An opportunity to work with a health coach

slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Re: An opportunity to work with a health coach

Post by slacker »

The Functional Medicine Coaching Academy has changed elements of their program to comply with their credentialing agency. Unfortunately, these changes are affecting how to connect interested ApoE4.info members to low cost heath coaching with our interns. As of May 31, we are no longer able to use the Functional Medicine Coaching Center to provide this connection. If you have already been linked to one of our interns, your sessions should not be interrupted.

Our volunteer support team is looking at other options to continue connecting health coaches with our members who want to work with them. Please stay tuned!
Slacker
E4/E4
Donna
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Donna »

Hello everyone,
I have been out of the loop for a while.
Are the Health Coaches/Interns physicians?
I need someone to help me interpret labs once I have them done. I also feel like I’m not getting enough protein in. I’m pretty much all plant based. Appreciate any input.
Thanks so much to all.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Donna wrote:Hello everyone, I have been out of the loop for a while. Are the Health Coaches/Interns physicians?
I need someone to help me interpret labs once I have them done. I also feel like I’m not getting enough protein in. I’m pretty much all plant based. Appreciate any input. Thanks so much to all.
[From Dec. 2017 post]
Donna wrote:I’m not really vegan. I have a white fish once a week. My diet consists of broccoli, kale, collards, green peppers and squash. I basically eat blueberries with macadamia nuts and flaxseed meal late morning, salad for lunch with raw cashews and olive oil and the same for dinner. I have 6-8 glasses of water a day and 3-4 cups of Matcha, with a tsp of Amla in the morning tea. I don’t eat bread, flour or sugar of any kind. Also, gave up alcohol completely. How much choline might I take? I have lost 10 lbs in past 6 weeks since learning test results. I weigh 114, 5 5”.
Welcome back, Donna!
I saw that you joined the forum last December, so went back and thought it might be helpful to people with more knowledge than me to include a post from back then for context.
I can offer a little information about your questions. Our Health Coach Interns are not medical interns as you think of them in hospital residency programs. Some do come from other health care fields; all are passionate about supporting people as they try to live healthier lives. Right now the professional coaching requirements for all functional medicine interns are in transition, not just for this forum. So we can't offer personalized coaching right now. We do have lots of people with experience who may offer suggestions on diet choices.

As far as interpreting your labs, my own recommendation would be to take them to your primary care provider. That person knows you, I hope, and can interpret numbers on a page as part of the whole picture of who you are and what you may want or need to focus on. As a 4/4, I was able to have my doctor agree not to put my status in his records, and his willingness to spend time with me discussing options for numbers that concerned me left me reassured that he had my best interests at heart.

Back in December your posted (quoted above) that you lost 10 lbs in 6 weeks since learning your ApoE 4 result. Since you weighed 114 lbs, then at 5'5", that would give you a BMI of 19. Still within the normal range, but probably not good if your weight continued to drop a lot in the last six months. I was curious about Dr. John Day, and confess I hadn't heard of his Longevity Plan. Reading some of his website posts about a "Real Food First Diet" and his emphasis on sleep and exercise and stress reduction, and his optimism as a cardiologist in helping people live long, healthy lives, I can see why you like his approach. I noticed that he writes about a wider range of food choices that his family uses: fruits, rainbow vegetables, lentils and nuts, use of sauces such as curries and dressings, salmon, tuna, and nut butters for protein. I wonder if it would help you to track your macronutrients to get the Cronometer app on your phone or computer? The basic app is free, and will tell you if you're reaching the levels of protein and other nutrients you want to be at. Maybe his book or recipe suggestions would give you ideas. We also have recipes on the Wiki.

Stavia's Primer is a good source of advice on macronutrient ratios Eating a healthy diet with heaps of micronutrients.[url] and the Wiki also has information on diet. Here's one link: [url]https://wiki.apoe4.info/wiki/Optimize_diet

Feel free to tell us more about how you are doing. As a fellow 60-something, it helps to know you're not alone in wanting answers.
4/4 and still an optimist!
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Dear members;

We have a new protocol in place for connecting with health coaches. Please go to this new thread to learn more and for further conversation. This thread will be closed for further posts.
Slacker
E4/E4