AWAKENING FROM ALZHEIMER'S - THE AWAKENING BEGINS.

Jafa
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: AWAKENING FROM ALZHEIMER'S - THE AWAKENING BEGINS.

Post by Jafa »

Thanks again Stavia for critiquing the series. Sounds excruciating.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Jafa wrote:Thanks again Stavia for critiquing the series. Sounds excruciating.
I seriously took one for the team. I was literally squirming.
Sent Sheryl out to buy me chocolate and treating myself now because I deserve it ;)

look at today's email from the summit organisers
Now, onto today’s episode. Have you had a chance to watch it yet?
If not, it’s LIVE, and Dr. Faber is sharing some pretty significant information on how your cholesterol medicine may be inducing memory loss.
Watch Episode 7 Now
Watch Dr. Faber explain the connection between cholesterol medication and memory loss. You don’t want to miss it!
and the significant information is....drum roll.... the brain is made up of cholesterol!! gasp!! He briefly and totally inaccurately mentions that high cholesterol blocks blood flow to the brain and its treated with a statin (presumably to increase the blood flow lolol) but the brain is made up of cholesterol so he'd rather the patients go to a functional doctor to get red rice yeast. Which he clearly has no idea that it contains lovastatin. I had to restrain myself from banging my head against the desk. In my defence it was 6am.
It was an embarrassment.
Ganesha
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Ganesha »

You so deserve that chocolate, Stavia!

Thank you very much for your dedication in watching and summarizing the video's. I couldn't stick with today's because of the hyperfocus on SPECT scanning. Two friends of mine with different symptoms spent lots of money had their's done via the Amen Clinic and come back with only slightly altered treatment plans with a ton of boilerplate. Completely turned me off, (along with the fact that no Doc I've seen has thought it valuable).

I found yesterday's more tolerable for the story of how she found the patent for the MCT/Coconut Oil and considered it valid given her experience of MCT oil's use in Neonatology, and I'm also a sucker for a comeback story. Afterwards, though, I felt let down. I know MCT/Coconut Oil has not worked as a silver bullet for me, (though I do take it). Somehow I then ended up watching a bunch of Dr. Gundry videos, which don't support the Coconut Bullet, but promote EVOO as at least an arrow in one's quiver. Hmmm.

I appreciate Dr. Bredesen for explaining that it is at least 36 holes we're trying to patch.

Hope you can continue to wade through the videos, Stavia - your work is appreciated!
Jafa
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jafa »

Haha, Sheryl knows where the good choc is xx
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Jafa wrote:Haha, Sheryl knows where the good choc is xx
Sheryl and Bernadine (my reception team) have to hide it from me and only give me a square if I ask nicely.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Ganesha wrote:You so deserve that chocolate, Stavia!

Thank you very much for your dedication in watching and summarizing the video's. I couldn't stick with today's because of the hyperfocus on SPECT scanning. Two friends of mine with different symptoms spent lots of money had their's done via the Amen Clinic and come back with only slightly altered treatment plans with a ton of boilerplate. Completely turned me off, (along with the fact that no Doc I've seen has thought it valuable).

I found yesterday's more tolerable for the story of how she found the patent for the MCT/Coconut Oil and considered it valid given her experience of MCT oil's use in Neonatology, and I'm also a sucker for a comeback story. Afterwards, though, I felt let down. I know MCT/Coconut Oil has not worked as a silver bullet for me, (though I do take it). Somehow I then ended up watching a bunch of Dr. Gundry videos, which don't support the Coconut Bullet, but promote EVOO as at least an arrow in one's quiver. Hmmm.

I appreciate Dr. Bredesen for explaining that it is at least 36 holes we're trying to patch.

Hope you can continue to wade through the videos, Stavia - your work is appreciated!
Very welcome Ganesha. I love your name. My favourite Hindu god.
The common thread so far is the narrow vision of each speaker. So interesting to see how bias blinds each speaker to the whole picture.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Stavia wrote:Sheryl and Bernadine (my reception team) have to hide it from me and only give me a square if I ask nicely.
Haha!
Stavia wrote:Very welcome Ganesha. I love your name. My favourite Hindu god.
Me too! ... in fact could use a little of his removing of obstacles these days :D
Stavia wrote: The common thread so far is the narrow vision of each speaker. So interesting to see how bias blinds each speaker to the whole picture.
This is so true, but unsurprising. The bottom of the AFA website says: 'Copyright © 2017 Online Publishing & Marketing, LLC.' Therein lies the problem that runs rampant everywhere ... I think we just need, as a group, to have enough finesse that if there are potential gems in the material we don't miss them because our filters are too thick. That doesn't mean you personally have to look for those rough gems though. Someone's got to call a spade a spade ;)
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: AWAKENING FROM ALZHEIMER'S - THE AWAKENING BEGINS.

Post by Stavia »

hill dweller wrote:SPECT scans aren't much loved:
Daniel Amen loves SPECT scans (Single Photon Emission Computed Tomography). And well he should. They have brought him fame and fortune. They have rewarded him with a chain of Amen Clinics, a presence on PBS, lucrative speaking engagements, a $4.8 million mansion overlooking the Pacific Ocean, and a line of products including books, videos and diet supplements (“nutraceuticals”). He grossed $20 million last year. Amen is a psychiatrist who charges patients $3,500 to take pretty colored SPECT pictures of their brains as an aid to the diagnosis and treatment of conditions including brain trauma, attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), addictions, anxiety, depression, dementia, and obesity. He even does SPECT scans as a part of marriage counseling and for general brain health checkups.

SPECT imaging uses an injected radioisotope to measure blood flow in different areas of the brain. Amen is exposing patients to radiation and charging them big bucks because his personal experience has convinced him SPECT is useful. So far, he has failed to convince the rest of the scientific medical community.
https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/dr-ame ... ect-scans/
ooooo I missed this post. I want to be bitchy but I remember chunkygate too well.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
chrissyr
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by chrissyr »

I predict that Stavia will be much happier today needing only the darkest of chocolates to cope! Or maybe just a slug of e v o o!
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

chrissyr wrote:I predict that Stavia will be much happier today needing only the darkest of chocolates to cope! Or maybe just a slug of e v o o!

yay. Finally some solid science. What a relief.
I didn't learn anything new excpet the Ellen Davis website but its a nice presentation.

Day 7
Dominic D'Agostino and Angela Poff

Ketogenic diet and neurodegenerative disease

Dom compares the brain to a hybrid engine. Very high metabolic demand - 20 to 25% of energy. Historically we thought it was exclusively fueled by glucose- but in the 60s it was shown the brain can adapt to using ketone bodies. As an example during fasting we convert over a week to using ketone bodies for fuel - up to 60 or 70% of energy can be derived from ketone bodies.

What happens during neurodegenerative diseases and brain metabolism? As we age, our brains ability to use glucose for fuel declines. The amyloid and tau may impair glucose energy metabolism or it may be conversely that these plaques accumulate in the presence of glucose metabolism defects. There is an age related decrease in the brain's ability to use glucose as an energy substrate. In a glucose PET scan, FDG PET scan this is clearly shown. But , as we age, it appears that our ability to use ketones does not deteriorate (work of Steve Cunnane) . They transport rapidly across the BBB and the processes whereby they are metabolised do not deteriorate with age. They appear to be a preferred fuel for the aging brain.
The youthful brain will utilise ketones if they are present, but the youthful brain can metabolise glucose well. So it is an age-related issue.

Exogenous ketones can be used in those who are unable to follow the ketogenic diet. Dom feels that the best version is a combination of a modified ketogenic diet plus supplementation.

Then a discussion on how to convice your family doctor to support you in this. Explain that it is a normal process to survice fasting in times of famine. If we didn't have this mechanism, we would cannibalise our muscles to turn amino acids into glucose and waste away and die within 2 weeks. Ask then to pubmed "ketogenic diet" and "brain". Charlie Foundation for ketogenic diet and epilepsy. Been around for 90 years in managing epilepsy. Last 10 years emerging application of ketogenic diets and other disorders. Supplying energy where brain metabolism is compromised. Harvard Study 1960, Oliver Owen and George Cahill, wrote the textbook on brain energy metabolism. It is a medical therapy and should be under the supervision of a trained dietician or nutritionist. It does really change one's physiology significantly. Dom says that supplements can ease the transition. Can be as simple as coconut oil, or MCT oil. Johns Hopkins uses the modified ketogenic diet plus MCT oils with meals.

He likes coconut oil. C8, C10 are the MCTs. Can be bought in a powder now, by Quest nutrition.
Dom has developed ketone esters - synthetic ketone bodies. - only a research tool and in the realm of the military at this stage. Used for hyperbaric conditions.
Also ketone salts are now available - Ketogenics, Evergreen, Improvit (? spelling). Combined with sodium, calcium, potassium, magnesium Names are Keto-OS, Ketopia, Ketogenics. They are all about the same in the lab. Elevate ketones higher than MCT oils.

Angela Poff's field is ketosis and cancer. Cancer cells are very glucose hungry. Very reliant on glucose for growth. They aren't very efficient at utilizing ketones for energy.
Also we are now realizing that ketones have anti-cancer effects.

First person to reach out to Dom 5 years ago had a glioblastoma too large for surgery. He implemented the diet and his tumour shrank to an extent that he could have surgery. He is now alive 5 years later. Then Dr Hatfield - metastatic prostate cancer to bone. He was very strict - fasting then keto. Still alive.

Very good option for many cancers - restricting its primary source of fuel for cancer energy and growth. Cancers do not have metabolic flexibility to shift to ketones. Makes it more vulnerable to chemo, radiation, immune therapy.

Neuro-degenerative diseases and ketogenic diet - first was Dr Mary Newport in 2009.
He feels ketones are not a cure but a way to manage symptoms. He feels 30% of people with AD will get clinically objective improvement on ketogenic diet.

Everyday practical advice:
1. Education - online - Ellen Davis website has comprehensive advice for all sorts of conditions
http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/
2. Decrease carbs under 100gm then under 50gm a day. Incorporating healthy fats. Coconut oil. MCT. Monounsaturated fats like avocado, olive oil, nuts. Even butter. As we age our carbohydrate tolerance decreases. We can delay this with exercise. As we age we should transition to a low carb diet for normal healthy aging and preventative reasons.
3. Sustainable fish, wild caught if possible. Omega 3's reduce systemic inflammation.
4. don't worry about the LDL elevation - the balance of evidence is saying that it is not a concern. Dom says that 60% fat, 20-30 protein doesn't elevate LDL as much as a very high fat diet (I must agree - my LDL hasn't risen from when I was low fat and I am about this level)
5. Some people with no gallbladder may struggle to adapt to a high fat diet, but many may manage fine on a modified ketogenic approach
6. Watch blood work - renal function, liver function, if triglycerides are elevated , one's body is not yet adapted
7. It takes a couple months to keto-adapt. There are acute benefits in the first couple weeks with rapid weight but the long term benefits are significant.
8. supplement potassium citrate to prevent kidney stones. Supplement magnesium citrate or magnesium glycate for cramps.

Angela studies hyperbaric oxygen and ketosis in cancer. Very sciency. I'm very tired today so I didn't concentrate. No evidence in AD yet but I'm sure it will be studied at some stage. Dom is considering research in this area. Adding oxygen to someone on a ketogenic diet.