Get-together, Boston, Oct. 19.

Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Get-together, Boston, Oct. 19.

Post by Gilgamesh »

Hey Gang,

First, thanks to hill dweller for notifying us about the symposium in Boston.

I'd like to suggest we use the symposium as the occasion for a get-together. I'll be at the 4:00 p.m. symposium (not sure yet about the movie at 2:00 p.m.). We could get together after for dinner, tea, or whatever we feel like.

Post here if you think you might want to come. I have not yet met ANYONE live from our group yet (only phone and Skype), so I look forward to meeting anyone who can make it.

G
Starfish77
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Get-together, Boston, Oct. 19.

Post by Starfish77 »

Hi G,
I'm on the other side of the country so I won't be coming to Boston. I'm envious of those who are able to make it to Boston because they will be able to meet our world traveling friend Mr. G. I hope you enjoy the conference and that I get to meet you at a future one.
Starfish
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

No one? This looks like a great opportunity for our Northeastern contingent to meet up. My schedule is making this look unlikely for me, but things may change once I get details about an upcoming interview. I hope we can gather a few folks...
Nancy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nancy »

I'd love to but like Starfish, I too live across the country. I have family in NY so I occasionally travel there, but not very often as I have a child who is in school and in many activities here. :(
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

Hey gang,

1. Lots of people responded that a Boston-area get-together would be wonderful but that the date this time didn't work out. So let's be thinking about a next time. And for planning purposes note that I have (empty):

- A room with two ~140-cm beds ("twin" I think it's called here).

- A room one with king-size bed.

Then also a sleep sofa and a cot.

But it's on the Cape two hours from Boston.

2. I can't come today!!! Broke/sprained my wrist yesterday and can't drive b/c of the meds. (And if I stop the meds can't drive because of the pain.)

G
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

NO!!! When it rains, it pours... Heal, my friend.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Oh, G I have four old healed wrist fractures from horse & bike falls. Although the predicted arthritic sequelae never occurred (yet?). The first few days are rough, replaced by the memory of how rapidly your strength increases and pain dissipates. Hope the same course for you.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

{{{G}}}
Did you fall off your bike?
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

Katie- Four? How terrible! But, yes, the pain has gone from thoughts-of-suicide-inducing to almost nil (as long as I don't use the hand, that is) in just 24 hours. Huge relief. I don't know how people live with chronic pain of that magnitude. My pain just laughed at the tramadol and naproxen as I was trying to go to sleep. Tossed some oxy into the mix: still nothing. Found a crate to put in my bed to keep the arm elevated. No help. But woke up with some improvement, and then it improved rapidly over the course of the morning.

S: I just lost my balance while taking off muddy shoes and pants on the brick patio. Unbelievable. Cerebellar neuron loss induced by alcohol+ε4? Or maybe sleep deprivation. I feel like an old man.

I'm really keeping doctors busy this year....
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Happy to hear you're on the mend. The horse accidents occurred at age 10, so let's not read too much into this incident or it look like I don't even have a cerebrum! My major bike accident happened after not sleeping well. Sleep deprivation is highly correlated to errors, perhaps especially for E4s.