Stanford University Department of Neurology Research Participation Opportunity

Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: A research opportunity for healthy E4 carriers...

Post by Julie G »

We have members who continue to participate in this ongoing study opportunity at Stanford with Dr. Michael Greicius. Please see this link for the most up-to-date information. Apparently, if you qualify, they're willing to fly folks in to participate. This could be a great opportunity for a little "working" getaway to the Bay Area. Huge thanks to those who have given their time for this cause.
Fc1345linville
Contributor
Contributor

Stanford University Department of Neurology Research Participation Opportunity

Post by Fc1345linville »

If you are at least 70 yrs old and are an APOE 4/4 in good cognitive health, please read about, and consider joining this study on the link below.
If you are at least 80 yrs old and are a 3/4 in good cognitive health, you too should read about and consider joining this study.
All of you youngsters might also find the study interesting, so feel free to check it out, but they are not looking for you. 8-)

As a male, 4/4, 75 year old, I found out about this study from our own KatieS about a year ago and went through testing at Stanford in March, 2016. I live on the East coast, but Stanford paid for my airfare and hotel for two nights. The actual tests (see link) took one full day and a half of the next day. As for the cognitive tests, if you're like me, you always want to "get 'em all right", but they are trying to test our limits, so we usually don't. They were interesting, challenging and sometimes fun. No problems with the blood draw or MRI.

Last week I went out to Stanford again, for followup testing, and again found it to be an interesting process. Dr. Michael Greicius, who is in charge of the study, and his staff are all very professional and take good care of you during your stay. The primary goal of the study is to identify "genetic factors that are protective against the development of Alzheimer's Disease."

If you have not visited the San Francisco Bay area, or even if you have, and you think you qualify for this study, I urge you to contact Stanford for more information. They are looking for new participant volunteers.

http://lilyhyunkim.wixsite.com/apoe4study

FC
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Stanford University Department of Neurology Research Participation Opportunity

Post by circular »

So glad you're doing this Fc1345Linville! Wish my mother could travel ... I hope you took some extra days in SF!
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Stanford University Department of Neurology Research Participation Opportunity

Post by Julie G »

Huge thanks for your service, FC, and for making others aware :D
Fc1345linville
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Fc1345linville »

If you are 70 or older with two Apoe4 alleles, or 80 or older with one Apoe4 allele, and you have not yet read about this study, details are available in earlier posts. What is new, however, is the name of the Study Coordinator. The person to contact is Mr. Yongha Kim, yongha@stanford.edu

I am one of several forum members participating in this study, and I have been invited to return in the Spring of next year. If any of you have questions related to participation I would be glad to try and answer them.

Fc
Fc1345linville
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Fc1345linville »

Background: I am 75 yrs old, 4/4, still quite healthy

As a followup to my August 28 post, my plans to return to Stanford for my third visit for Dr. Greicius's study are now firm for next March. In prior visits I received all the recommended tests (including MRI and PET scans), but opted out of the lumbar puncture after reading about some rare but nasty side affects.

Dr. Mike recently asked me to reconsider having this test done on the upcoming visit, citing their extensive issueless experience with the procedure. After consulting with my Neurologist son (who agrees with Dr. Mike's assessment of limited risk), I have agreed to have it done this time.

As several other participants (or family there of) have noted, this study like many, does not reveal participant's individual test results to the participants. That used to bother me, but not anymore. I continue to focus on managing the lifestyle issues (exercise daily if possible, eat right, sleep right, take a few recommended supplements). I encourage other forum members to participate in these AD-related studies if they can. The medical community needs our help.

Fc
Bettylacy
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Bettylacy »

Starfish,
Thanks for participating in this study. Regarding your questions about spinal tap and MRI's there are no specific side effects but as Katie says they are noisy. Spinal taps can sometimes can be associated with post procedure headaches because of the pressure changes due to the puncture to retrieve spinal fluid. However most of the time this is alleviated by just laying down for a short time after the procedure. My mother E3/4 participated in UCI's program and had at least 2 or 3 spinal taps as part of their research @the MIND Institute. As with this study the information was not available as to her individual tests. My mother was in her mid to late 80's when she had the tests and did very well without any complications. She was most happy receiving a crisp $100 bill after each test and always left the lab with a big smile. Maybe you'll get one of those too! THanks again for helping us all out with this research project. We want to know about those special protective genes you carry! :)
APOe 3/4; If you want to go fast go alone. If you want to go far go together. African proverb. :D
Starfish77
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Starfish77 »

I was not called to participate in a second visit.
Starfish
Fc1345linville
Contributor
Contributor

Stanford University Medical Center Alzheimer's Disease Study

Post by Fc1345linville »

I am a 4/4 75 year old with no apparent symptoms of Alzheimer's Disease, and I have been a participant in this study for over two years with my third visit for testing scheduled this week. Questions of eligibility, what the testing entails and location are answered in the attached flyer. Stanford is often willing to reimburse domestic travel expenses, so do not be deterred if you are not in California. All of the people I have dealt with at Stanford are terrific and would be glad to talk to you about the study.

Fc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.