2016 Ancestral Health Meetup - Stavia's blog

Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: 2016 Ancestral Health Meetup - Stavia's blog

Post by Stavia »

Welcome Slacker.
I expected most non-scientists would have expected a list like 1. Exercise 2. Fast 3.Stop sugar 4. Take curcumin etc. But the thing is that each of these examples have multiple biochemical effects.
Good discussion on the choice of statin. I know we say pravastatin and rosuvastatin because they penetrate the BBB least but I doubt there is good endpoint evidence in humans. Anyone know?
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Stavia wrote: I expected most non-scientists would have expected a list like 1. Exercise 2. Fast 3.Stop sugar 4. Take curcumin etc. But the thing is that each of these examples have multiple biochemical effects.
I'd call your non-scientist list the Michael Pollen list! My expected list of memory "holes" was mini-scientist (Muppet's Beaker), ie 1. Insulin resistance, 2. Low vitamin D, 3. Elevated Homocysteine, 4. Low estrogen in women.... ;)
Slacker
E4/E4
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

I adore Michael Pollan!
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

Here's the link to Dr Terry Wahls’ presentation, “Feeding Your Microbiome for Optimal Health” presented at the Ancestral Health Symposium on 13 Aug 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiwWd87mkOQ

And this is the link to Rand T. Akasheh’s presentations, “Alzheimer’s Disease: Pathophysiology and Nutritional Implications” presented on 11 Aug 2015, where she concentrated on Diabetes and Alzheimer's Disease. Poor girl, she’s a Phd candidate and had to follow Drs Gundry and Bredesen with a presentation on Alzheimer’s. Talk about intimidating! But she did a great job, too bad the audio is not very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKH3AE1dOb4

Dr Bredesen’s presentation has not shown up.

About half the presentations from the symposium have been posted to YouTube, but the above two are specifically relevant to our interests.

Others of potential interest that are now on YouTube:
If you’re looking for a primer on Fasting (to promote autophagy, ketogenesis), try: “Increase your healthspan by mimicking hunter gathers meal frequency” Presented by Jake Jacobson. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9Tfxmiydcw

I found this presentation, “Food choice & vision loss: Is age related macular degeneration (AMD) preventable” by Chris A. Knobbe, M.D. very interesting, It is not relevant to ApoE4, except that, similar to Alzheimer’s cases, today’s modern western diet seems to be contributing to Macular Degeneration numbers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmrncwpaZRM
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Thank you, Theresa, Stavia & everyone who's made this such an incredible thread. Waves, slacker!!! So nice to see you here :D.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Thanks so much for posting these presentations. Still so bummed to have to cancel last minute due to my eye. Fortunately, the past few days, the shadows seemed to be gone, so I hoping the recheck confirms the blood has been reabsorbed. Although I have four eye diseases (but vision is 20/20), macular degeneration is not one. Meanwhile, I added this.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Wishing you a speedy recovery (((Katie)))
ckosh
New User
New User

Post by ckosh »

KatieS wrote:Cir, sorry to hear about your mother. Julieanne's citation included simvastatin (SV) which does have other references of neuroprotection. My mom & husband are both on SV, but it interacted with nifedipine, so I switched to rosuvastin (now Crestor is generic). Pravastatin 10mg was too weak, but 20mg increased muscle pains. Rosuvastatin is water-soluble like pravastatin,but a very potent statin even at low doses.
Hi --was simvastatin one of the better ones for E4s or one to avoid? I'm interpreting the comment above that SV was one of the better ones, but wanted to confirm. Thanks!
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Welcome, ckosh. Unfortunately, nobody knows for certain which if any statins are “safe” for E4 carriers. Some here have speculated that low doses of water soluble statins (like pravastatin and rosuvastatin) may be the safest for us as they don’t cross the BBB and theoretically wold leave the CNS cholesterol pool intact. Because of the uncertainty, this is an enormously controversial topic on the forum. Use our search engine to learn more.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

I just had a lovely conversation with Shelley, the journalist who filmed us for a VOA feature. As some may recall, her Mom was in the midst of a neuropsych work-up during our visit to Boulder. Sadly, she's been determined to be in the middle stages of dementia. Her Mom was understandably sad and frightened by the formal Dx. Shelley showed her some of our footage... and her Mom feels hopeful once again. She's ready to make some lifestyle changes. It may be too late for her, but hopefully she'll be able to glean some benefit. I just wanted everyone to know how your generous sharing can (and already has!) positively impact others.