Stanford University Department of Neurology Research Participation Opportunity

Julie G
Mod
Mod

A research opportunity for healthy E4 carriers...

Post by Julie G »

Dr. Michael Greicius, from the Stanford Center for Memory Disorders, Department of Neurology and Neurological Sciences, Stanford University School of Medicine is conducting a study using healthy ApoE4 carriers to identify genetic influences on the development of Alzheimer’s Disease to aid in better understanding and treating the disease.

Eligible individuals with one copy of the ApoE4 allele must be over the age of 70 (if female) or over the age of 75 (if male). Individuals with two copies of the ApoE4 allele must be over the age of 65. Participants must have no history of memory loss or neurological illness, no heart or vascular implants, and must be able to lay flat for a MRI scan.

The study involves brain imaging (MRI), genetic testing, memory testing, a blood draw, and a spinal fluid draw. All procedures will be performed at the Stanford University Medical Center. Participation will involve 1 full day and 1 half day of participation. These visits may be spread out over a range of 2 months.

To learn more, please see the PDF below or contact: Sarah Schlegel schleg@stanford.edu / (650) 724-3747
Healthy APOE4 Flyer.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Starfish77
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: A research opportunity for healthy E4 carriers...

Post by Starfish77 »

Is there anything about the MRI body scan or the spinal puncture that could have adverse effects? I am certainly interested.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

I was hoping you'd be interested, sweet Starfish. YOU certainly have some protective genetics at play. Please contact Sarah to learn more. She'd be best equipped to answer your questions. FWIW, I've had many MRIs and am unaware of any negative effects. I can't speak to the spinal puncture... maybe others can?

I think Kit's Mom is already working with Dr. Greicius on this project. IMO, it's very exciting for our population. We've long spoken about doing a study on older E4s who DON"T develop Alzheimer's to retroactively untangle protective effects. It's gratifying to see Dr. Greicius and his team at Stanford begin to do just that :D Huge thanks to all who participate. We are learning from you.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Starfish, I hope you were able to connect with Dr. Greicius from my previous emails. Dr. Greicius's study of protective genes hopes to be funded in July, to include the very elderly like my 97 y/o mom. Anyone with non-AD parents might consider this study. I think this flyer refers to another more complete study of healthy older carriers.

As long as you do not have magnetic metal, the MRI is noisy, but noninvasive. Years ago, with HSV meningitis, I had the lumbar puncture, no problems. In fact, now I think you can drive home afterwards.
Starfish77
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Starfish77 »

Kitano,
I did contact Dr. Greicius. He said he would contact me in a few weeks when they have the details completed. Thanks
for the information about MRIs and spinal puncture.
Starfish
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Starfish,the protective gene study involves my mom and again, if approved, will be begin later. Sounds like this study described in the flyer is already funded, so you might be able to do both. Guess I want you included to help our prognosis stats!
Starfish77
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Starfish77 »

I'm going July 28 for cognitive testing and an MRI for this study. They are sending me a tube for saliva testing. We are not
allowed to see our own results but will be shown the final results of the research for the group as a whole.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Starfish, you are such an inspiration. We appreciate learning from you, even if it's something from your spit. ;)
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Yay, Starfish. Thank you for participating. You will ultimately be helping us all.
Starfish77
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Starfish77 »

I'm thankful that I'm healthy enough to participate in the study. One of the factors, all these studies on healthy aging agree on, is the importance of having a support group of friends. I find being in our group is so beneficial. It is more like an exteded family.