Brainstorming about our 2017 meet-up!

circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Brainstorming about our 2017 meet-up!

Post by circular »

Maybe we should take our message to the highways in VW vans. We can stop along the way and educate and forum members and leave and join as it suits their geographical needs :D
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Circ, you crack me up. Can we paint the vans psychedelic colors?

I agree with Lucy, that the important part for me was the connection with everyone. And I appreciated that Julie, Stavia, Marc and I could have some board/moderator discussions. Those meetings were short, but extremely effective.

So, whatever we do, I'd like to see some time to get together and just talk. Seems important since as a community because we are at a critical point - growing, attracting outside interest - and could use some feedback/idea generating time.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: Brainstorming about our 2017 meet-up!

Post by Stavia »

SusanJ wrote:Circ, you crack me up. Can we paint the vans psychedelic colors?

I agree with Lucy, that the important part for me was the connection with everyone. And I appreciated that Julie, Stavia, Marc and I could have some board/moderator discussions. Those meetings were short, but extremely effective.

So, whatever we do, I'd like to see some time to get together and just talk. Seems important since as a community because we are at a critical point - growing, attracting outside interest - and could use some feedback/idea generating time.
Orange and purple.

Agreed Susan, being together in person was IMO extremely valuable.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

SusanJ wrote:Circ, you crack me up. Can we paint the vans psychedelic colors?
I actually had 'psychedelic' in there but took it out for fear some newcomers might think we're all on LSD here or something :lol: :roll:
Stavia wrote:Agreed Susan, being together in person was IMO extremely valuable.
It may be that in this era of video recording and shared lecture summaries etc. that it's time together that's the key value of the conferences that have been the jumping board for meeting up. It may be that the meeting up itself should be the focus, and for that I'm back to regions so that more among the forum members can benefit. Most people just don't have the disposable money or time off to add a national meetup to their other agendas. Also, if I were traveling to a another apoe4 region it would be fun to join their meetup if one was happening. For example I'm a long distance caretaker so I make at least two trips a year to another region. At the same time of course there are those who wouldn't go just to meet up, but would if there were the added value of a conference. Just thinking out loud ...

I don't see a poll feature but it would be interesting to set up an anonymous online survey and see whether members would rather the board focus first on national meetups or regional organization, if national where they'd like to see a national meetup, what time of year etc.
hill dweller
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by hill dweller »

Circular wrote:
set up an anonymous online survey and see whether members would rather the board focus first on national meetups or regional organization, if national where they'd like to see a national meetup, what time of year etc.
Excellent idea. Survey Monkey?

Data to collect: location, rank importance of speakers versus members, date, cost, etc.
LG1
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by LG1 »

I am definitely interested in both large group and regional Meetup. Let me ruminate on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ε4/ε4
Starfish77
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Starfish77 »

I love the idea of the map so we could have the option to get in touch with those near us if we chose. I think it would be great to know people that are within driving distance. I would be interested in a national or regional meetup.
Starfish
Bettylacy
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Bettylacy »

Hi, this is my first post. I just found you all last nite. I am so excited to have a science oriented along with sharing of personal experience site for addressing Apoe 4 concerns. I am a heterozygous 63 yr old psychiatrist who has been on a mission to understandi the Apoe gene and implications there of for the past 2 years, since my family and I were tested. I'm relieved to know you have 800 members that I can now begin to communicate with about this genetic susceptibility to Alzheimers disesase, one of the most cruelest diseases IMO. My mother was diagnosed 3+ years ago after 5 years of MCI. She was scheduled to attend the Bredesen program thru Bucks institute but had to pull out because of progression in her memory impairment and uncertainty as to how to implement the program at her Assisted Living facility. So much more I could say here but want to respond to the idea of a meet up.

I like the idea of a meet up and was wondering about the possibility of doing this at upcoming Institute of Functional Medicine's annual meeting in Los Angeles June 1-3. The conference is called "The Dynamic Brain". I am already registered. THe program in March in Huntington Beach is not possible for me to attend, mainly because the cost is $2450. THe June program is much more affordable.
APOe 3/4; If you want to go fast go alone. If you want to go far go together. African proverb. :D
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Wecome Betty!
Good to have you here.
So that this thread doesnt get muddled, would you like to post in the introduction thread so we can welcome and get to know you in more detail there?
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Bettylacy welcome! Yes, please post more in the introduction thread about your story, if you're so inclined.

Your idea about the IFM conference looks like a great option! I can also get there by car and it should I be time I can make it. Later in the summer never works for me due to other obligations. So that's the selfish reason I like it, but the topic, 'The Dynamic Brain' is so totally on point. I see on the speaker page that Dr. Bredesen is already scheduled as well as Drs. Perlmutter and Tanzi. Rick Hanson is also excellent and I think will emphasize avenues to balance out all the diet/exercise emphasis that are sorely underplayed in our forum. He focuses not only on the science but on states of mind (mindfulness etc). We really need more of this! Somehow our meditation threads always fall by the wayside, much to my chagrin. Typical industrialized world hyperfocus on doing over being, which itself, I think, is an apoe4 mismatch (not that we don't need the exercise and dietary focus ;-).