AWAKENING FROM ALZHEIMER'S - THE AWAKENING BEGINS.

Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: AWAKENING FROM ALZHEIMER'S - THE AWAKENING BEGINS.

Post by Stavia »

so... what did I learn from this series

Caveat Emptor
If you say something with authority, people will believe you
Should I get botox to increase my credibility?
Paradoxical effect of melatonin in sundowning very useful information for me as a doctor but probably less useful to members
Banana tea sounds like bullshit
Mary Newport going to the patent and working it our from first principles was fun - exactly what I did with Valter Longo's Prolon (thank you Tincup for the patent link)
Having a big expensive machine causes tunnel vision
Dom is very cool in a totally nerdy cool way
The cute seahorse is a better spirit animal for our group than my pygmy hippopotamus
Appeal to nature sells supplements
David Katz is still relevant in a big picture, public health sense
Dale should have just done the whole series
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Stavia wrote:so... what did I learn from this series

Should I get botox to increase my credibility?
depends on which audience you want to be credible with :D
Slacker
E4/E4
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

whoops it wasn't over yet. Its an hour...sigh...
Day whatever
David Perlmutter

Inflammation begins in the gut. Book Brain Maker. Gut mediates inflammation in the body, happens when the lining becomes more permeable aka leaky. It is the job of the microbes to maintain the integrity of the gut lining. Affects heart, brain, joints, skin, immunity. We need to stop being cerebro-centric which is myopic. Lipopolysaccharide belongs ion the gut and shouldn't be in the blood. It is a powerful augmenter of inflammation and leaky gut. This correlates with AD, autism and Lou Gerig's disease.

Blood sugar is directly and profoundly related to development of AD. He feels 50% could be prevented by lowering blood sugars - ie reducing carbs and welcome fat back to the table.

Keeping the gut optimal. Mainstream dietary recommendations are wrong. Embrace saturated fat. Artificial sweetners profoundly detrimental to gut bacteria. Kinchee. More fibre. Gut bacteria make serotonin and dopamine. They make butyrate. Same factors that help gut barrier helps BBB. Butyrate increases ability of BB to maintain and repair its integrity. Food can affect mood.

Changing seasons: we make body fat at different times of the year. 99% of our DNA is bacterial, they play a pivotal role in regulating metabolism. Summer time versus winter time bears - microbiomes completely different hibernation vs putting on fat eating berries.

12 hour to 16 hour fasting. Switch on brain preserving genes.

David only eats well into the afternoon. He exercises in the morning and has a coffee with a tablespoon of coconut oil. 1pm can salmon/anchovies/sardines plus greens. Fasts very easily. He does a reading (dunno what of) every morning with his wife. He does it to be one with the feeling of gratitude. He believes there is a physiology that is activated when we express gratitude. He also likes music and it releases stress for him. As he is getting older he is more conscious about the need to alleviate stress. Cortisol is very toxic to the hippocampus. But it also changes the gut microbiome.

Aerobic exercise critical. Significant risk reduction. 20 mins 6 to 7 days a week.

Apoe4 - he says yeah there are risk factors. That doesn't say you're going to get it or not going to get it (if you are 3/3). There are lots of risk factors regardless of the gene. The flip side is even more empowering. You may have the gene and not get AD. That might even include him. (I don't think he has tested. He says his dad had AD so he feels he is at higher risk). It is not a determinant it is only a risk factor. We can dramatically reduce our risk.

Supplements:
Vit D
CoQ10
Alpha lipoic acid
Vit E
Omega3 DHA

He references Dale Bredesen.
He says that heart healthy strategies are the same as brain healthy strategies.
He says that everyone is at risk and everyone should live as if they are at risk. It is for the most part preventable. I agree

Very nice interview. Nothing really new for us but a very good overview.
Lulu
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lulu »

I have only posted a few times here, but with regards to this series, I found it interesting, but agree with Stavia that Bredesen could have done the whole show. However, that being said, I've been hoping to find a doctor that could help me navigate through this end of perimenopause, transitioning into menopause period in my life. (I'm almost 51 and periods are still fairly regular, but experiencing some telltale signs of the change to come) I am doing well right now, I take a ton of supplements and since changing my diet to low carb, lots of veggies, some fruits (to keep it all regular :-) and a side dish of meat (per Bredesen), I'm starting to finally lose some weight. But the hormonal transition is really doing a number on my sleep as of late, so when the interview with Dr Pam W. Smith aired, as I listened, I became excited because I thought she would make a great doctor for me right now. As it turns out, her office is only 20 minutes away from where I live (YAY!!!) I've scheduled an appointment with her for Monday, Oct 16, and am very much looking forward to meeting with her, getting my lab work done and to see where I am standing with regards to inflammation levels, hormone levels, vit D levels, thyroid, et al. and then getting her prescribed treatment. I'm to bring in a list of all the supplements I am currently on as well as all past lab work. The only down side is that this is not cheap, about $ 900 for the consultation and follow up, which is not covered at all by insurance. But, I am willing to splurge on this, since I think the hormonal transition of menopause is critical for apoe4 women. My biggest hope for now, is to get a good nights sleep, I have no problem falling asleep, but wake in the middle of the night. Sometimes I can fall back to sleep quickly, sometimes I can't.

Feeling hopeful now though!

Lu

apoe 3/4
ZenGinner
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by ZenGinner »

Hey, thanks for letting us all know about this series. I really enjoyed a few of them. :)

First:
Stavia, you are a saint! Thanks so much for outlining these for us. Most of the time, I listed to them while out walking or cooking. So, I couldn't take notes. (And, then there were the ones I just found impossible to finish. :0

Second: For anyone who missed one (or more) and WANTS to watch them, they are apparently playing them over in the US, starting at 2pm - today. Below is an excerpt that I received in an email.

Have regrets about that episode you missed during Awakening from Alzheimer’s?
Worry no longer.
You can relive Awakening from Alzheimer’s over this upcoming weekend!
It’s the perfect opportunity to catch those episodes you missed and discover …
During this special replay event, you’ll have the opportunity to watch any of the episodes you missed or rewatch those you want to see again.
Stay tuned for the link to access the replay event coming to your inbox tomorrow at 2PM ET!
Celebrate the hope!

Lee Euler

Here is the link they sent, today.

http://links.cancerdefeated.com/a/746/c ... 725d17e024
KK
52, ε4/ε4
Vegan
raj
Contributor
Contributor

Post by raj »

Good morning,

I just realized that all the episodes have been uploaded to youtube.

wish you all a nice day
Bettylacy
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Bettylacy »

I watched part of this series last year and recommended it to an number of people, and felt like it was a wash...a marketing wash. Very little evidence based science and the emails you will receive after the series are so annoying and geared to purchasing products without information other than anecdotal reports of improvement. It was disappointing. I bought the whole series and will donate to anyone who wants it. It was useless and way too much unnecessary unscientific information. i wrote a letter to the Lee Euler objecting to marketing tactics used that play on people who are searching for a help and in need of direction, yet provides them just the opposite : empty hope.
APOe 3/4; If you want to go fast go alone. If you want to go far go together. African proverb. :D
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Bettylacy wrote: Very little evidence based science and the emails you will receive after the series are so annoying and geared to purchasing products without information other than anecdotal reports of improvement.
I unsubscribed yesterday after being bombarded with those ridiculous emails and their smarmy come-ons.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

I just unsubscribed a few days ago as well.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
ihope
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: AWAKENING FROM ALZHEIMER'S - THE AWAKENING BEGINS.

Post by ihope »

Stavia wrote:
slacker wrote:
Stavia wrote: Magnesium
He likes magnesium. Bananas. Peel of magnesium 3x magnesium than fruit. Boil sliced banana with skin. Use water as tea with cinnamon or honey. (ugh)
did you try it? ;) What to do with the fruit after boiling? Compost??

PS Thanks for the fantastic summaries; so very helpful...
cut the ends off. slice it in pieces with skin on. boil it few minutes. ? discard I guess?
dunno if the water has been actually tested for magnesium content. doesn't sound very scientific to me. ?woo?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Stavia
I found this summary thanks to floramaria.... I listened to these interviews but my notes are sparse. thank you for the time you took to take notes and your comments / impressions on these sessions. Both are valuable.

Karen