Brainstorming about our 2017 meet-up!

circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Brainstorming about our 2017 meet-up!

Post by circular »

This calendar at AlzForum is worth referencing, although I don't see any good possibilities for subject, time and place unless fewer-to-no people from the US can attend (overseas conferences in awesome places!).
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
evelynanne
Contributor
Contributor

Post by evelynanne »

Hi all! I have been waiting to see where AHS will be this year--they have narrowed it down to Seattle, Phoenix, or New York. I definitely plan to attend that, if I can. Also, The Wahls Protocol Seminar is in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, August 3-5, and I will be the emcee for that this year--probably Iowa in August isn't the most tempting proposition, but Dr. Wahls would certainly welcome you all and probably give you a good group rate (details to be published soon). Whatever you all decide, I would definitely go if I don't have a conflict. Regional meets sound good too, but I like to travel anywhere, so open to whatever. I personally love the idea of a retreat-type atmosphere, but I also think getting speakers is great and if it's in conjunction with another event that would have the kind of speakers we want, that's probably the easiest and most affordable way to get people to come have dinner (quiet private room for sure this year!!) and speak informally. Anyway, that's my two cents.

Eve
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

For me, the time we spent in group accommodations and the interaction it allowed in Berkeley was excellent. If that could be duplicated wherever we go....
Last edited by Tincup on Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tincup
E3,E4
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Always having a good time coming up with ideas I can't help with ;) , when I look at the major calendar from AlzForum, which appears to be repeated at the Journal for Alzheimer's Research, I can't help but notice there are no conferences yet taking a hard look at where the data stands on prevention. I'm wondering if we need to try to plan maybe a one day conference in a major metropolitan area where we can get extensive media coverage for both our forum and the topic. If we have some of the leading researchers in this area, it would be hard for it not to be included in these calendars the research community must access regularly. Maybe it would even attract new researchers to the prevention fold.

Topics might be:

Introduction: What is apoe4.info
State of the evidence: A foundation for prevention right beneath our feet (Alzheimer's Assn in a nod to conventional circles?)
Genetics: What can we learn from the ancestral APOE allele?
Protocols: What the network approach is teaching us using the Bredesen protocol
Research methodologies I: Will traditional, one-variable research models get us to prevention [Edit: and treatment]? (Cleveland clinic where Bredesen's trial was accepted?)
Research methodologies II: Including apoe genotyping in all Alzheimer's clinical trials, advantages and limitations
Horizons: The vagus nerve and discoveries in biome/brain research
An overview and case studies from apoE4.info

That's just off the cuff, not the best wording.

I wouldn't anticipate a large attendance, at least at first, but if the talks were recorded it would be great to make them widely available for researchers who are curious but not enough so to attend.

Sorry, I know the board is probably too busy for this, but the thread does say 'brainstorming' :D
Last edited by circular on Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Stavia, really??? :D (Happy dance!) Huge thanks for all who've shared your ideas. Our board of directors is paying attention to everything. Circ, nothing is too crazy when you brainstorm. I completely agree with your assessment of offerings for AD prevention. NOTHING is available and all of the great AD conferences are overseas this year. I think putting something together for the general public (with ApoE4 as an important side topic) would draw an enormous crowd. Putting an ApoE4 conference together for researchers is my dream goal. Keep your ideas coming!
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Long story. Only those two weeks. xxx
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

FYI, here's a link about the Family Reunion accommodations at the YMCA of the Rockies:

http://www.coloradoconferencecenters.co ... -reunions/
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

Circular wrote:
Another idea would be to have a volunteer keep up a Google map in the apoe4 Google account that shows pins where members live...
Since my foot is aching, I've elected not to ski today and I'm just sitting here in our condo, so I thought I might do a favor and try to collect information on where our members live from their profiles in an effort to help the board figure out where we should have our next meet-up. I called up about 40 members and what I learned is most of the members do not put where they live (or, understandably, anything else for that matter) on their profile.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

I echo George's comment that our stay in the crazy hippie house was totally stunning. One of the highlights of my whole life.
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lucy5 »

Wherever and whatever form the next meet-up takes, I plan to be there. AHS16 was a great experience in so many ways...but the most meaningful part for me was meeting and spending time with members of this group. A really big hippie house where we can all hang out together sounds like a little bit of heaven...