The Dynamic Brain Conference in LA this Summer

karelena
Contributor
Contributor

Re: The Dynamic Brain Conference in LA this Summer

Post by karelena »

I am disappointed that I am missing this conference and I live in LA! I am working. I look forward to the notes that will be posted. Let me know if the group is getting together for dinner tomorrow, I would love to join you.
karelena
Contributor
Contributor

Post by karelena »

I looked at the conference schedule and Saturday night is an end of conference Gala, so those attending will probably go to that. Maybe I will see some of you in August at the meet up if I can go. I will not know my schedule until July 1 but fingers are crossed! :)
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: The Dynamic Brain Conference in LA this Summer

Post by Stavia »

karelena wrote:I looked at the conference schedule and Saturday night is an end of conference Gala, so those attending will probably go to that. Maybe I will see some of you in August at the meet up if I can go. I will not know my schedule until July 1 but fingers are crossed! :)
would love to catch up with you again!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Sorry, karelena. I just saw your post. I would love to see you, but, the schedule here has been jam packed. (Can you join us in San Diego?) There's 1,300 attendees. I think I've connected with everyone from our community, but may still have a few new friends to meet.

The lectures have been phenomenal. Neuroplasticity is real. There's so much hope for our community. Dr. Tanzi's talk has made the biggest impact on me so far in terms of actionable information- perhaps because his information is completely new to me. I'll share much more when I'm on my flight home tomorrow.

A bunch of us met (not everyone) met at a Mediterranean restaurant last night. We took a pic to share with you all. XO
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lucy5 »

Julie wrote:The lectures have been phenomenal. Neuroplasticity is real. There's so much hope for our community. Dr. Tanzi's talk has made the biggest impact on me so far in terms of actionable information- perhaps because his information is completely new to me.
I'm a huge fan of Rudy Tanzi; follow his research and read every interview with him I can find. Can't wait to hear more of your thoughts about his presentation, Julie. Also, thanks for sharing the great photo of you guys!
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

Thanks for including me in dinner! A great group of people. I thought the conference was outstanding. I'm a bit of an outsider, not a medical doctor, nutritionist, etc. But those talks were great. Lots of practical stuff to apply today, and hope from seeing smart people figuring it out. So much to learn.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Tom was a delight and complete sport! What that photo doesn’t show you was the other 10+ women at our table that we had befriended throughout the day. Tom managed to put up with us all and share information about about polyphenols along the way. I’m waiting for him to revolutionize the EVOO industry by teaching growers how to raise polyphenols. He’s got the formula.

I'm typing on my phone and only have a few moments before I jump on my flight, but wanted to briefly touch upon the information that Dr. Tanzi shared that was new to me… and well, everyone. He described experiments that he (and his labmates) have been conducting with his "Alzheimer’s in a Dish." While everyone else is still trying to elucidate the relationship between beta-amyloid and tau, he described watching abeta PROGRESS to tau. That felt important. He also described a fascinating exercise that they’ve been conducting in his lab where they’ve identified 38 different compounds (pharma & non-pharma) to see which would have the greatest effect. The top two candidates, which effectively HALTED the progression of abeta to tau were: (drumroll, please) sodium cromolyn and skullcap. Sodium cromolyn, as some already know, is a mast cell stabilizer. Sound familiar? Dr. Tanzi carefully pointed out that we can’t use this therapeutically as we have no way of administering to the brain. Hmmm, I remembered intranasal sodium cromolyn that might have a decent chance. It’s called Nasalcrom and is available OTC in any drugstore. I deal with a chronically stuffy nose, so plan to add it to my regimen. Who knows? Skullcap looks interesting, but we have no way of knowing how much, if any, would ever cross the BBB. Dr. Tanzi also mentioned that ashwagandha was effective, but only formulations made from the root, not the leaf. For this experiment, he claimed to buy the herbs and supps from Amazon, same as many of us. I haven’t taken a dive on PubMed yet to to see if any of this has been published, but I doubt it. It was fascinating to hear brand new information before it’s been formally published. I thought these tidbits would be of interest to you all.

So many other speakers were outstanding: Drs. Bredesen, Perlmutter, Wahls, Hathaway (on hormones) BUT the information was not new to me. I hope others will share tidbits that felt new and relevant to YOU in this thread. Some speakers that were new to me, and who had very relevant information for our community were: Joe Pizzorno on toxins & Annie Hopper on retraining the limbic system. I’ll write more when I get a chance. Safe travels to all of my old and new friends who are traveling today. More when I get a chance. -XO
Sandy57
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Sandy57 »

Aloha Julie

Thank you for the quick update. Awesome reporting and great new information. However, like I have said many times on theses boards and to people I know in the medical field. The big boogeyman is the BBB. I know it might be easier for 4's to get some things through, but still at very very small quantities; and to be honest, mostly material that we don't want to get to the brain.

That is my argument / concern about polyphenols. Which by the way Sandy and I take, and a lot of as a matter of fact. But science has not shown or developed a way for most PP / supplements to get to the brain directly. I will concede there are a few, but they are definitely the minority. So Rudi in a Petri dish has shown incredible promise of what will work. Now we need to take it a step further and work on liposomal and nasal inhalation methods to get these products into the brain and see how they work.

An example, say we can get one of these two products into the brain , reduce Tau; do we see improvements in cognition, are the reductions temporary and do they cause other issues, etc. etc. This has become a very sore spot for me. Let's put some of the research dollars into delivery systems. Big pharma is always looking for the knockout punch (the massive score on finding the one off drug) , how about finding a way to get substance A into the brain directly. Even though that substance is around and you don't make money on developing something new, if you are the company that comes up with a method to get a product into the brain directly, you make a fortune on that patent.

Ok small rant which I seldom do in public, but very sore spot for me. That is why I think Bredesen's approach is best, not perfect, needs some tweaking, but until we have a way for drug A / supplement A, to get into the brain directly to REALLY test efficacy , it is the best we have at this point.
If anybody is going to try the sodium cromolyn PLEASE be careful. This drug does have some mean side effects for those with any kind of heart disease, rhythm disorder, kidney issues, liver issues and pulmonary issues as well. Please read side effects on google first. Not trying to scare anybody but, these drugs do have reactions for some people.

Ok hope everybody has an awesome day.
Frank
Sandy57
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Sandy57 »

Not advocating the use of any drug or supplement as a disclaimer. But if you are going to use cromolyn sodium, the NasalCrom is much safer than the prescription drug used for asthma with nebulizers. It has less side effects and unless you are constantly inhaling , much less chance for negative reactions. Be careful, be smart, read, listen and watch for side effects if anybody is going to add to their arsenal.

Frank