Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Stavia's report on AHSNZ17 - Ancestral Health New Zealand Conference 2017

Post by Stavia »

Session 9

Dr Melyssa Roy

The SWIFT Study: Fasting, Paleo and Sprinting in the Real World

The SWIFT study was a one year study in which 250 overweight adults chose to try different nutrition and exercise approaches in an unsupervised environment. The aim of this study was to examine whether those people opting to try intermittent fasting, ‘Paleo’ or whole-foods diets, as well as high intensity interval training (HIIT) would benefit more than those who chose conventional diet and exercise guidelines. We present the ‘real-world’ outcomes from one year of this trial and discuss the most successful interventions in terms of health benefits and long-term adherence. We also present some preliminary observations indicating who may benefit the most from these interventions. The SWIFT study is the first trial in the world to examine over the longer term if this way of eating and exercising does actually work in the real world, and if so, who is most likely to benefit.

I am not allowed to share any of this data because it is not yet peer reviewed and published yet.
Sandy57
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Sandy57 »

Oh my goodness, can't express how grateful and jealous I am at the same time. Exercise science and nutrition is my field. So much good stuff already and New Zealand is insanely beautiful. My mentor was your rowing team doctor for the Olympics years ago. Keep up the good work and soak up all the exercise knowledge. Great stuff.

Frank
Sandy57
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Sandy57 »

Darryl on fire. So much truth. Great quote Stavia, "guys: just do it! lets look beyond high fat low fat sat fat and make sure our other critical interventions are in place". So so important. Illness is not cured by one offs, including diets.
Frank
WhatNext
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by WhatNext »

Thank you so much Stavia for posting this! I would have loved to have seen some of these presentations, not to mention New Zealand! It's on my bucket list.

I feel reaffirmed in my determination to be fit and lift weights: I'm not doing enough! I'm hitting the minimum recommended for adults 65+ by Darryl Edwards, although that was for cancer. My motivation was first my bones and now both my bones and my brain.

I'm a "healthy deviant" at work. I'm sure more than half of the women where I work are overweight and a good number are obese. I'm an oddball just for taking the stairs instead of the elevator; only a couple of the people at work know I lift weights. Unfortunately the idea of "skinny bitch" has taken a firm hold in our culture: if I'm fit I must be vain and I must look down on anyone who isn't "obsessed with their weight". I try to counteract this impression by accepting any treat anyone brings to the office to share: donuts, cake, ice cream bars, whatever. I think of it as "social eating", the same exact thing as "social drinking" by people who don't like alcohol but will have a beer if everyone else is drinking.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: Stavia's report on AHSNZ17 - Ancestral Health New Zealand Conference 2017

Post by Stavia »

WhatNext wrote:Thank you so much Stavia for posting this! I would have loved to have seen some of these presentations, not to mention New Zealand! It's on my bucket list.

I feel reaffirmed in my determination to be fit and lift weights: I'm not doing enough! I'm hitting the minimum recommended for adults 65+ by Darryl Edwards, although that was for cancer. My motivation was first my bones and now both my bones and my brain.

I'm a "healthy deviant" at work. I'm sure more than half of the women where I work are overweight and a good number are obese. I'm an oddball just for taking the stairs instead of the elevator; only a couple of the people at work know I lift weights. Unfortunately the idea of "skinny bitch" has taken a firm hold in our culture: if I'm fit I must be vain and I must look down on anyone who isn't "obsessed with their weight". I try to counteract this impression by accepting any treat anyone brings to the office to share: donuts, cake, ice cream bars, whatever. I think of it as "social eating", the same exact thing as "social drinking" by people who don't like alcohol but will have a beer if everyone else is drinking.
Whatnext, good on you for being a deviant!!

Darryl's recommendations are for all of us... not just cancer prevention/treatment.
Ugh I'm seriously failing.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Thanks you again for summarizing this conference so we can all learn so much. The quote about 'training your doctor" applies to my situation, where four years ago, I came with Dr. Bredesen's list of labs and supplements to have him express disbelief to now giving a class reviewing Dr. Bredesen's latest book.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Katie, this is how we will change society. Grass roots activism. Empower ourselves with the knowledge and challenge out of date beliefs.
That's the reason I summarise and review conferences, presentations, books, other information.
My next (mammoth) task will be to review Bredesen and Gundry's books.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Day 3

Session 1

Insulin Resistance: the Elephant in the Room of Chronic Disease

Steven Hamley

Insulin resistance is an underappreciated contributing factor in many of what are referred to as the diseases of civilisation. Insulin resistance and metabolic diseases are a common and major issue in modern industrialised societies, but were extremely rare a few generations ago and remain near absent in modern hunter-gatherers and traditional cultures. However, insulin resistance is rarely tested for in conventional clinical practice. Instead, fasting glucose is used as a surrogate, but this approach yields many false negatives. In this presentation, Steven will discuss methods to measure insulin resistance or predict those who are likely to have it, and strategies to reduce the risk of becoming insulin resistant and to improve insulin sensitivity.

PhD candidate. Studying insulin signalling.
stevenhamley.au

two pathways insulin signalling
Ras pathway involved in cell growth is independent of its effect on glucose metabolism

IR doesnt affect this pathway - it will increase with raised serum insulin
and
IR doesnt decrease the renal sodium and uric acid retention - it increases with raised serum insulin

I'm not saying this properly - when insulin rises, the glucose pathways are reduced when insulin resistance occurs, but the effects on the Ras cell growth pathways and renal sodium and uric acid retention ARE NOT REDUCED and increase with increasing insulin levels!!!

coronary heart disease:

fasting glucose just isnt good enough.

Krafts work
please note that in his day insulin assays were not as sensitive so 8 in his day is probably equivalent to 5 now. And pattern 2 is probably upper end of normal.
Also Steven's work shows a smaller area under the curve as we now use 75gm. Steven has found in a healthy person the amount of glucose load doesn't affect the peak!

His work shows fasting glucose is near useless in predicting insulin response

yes!! I really believe this!! Great to have a scientist echo my thoughts. obviously within reason, if the glucose is 15mmol there's a problem. But within a range absolutely

In his study fasting trigs are the best predictor of IR.

Inflammation:

BMI

what is the body's purpose in producing IR? High energy state inhibits glucose metabolism. Hypothesis: defence mechanism

What can we do?
exercise
sleep
gut
reduce fructose

diet: insulin sensitivity improves within a week of this: calorie reduction seems to be hugely important

Q: resistant starch. increases glp1 and prebiotic. doesn't think it happens with sweet potatoes
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Session 2

The Kitava Study - A Tribute to Staffan Lindeberg

Pedro Carerra Bastos

In 1989, Dr. Staffan Lindeberg, a Swedish physician, conducted an extensive field study in the island of Kitava in Papua New Guinea, whose residents still followed their traditional lifestyle. Among his various observations, the most striking were: 1 - the superiority of various biomarkers when compared to a sex and age-matched Swedish control population, despite an exceptionally high carbohydrate and saturated fat diet; 2 - the near absence of common western diseases, such as diabetes and cardiovascular disease, although there was a significant proportion of elderly. During this lecture, the published and unpublished results of that study will be presented and discussed and a tribute to Prof. Lindeberg, who recently passed away, will be made.

I need to get this book.

THE KITAVAN STUDY

We all know this study. Beautiful work.

Physically active : around construction worker today

Foods: little fish, tubers, coconut

most population smoked!!
76 to 80%

no obesity or overweight.
no malnutrition or famine

blood tests:

lauric acid most of sat fatty acids in diet

palmitic acid not present in diet but high in blood
increased de novo lipogenesis from the high carbohydrate diet

bloods not optimal according to current medical guidelines

high omega3 omega 6 ratio despite not very high omega3 in diet. Suggesting that a high omega3 intake may not be necessary in the presence of low omega6 in diet

PALEOLITHIC LIFESTYLE
common characteristics of ancestral diets and lifestyles

no processed foods
no sugar
no alcohol
no vegetable oils
no processed meats
no refined cereals
no milk
breast feeding until 30 months

regular physical activity

natural circadian rhythms - response to variation light and temperature

sunlight exposure D3 regulates expression of many genes. sunlight has other effects on the skin as well as D3

acute stress

microbial exposure from the natural environment

low exposure to pollutants

MAJOR CHANGES since Paleolithic

effect of one sausage mcmuffin and 2 hash browns: increase inflammation and oxidative stress within 3 hrs.Image

effect of 2 weeks physical inactivity:Image

Vit D deficiency

chronic stress - autoimmune, cvd

lack of social networks - cvd

circadian rhythm disruption

increased xenobiotic exposure

decreased exposure to the elements and the envoronment leads to changes in the microbiota in gut and skin

SOLUTIONS

diet. real food

need to focus on all aspects and go for the big ticket items

question: milk.
answer: milk in masai and other pastoral cultures is ok in context of their lifestyle. might not be ok in terms of western lifestyle. be careful transferring traditional diets to our western experience.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Session 3

The Limits of Mindfulness: On the Ancestral Antecedents of the Death Drive and the Pursuit of ‘Mind'

Dr Andrew Dickson

One of the most recent entries into the armory of the weight loss industry is the Buddhist notion of ‘mindfulness’. The pursuit of conscious ‘mind’ over body is characteristic of the deployment of mindful eating in the weight loss industry and seems to produce results. But are these results what they seem at face value? I will argue that mindful eating strategies fail to understand a critical aspect of self, that is the uncanny and peculiarly pleasurable drive towards the annihilation of the self named the ‘death drive’ by Freud in 1920. I will argue that it is this intriguing aspect of the human psyche that most of those working in the wider ‘health’ industry spend much of their time fighting against. But what if we were to forge an alliance with the death drive instead of resisting it? Where would that leave mindfulness?

Sociologist.
First degree in biochemistry.
Recovering scientist. lol.

Lifestyle? what does this mean?
What is a styled life?

Neoliberalism. Broad ideology relying on the market to get things right in terms of capital growth. Poor master and good servant? Can this be fettered by good regulation to avoid wreckage capitalism?

The overarching state driven health policy in NZ is that of the individual. It ignores society. Our field of experience is primarily that of the individual. This way of thinking benefits neoliberalism. Personal accountability and turns individuals into consumers. Also the model in the US.

Sociological discussion:
definitions:
bio=life
politics=personal view on how we should interact. establishes common views across society in response to an urgent need

Example:
in response to the threat of obesity, there are responses.
urgent needs change with time and history eg smallpox, refugees, masturbation in victorian era
Society polices with various measures eg education, tapemeasues, apps, fitbit

Then each individual becomes accountable if they are deemed an unhealthy health unit.

Tyrannical choices: choice seems to go hand in hand with freedom. He argues the opposite. Choice isn't freedom. eg supplements. What should one do? What kind, what dose, what brands? Scientific literature is impossible to understand. Rabbit holes. Genetic testing promises to promise certainty.

Each person believes their truth is the ultimate. We are doomed to fail as there is no certainty Image

Fortification of food or fluoride in water? Tension between the individual and the common good. Individualism produces a variety of choices. Capitalism is extremely good at exploiting these.

There are hundreds of fat loss books. How are fat ppl supposed to cope? They're not
They're supposed to buy all the books...

MINDFULNESS

now found everywhere!!

endless photos of young thin white women on beaches!Image

Cursory examination of the literature shows a myriad of studies on its efficacy. Review 2011: positively associated with psychological health. It appears impossible to argue with this conclusion. But a sociologist looks deeper. Andrew argues that it may be the product of false consciousness and manipulation. Look for instance at the concept of eating "forbidden" foods in small quantities mindfully. As an individual responsible for his own choices in a neoliberal and capitalist world, mindfullness as a target is complicit because it reduces individuals to a position of failure.

Destruction as the cause of coming into being. Reproductive drive. Sabina Spielrein. Worked with Freud.
Violences that encapsulate reproduction. Pleasure principle cycling with the death drive. Instinct towards self annihilation and a position of calm. Not being is where the concept of self doesnt exist. This is the essence of the human condition. Jouissance.

um. I'm confused. But sorta understand

Freedom makes people untethered. The desire towards mindfullness is the removal of self. Appealing in our hyperreal world.

Public health system focused in individuals.
Constructs a set of conditions of heath that are personal responsibilities
It becomes abour choices
These choices dont release ppl from decisions
Binds ppl to conditions in as world of uncertainty and makes them responsible for their outcomes
Mindfullness is an artefact that locates a solution that reins in the death drive but fails for many

Solution: Structures that we live in should be mindful for us.

phew. I think I understand. The illusion of choice may make us feel we have failed and makes us victims of neoliberalism and capitalism

extra:
science used to be god. like the superego. the professor used to be the ultimate authority. now its evidence based medicine. a huge amount of studies that make us feel we just actually mostly dont know.