Brainstorming about our 2017 meet-up!

KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Brainstorming about our 2017 meet-up!

Post by KatieS »

Great conference find Bettylacy. I hope to join you & Cir at this conference. The schedule seems designed for us! Please PM me if anyone want to drive with me down from NoCalif or room share.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Welcome Bettylacy and thanks for letting us know about THIS opportunity. It looks amazing. That being said, the registration cost is higher than some may want to pay- $950 if you register before 2/24. Please let me know if you're interested in attending. I certainly am and would love to meet up with others.

Huge thanks to everyone who has so generously shared their ideas in this thread. Behind the scenes, our board of directors has taking in all of your suggestions and has been working to put together some options. First, we undoubtably need to offer regional opportunities to simply gather and socialize. I'm in NW Indiana (near Chicago) and would love to host a Midwest gathering just for coffee or lunch. Dr. Martha Clare Morris, the author of the MIND Diet, is at Rush University Medical Center here in Chicago. We could ask her to join us. I'm hoping that other members from different regions will volunteer to put together similar gatherings. I'll start a thread later today so we can gauge interest and sort out logistics.

In terms of our big annual meet-up, one of our top options is to to do something in conjunction with Dr. Bredesen's upcoming documentary (8/11) and Random House book (8/22) release. Since members of our community are featured in both the film and book, we're toying around with the idea of hosting a film premiere with Dr. Bredesen for the general public that could also serve as a fundraiser for our group. We'd also set up a few days worth of meetings and activities with other ApoE4-focused researchers in the Bay area or we could even do this in another geographical region. This is just ONE idea up for consideration. Please share your thoughts about this option... and keep generating new ideas. I've personally learned about multiple terrific opportunities just by reading your suggestions.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Juliegee wrote:THIS opportunity ... looks amazing. That being said, the registration cost is higher than some may want to pay- $950 if you register before 2/24. Please let me know if you're interested in attending. I certainly am and would love to meet up with others.
Oh fudge. I can't afford that :( , but since I could drive and have a place to stay I might be able to come just to meet up with forum members. We could have activities planned for those who can't attend the conference. We'll see what happens.

I got to wondering if we could have a booth in the 'exhibit hall' (whether or not a meetup was planned), which for this conference goes by the name Practice Implementation Showroom. Turns out they are focused on companies selling products and space is very expensive. Exhibitors have the option of purchasing a sponsorship sign or banner for $2-3000. I wonder if they would make an exception for us as a non-profit and let us just be a sponsor without and exhibit table, maybe even at a reduced rate. While hope springs eternal, probably not because it would set precedent, but that made me think ... What if we had a brochure that doctors could give any of their patients who test apoe4 positive? There's how to pay for it, but if that could be solved ... Now I'm straying from the OP ...
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Bettylacy
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Bettylacy »

Stavia wrote:Wecome Betty!
Good to have you here.
So that this thread doesnt get muddled, would you like to post in the introduction thread so we can welcome and get to know you in more detail there?
Sure! great! Will do.
APOe 3/4; If you want to go fast go alone. If you want to go far go together. African proverb. :D
Bettylacy
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Bettylacy »

circular wrote:Bettylacy welcome! Yes, please post more in the introduction thread about your story, if you're so inclined.

Your idea about the IFM conference looks like a great option! I can also get there by car and it should I be time I can make it. Later in the summer never works for me due to other obligations. So that's the selfish reason I like it, but the topic, 'The Dynamic Brain' is so totally on point. I see on the speaker page that Dr. Bredesen is already scheduled as well as Drs. Perlmutter and Tanzi. Rick Hanson is also excellent and I think will emphasize avenues to balance out all the diet/exercise emphasis that are sorely underplayed in our forum. He focuses not only on the science but on states of mind (mindfulness etc). We really need more of this! Somehow our meditation threads always fall by the wayside, much to my chagrin. Typical industrialized world hyperfocus on doing over being, which itself, I think, is an apoe4 mismatch (not that we don't need the exercise and dietary focus ;-).
Yes, there are some great lectures scheduled @ the IFM conference. I agree with you circular about the states of mind and the need for these to be emphasized more in our understanding of neuroresiliency. Establishing a multitude of tools via different modalities is important and mindfulness/meditation certainly are part of this new paradyme shift. (Richard Davidson's work at UW@Madison and of course the Dali Lama's interest have added greatly to this "Being" forum.
APOe 3/4; If you want to go fast go alone. If you want to go far go together. African proverb. :D
LG1
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by LG1 »

Juliegee wrote:Welcome Bettylacy and thanks for letting us know about THIS opportunity. It looks amazing. That being said, the registration cost is higher than some may want to pay- $950 if you register before 2/24. Please let me know if you're interested in attending. I certainly am and would love to meet up with others.
I am very interested in attending the IFM conference but 50/50 due to the cost. It depends on how many of our group commits to it. I'd hate to spend that and fly out there only to find myself alone! Yikes! Is there a way to keep track of those of us registered?
Juliegee wrote:Huge thanks to everyone who has so generously shared their ideas in this thread. Behind the scenes, our board of directors has taking in all of your suggestions and has been working to put together some options. First, we undoubtably need to offer regional opportunities to simply gather and socialize. I'm in NW Indiana (near Chicago) and would love to host a Midwest gathering just for coffee or lunch. Dr. Martha Clare Morris, the author of the MIND Diet, is at Rush University Medical Center here in Chicago. We could ask her to join us. I'm hoping that other members from different regions will volunteer to put together similar gatherings. I'll start a thread later today so we can gauge interest and sort out logistics.
I'm in Dallas, TX and would be interested in a regional gathering. Would it work to start a Texas thread or is there a better way of determining who is in my area?
Juliegee wrote:In terms of our big annual meet-up, one of our top options is to to do something in conjunction with Dr. Bredesen's upcoming documentary (8/11) and Random House book (8/22) release. Since members of our community are featured in both the film and book, we're toying around with the idea of hosting a film premiere with Dr. Bredesen for the general public that could also serve as a fundraiser for our group. We'd also set up a few days worth of meetings and activities with other ApoE4-focused researchers in the Bay area or we could even do this in another geographical region. This is just ONE idea up for consideration. Please share your thoughts about this option... and keep generating new ideas. I've personally learned about multiple terrific opportunities just by reading your suggestions.
I like this idea a lot, how fun!
ε4/ε4
Bettylacy
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Bettylacy »

KatieS wrote:Great conference find Bettylacy. I hope to join you & Cir at this conference. The schedule seems designed for us! Please PM me if anyone want to drive with me down from NoCalif or room share.
Thanks for the offer of the drive down KatieS, but I just made my flight reservations. THere are some pretty cheap flights out of Santa Rosa airport in Sonoma County. Look foward to seeing you that and anyone else who can come to the June Dynamic BRain Forum.
Bettylacy
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Bettylacy »

LG1 wrote:
Juliegee wrote:Welcome Bettylacy and thanks for letting us know about THIS opportunity. It looks amazing. That being said, the registration cost is higher than some may want to pay- $950 if you register before 2/24. Please let me know if you're interested in attending. I certainly am and would love to meet up with others.
I am very interested in attending the IFM conference but 50/50 due to the cost. It depends on how many of our group commits to it. I'd hate to spend that and fly out there only to find myself alone! Yikes! Is there a way to keep track of those of us registered?
It would be great to meet up with you at the IFM conference. I will be there!
Juliegee wrote:Huge thanks to everyone who has so generously shared their ideas in this thread. Behind the scenes, our board of directors has taking in all of your suggestions and has been working to put together some options. First, we undoubtably need to offer regional opportunities to simply gather and socialize. I'm in NW Indiana (near Chicago) and would love to host a Midwest gathering just for coffee or lunch. Dr. Martha Clare Morris, the author of the MIND Diet, is at Rush University Medical Center here in Chicago. We could ask her to join us. I'm hoping that other members from different regions will volunteer to put together similar gatherings. I'll start a thread later today so we can gauge interest and sort out logistics.
I'm in Dallas, TX and would be interested in a regional gathering. Would it work to start a Texas thread or is there a better way of determining who is in my area?
Juliegee wrote:In terms of our big annual meet-up, one of our top options is to to do something in conjunction with Dr. Bredesen's upcoming documentary (8/11) and Random House book (8/22) release. Since members of our community are featured in both the film and book, we're toying around with the idea of hosting a film premiere with Dr. Bredesen for the general public that could also serve as a fundraiser for our group. We'd also set up a few days worth of meetings and activities with other ApoE4-focused researchers in the Bay area or we could even do this in another geographical region. This is just ONE idea up for consideration. Please share your thoughts about this option... and keep generating new ideas. I've personally learned about multiple terrific opportunities just by reading your suggestions.
I like this idea a lot, how fun!
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Thanks for bumping this up, LG1 and Betty! I'm still planning on attending. I think GOLDTHREAD, Maureen, Katie (?), Lucy and a few others are considering as well. The cheaper registration price is available through 2/24. Please let us know if you'll be there so we can all plan to meet up. Here's a link to the conference including registration info.
rarnesen
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rarnesen »

Hi,

Very excited about this as I joined this too late to hear about Boulder (where my son is a student)! Sorry if this has already been talked about but piggybacking on some of the low-carb conferences would be ideal as the experts are already there. I am in the Midwest so would also be interested in a Chicago meet up. As far as dream list of speakers:

Ron Rosedale,
Peter Attia
Rhonda Patrick (she is working on some Apoe4 stuff so would be good timing)
Ted Naiman
Jeff Gerber
Sara Hallberg
Dom D'Agastino