Stanford University Department of Neurology Research Participation Opportunity

Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: A research opportunity for healthy E4 carriers...

Post by Stavia »

<3 you Starfish. Big hug from far away.
Starfish77
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Starfish77 »

Stavia,
Just like a falling object gathers momentum as it goes through space, a hug from far away gathers momentum and is even
better than a local one. I'm sending you one right back!
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

So true Starfish77!
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Stanford is still recruiting volunteers for healthy E4 carriers. All the flyer contact information in the first post is the same, except the criteria has been changed per Dr. Greicius:
"We are definitely still interested in recruiting older E4 carriers without memory or cognitive concerns. We have upped our cut offs some so we are now looking for people over 75 with two copies of E4 or over 80 with one copy. "

Actually isn't this good news that they had to up the ages?

For those out of the Bay area, he does have travel/lodging funds. They were wonderfully accommodating when I scheduled my 97 y/o mom. Some of our parents would qualify and Stanford can confirm the E4 (if you are 4/4). They are interested in discovering protective genes in this study, and once found, might study offspring of these protective gene carriers.
Fc1345linville
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Fc1345linville »

Somehow I missed this post first time around, but living on the East coast would have been a barrier anyway, and now I discover I am too young (73) to be included as a 4/4 member! Perhaps Johns Hopkins or Harvard will do similar studies??
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Fc, I'll ask Dr Greicius if he is aware of other studies he could direct you to enroll in and PM you. Thanks for trying to volunteer!
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Fc, please check your PM as I have information from Dr. Greicius.
Fc1345linville
Contributor
Contributor

"Healthy ApoE4 Carriers Needed For Alzheimer's Disease Study"

Post by Fc1345linville »

Thanks to KatieS, a fellow forum participant, I learned that Dr. Michael Greicius, Stanford School of Medicine, is the Principal Investigator for a study that is headlined with this statement: "Healthy APOE4 Carriers needed For Alzheimer's Disease Study". The study announcement goes on to say they are looking for healthy volunteers to participate in a study on genetic factors that are prohibitive against the development of Alzheimer's Disease. Their goal is to identify genetic influences on the development of AD to aid in the better understanding and treatment of AD. Specifically, they want volunteers who are at least in their early 70s and with at least one copy of APOE4 who have no history of memory loss or neurological illness. If you are interested in volunteering for this study and think you qualify, contact Sarah Schlegal, schleg@stanford.edu.

I recently spent a full day of tests with his group at Stanford, including a neurological exam, memory tests, saliva test and a MRI scan, plus a discussion with Dr. Greicius at the end. In my case, for example, as a homozygous APOE4, the study hopes to address the question "do I (and others like me) have other genes that might be counteracting the expression of symptoms of the APOE4?" The consent form for the study makes it clear that they will not be sharing the results of tests on individual volunteers. I was simply told that all of the tests I participated in suggest that I am quite "normal" for people in my age group (I am a month away from 74).

Finally, I want to pass on information from my discussion with Dr. Greicius. I mentioned the high level of interest in our forum of Dr. Bredesen's work on AD. Dr. Greicius was well aware of it but was quite critical of the lack of basic clinical research standards in his work, suggesting that, in the medical community at least, his work is considered by many to not yet be supported by study results. I include this information to simply offer some perspective to the many Bredesen followers on the forum. I am not taking sides! I wish both Drs. Bredesen and Greicius success in their efforts to advance our knowledge of AD.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Thank you for your participation, FC! And, congrats on your “normal” status- very impressive for a 74 y/o homozygote :D. FWIW, I suspect your strong lifelong commitment to exercise has been extremely helpful. We have a few members who are involved with this study. I’d love to hear from any others. (For housekeeping purposes, I moved your post to this thread already devoted to Dr. Greicius's study.)

Dr. Greicius’s critique of Dr. Bredesen is fair. He hasn’t conducted any formal clinical trials to prove the efficacy of his approach. I hear several are in the works and will release more information as I’m able. It’s impressive that he’s yielding positive results, but his approach does need to be scientifically validated.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

I'm bumping this thread up to remind everyone of this ongoing opportunity. I was recently contacted by a member of Dr. Greicius's team who wants us to be aware that they are still recruiting. Huge thanks to our members who've already participated in this study. Please note that we have a new contact person at Stanford, Lily Kim. (I've underlined her information below.)

Healthy ApoE4 Carriers Needed for Alzheimer's Disease Study

What: The Department of Neurology and Neurological Sciences at Stanford University is looking for healthy volunteers to participate
in a study on genetic factors that are protective against the development of Alzheimer's Disease. The study involves brain imaging (MRI), genetic testing, memory testing, a blood draw, and a spinal fluid draw (optional). Our goal for this research is to identify genetic influences on the development of Alzheimer's Disease to aid in the better understanding and treatment of Alzheimer's Disease.

Where: All procedures will be performed at the Stanford University Medical Center. Travel will be reimbursed.

Commitment: Participation will involve 1 full day and 1 half day of participation. These visits may be spread out over a range of 2 months.

Eligibility: Healthy individuals with one or two copies of the ApoE4 allele. Individuals with one copy of the ApoE4 allele must be over the age of 80, and individuals with two copies of the ApoE4 allele must be over the age of 70. Participants must have no history of memory loss or neurological illness, no heart or vascular implants, and must be able to lay flat for a MRI scan.

What to expect if you volunteer for this study: One 60-minute MRI scan, a neurological exam, questionnaires, a neuropsychological
assessment (memory tests), and saliva sampling. You can elect to undergo a lumbar puncture (spinal fluid draw) and a blood draw for
additional data collection.

Contact us:
Lily Kim (lilyhkim@stanford.edu)
Principal Investigator: Michael Greicius, MD, MPH

Stanford Center for Memory Disorders, Department of Neurology and
Neurological Sciences, Stanford University School of Medicine

For general information about participant rights, contact 1-866-680-2906.