Brainstorming about our 2017 meet-up!

circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Brainstorming about our 2017 meet-up!

Post by circular »

Look for me at the zoo, I'll be in the stressed out caregiver exhibit.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

circular wrote:Look for me at the zoo, I'll be in the stressed out caregiver exhibit.
Ha Ha Ha. I know how hard care giving can be.

When my now late 20's children were 5 & 7 or 6 & 8, we were at the San Diego Zoo. We went to the orangutan area & the large male was sitting there while the female was fellating him. A quick intro in to animal behavior. You never know what you'll see :lol:
Tincup
E3,E4
Bettylacy
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Bettylacy »

Julee, Thanks for all the hard work in lining up speakers for the meet up. I'm rethinking making it to 2 of the dinners since I will also want to spend time with my San Diego family. Appreciate you weighing the pros and cons on dinners and getting feedback from the group. Since some have already paid its a slam dunk to proceed with the original plan. My sister also a 3/4 will be attending the meetings with me. I agree with the selections of Ann Hathaway for Sunday and renting a room that is catered sounds the easiest. Regarding other speakers I'm not too familiar with them so can't comment. The zoo trip on Monday sounds good. George N why did Jeff Gerber say OMG when he saw your Gundry labs? Was he shocked at your levels or his panel of markers or both? Looking forward to seeing everyone in San Diego. I'm considering going to IFM
APOe 3/4; If you want to go fast go alone. If you want to go far go together. African proverb. :D
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Bettylacy wrote:George N why did Jeff Gerber say OMG when he saw your Gundry labs? Was he shocked at your levels or his panel of markers or both?
Well, I haven't talked to Jeff since he sent that comment so I'll have to speculate. I'm guessing it is because of the large number of markers that are unusual to test for in the general population. Most who aren't Gundry patients don't understand how he works. He runs these labs on all his patients for every consultation and considers them to volunteers in his investigations. I'm not sure how he codes them to successfully run them through insurance as even with insurance discounts they run around $2000 for each Theresa & me every time they are run (total cost - our cost plus what the insurance pays), which is 2x/year for us and up to 4x/year for others with more issues.

For those who've not seen them, we've linked redacted copies here and in our most recent, added a bunch of autoimmune markers from Vibrant America here.

As an aside, he uses particularly sensitive individuals as "lectin testers" as illustrated by this story from his book:
Jane Y., a fifty-year-old nurse who lives in the Pacific Northwest, had been troubled by intractable migraines for most of her life. She had run the gamut of treatment options without success. Jane sought me out after hearing of my successes with other migraine sufferers, including myself— I know from personal experience how awful migraines can be. She immediately started the Plant Paradox Program and within days her migraines abated. She was delighted, but after a few months she visited to discuss a dilemma. One of Jane’s passions is canning (and eating) a zucchini and tomato relish she makes with the vegetables in her garden. With both fruits now off limits and canning time fast approaching, she was in a quandary. I suggested that we do a lectin challenge: she should can half of her relish using her traditional canning method, and the other half using a pressure cooker. Jane returned home delighted, and a few weeks later she called me. Not surprising, within a few minutes of eating her regular canned relish, wham, a migraine struck. But the next day, when she gingerly tasted her pressure-cooked relish, nothing happened. She ate some more, and, again, nothing. Jane was back in business with her relish! Thanks to her lectin sensitivity, she has gone on to become one of my most cherished lectin testers. Despite her best efforts with pressure cooking wheat, oats, rye, and barley for an hour (that is a long time in a pressure cooker), she still gets migraines from these grains.

Gundry, Steven R., M.D. (2017-04-25). The Plant Paradox: The Hidden Dangers in "Healthy" Foods That Cause Disease and Weight Gain (Kindle Locations 3173-3182). HarperCollins. Kindle Edition.
Tincup
E3,E4
Starfish77
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Starfish77 »

Play Day--- I vote for the zoo. It was one of the first "barless" zoos to put the animals in a more natural setting. I've heard that more money was spent on the original landscaping than on the animals. San Diego has a mild climate that allows many tropical plants to thrive. Even without the animals, it would be worth seeing.
Starfish
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Great news! I got confirmation today that Dr. Ann Hathaway can join us for Sunday evening. My plan is to put us in a conference room with A/V equip right onsite. I'll arrange a catered meal. Details to follow soon.

I'm thrilled that you can even make the conference, Betty! (I know how much you have on your plate.) Re. meals, feel free to stay for whatever works for your schedule.

Yes, Starfish, I think everyone wants to attend the zoo on our play day. Let's consider that settled. I really think we need a photo op for multiple Alzheimer's news outlets of us meeting the gorillas: Original Humans Spend Time with their Predecessors :lol:
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

I've just updated our 3rd annual meet-up announcement. Please take note of the fact that the hotel provides complimentary shuttle service to and from the airport and to the zoo. That may obviate the need to rent a car for those of us who plan to fly in for the event.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

I've had an interesting (good!) development in our meet-up planning. It looks like Dr. Bredesen may be joining Dr. Ross to speak about CIRS/ biotoxin illness as a contributor to AD. That talk would move to the 4th and Dave Feldman/Cholesterol Code would switch to the 3rd. I'll firm this up ASAP. Stay tuned...
GOLDTHREAD
Contributor
Contributor

Post by GOLDTHREAD »

Such great news Julie!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

yay!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk