible in the context of actual things happening, such as people eating at a restaurant, for instance.  I appreciate you and your husband, plus George and Theresa, being willing to be filmed at bit for this (it might just be ten minutes of filming, for instance, to get close in shots of what you're eating, plus mid-distance shots of you in a dining room, plus a bit of conversation there about what you're eating and why).  And there are pixelating programs for people's faces that can disguise anyone in the background -- and even change the timbre of their voice.  As an example, I'm including a link to a story I did about marijuana in Colorado, where the Boulder Sheriff's Drug Task Force Commander asked me to disguise his identity, since he works undercover.  While we filmed him in silhouette initially, it turns out that we didn't even need to do that, since the pixelating works so well.  You can see how it looks here.

Stavia
Mod
Mod

Re: Media Coverage of our Meet-up?

Postby Stavia » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:13 pm

hmmm....separate from the privacy thing....here's a different view...as long as it doesn't detract from our precious time together. If it's going to be time consuming in terms of compromising our group time I'd be voting resoundingly no and wanting to keep our private time private. It's going to be a hugely busy and very short time for us. I'm not keen to bring a journalist into our group time. I'm pretty sure 10minutes of filming will become a significant part of one of our dinners. Not keen. Sorry.
George and Theresa can meet with their friend separately.
The thing is what is our priority? Group time or TV filming?

Stavia
Mod
Mod

Postby Stavia » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:16 pm

I know we want to spread the message, just looking at the time cost of the filming. If everyone else thinks this is a worthwhile activity then I will gracefully agree.
I'm just thinking of the logistics of us all arriving with TV crew at a restaurant. And the alternative of Julie and Bruce not being with us at one of our dinners is worse.

ru442
Mod
Mod

Postby ru442 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:05 pm

I won't be there to meet you all and wish I could, but would like to give my 2 cents. While the press would be great, this seems to be a quicky "diet" piece, and does not dive into the details of why we do what we do. Its complex and taking pix of what we eat and a writing a blurb on how diet and lifestyle can change your future doesnt jive with me.

It would be more interesting if the reporter actively participated and got the "story" of why this band of people got together to change their lives, because we have no other avenue to do so. You have all actively been looking to better lives through activism for our cause, and that should be the story IMHO.

This group has helped change my life and hopefully my future... that should be the story.....

Another 2 cents from ru442

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk
Male 4/4 56 yrs., "Live, Laugh, Love"

KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby KatieS » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:55 am

Only on our first night do we have a private room, so I'm concerned about how a journalist will be able to film in a restaurant. My latest counts are Wed (19), Thur (25), Fri (25) and Sat (25), but will be posting again to confirm. What about suggesting filming us during one of our lunch break period for those of us who would like to share our story?

TheBrain
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby TheBrain » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:08 am

I am willing to do whatever it takes to help get the word out there. Putting faces, even pixelated faces for those who want privacy, in front of a camera makes what we are actually doing more real to viewers.

It might be just the journalist and a camera person with his/her equipment. Julie, do you know about such logistics, or could you ask?
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!

Starfish77
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Starfish77 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:46 am

Filming is fine with me. If I were of an age where I might be applying to buy insurance of some type where health might make a difference I might not be volunteering. I'm glad to help get the word out.

SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby SusanJ » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:15 am

Katie, I was thinking the same thing. Lunch break. Some of us will be brown-bagging, but isn't that part of the story, too, that it's hard to eat out and find healthy alternatives in most towns, (and even Boulder to some extent).

Julie G
Mod
Mod

Postby Julie G » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:27 pm

Thanks all for weighing in. I was really hoping to hear from George on this...

I'm also feeling ambivalent. Perhaps if the journalist joined us for lunch ONE day and spent some time understanding the enormity of our undertaking (as opposed to just focusing on diet,) we might be able to spread the word about AD prevention as it relates to ApoE4 and still protect the majority of our precious bonding time.

Sorry for my meager presence on the site. I'm in SFO working this week. PLEASE continue to share your thoughts about this.

Tincup
Mod
Mod

Postby Tincup » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:38 pm

First, we're fine with whatever anybody wants to do. Shelly is quite knowledgeable. She knows Ron Rosedale very well and I had dinner at her house with Ron and Jimmy Moore in February. She is a borderline T1 (or T1.5 LADA) diabetic who keeps herself under control with a strict diet that is VLC. When I say borderline, I mean her pancreas does not function as it should (not IR) with producing enough insulin. I think it was Rosedale that discovered this. In any case, she's been able to maintain and even improve her pancreatic function over 10+ years with diet/lifestyle. She has interviewed many people and has an interview with Dr. Bredesen scheduled during the AHS. Theresa and I are doing a call-in radio show this Wednesday with her as a prelude to AHS. Separately we are also doing filming of things that we do to enhance our health and reduce risk of chronic illness.

She is also sensitive to our situation.

Theresa and I think that spreading the word a) about ApoE4 and b) that there potentially are things that can be done to reduce risk are worth doing and can potentially benefit our cause. We are very willing to spend our time for this. This is a two part effort. One is for the local public radio station and the other has a worldwide audience (Voice of America). Boulder has a very educated populace and we can possibly reach some very influential people.
Tincup
E3,E4

Return to “Announcements and Events”