Gathering Recipes—I need your help!

Magda
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Gathering Recipes—I need your help!

Post by Magda »

I can just pipe in a little here if that's okay! Nutritional yeast is flaky, it is a "deactivated" form of a certain yeast. It has a ton of B-vitamins in it, and many folks used it to make "cheeses", sauces, or they'll sprinkle it right on salads and popcorn. Bettylacy will surely have some more info, too!
PS = Bragg's is a pretty popular brand, too. =)
KellyS, I am curious about nutritional yeast. I know what it is. I have seen it in a few delicious looking recipes added in a place of cheese. I am wondering, if it really gives you that parmesan like flavor?
Have you tested it?
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach & MS Clinical Nutrition Student
IFM/Bredesen Trained, Reversing Cognitive Decline
KellyS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by KellyS »

I did try it once years and years ago, and it was really blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand. I should try it again though before I completely nix the idea! I probably just needed to add something else to it.
I have used it as a sprinkle on my salads, and on steamed vegetables and what not - it gives it a unique, almost nutty flavor. If you find a good recipe for the "cheese," will you share?
Holistic Healthcare Practitioner
Functional Medicine Health Coach - Candidate
apoe4.info intern
drae
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by drae »

Bettylacy wrote:ROASTED BRUSSEL SPROUTS

2-3 lbs Brussel Sprouts
Olive oil- {would change this to Avocado Oil because of smoke point and oxidation issue)
Optional: (after baked) lemon, salt, Nutritional Yeast

Preheat oven 375 degrees

Directions:

Shave the Brussels (I use the attachment on the food processor). Lay flat on sheet pan in one layer and drizzle with olive oil. Bake at 375-400 until golden and start to crisp (maybe 30-45 min? Keep an eye on them though). They brown quickly. When you remove them from the oven, sprinkle lemon on them and salt them! Salting after they get out is key!! + Or add Nutritional yeast> YUMMY
Okay, Bettylacy. Thanks for the recipe. Now I need help. =) How do you shave the Brussels??? Even with a food processor? Are we trying to get little slivers of BS or take their jackets off? Is this a recipe like kale chips where we need Brussel leaves? You can see my mind is running amok.

Thanks again,
Drae
Drae -- floundering forward, everlasting beginner.
Poco a poco. it don't work if you don't do it.
JulieG: Sticking with it slowly.
G.K. Chesterton: Practice makes progress.
A thing worth doing well is worth doing badly at first.
Bettylacy
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Bettylacy »

Hi Drake,
Yep use the food processor with shaving attachment. I don’t take off the jackets unless they have yellowed. I also cut the ends off. You will need to cut them to fit in the feed tube of the processor. Not at all like kale chips. More like coleslaw size. ENJOY!
APOe 3/4; If you want to go fast go alone. If you want to go far go together. African proverb. :D
Lulu
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lulu »

Healthy Tuna Salad

1 can tuna (I use Safe Catch, lowest mercury tuna on the market)
1 avocado, remove skin and pit, chopped
2 tblsp extra virgin olive oil
juice from 1/2 lemon
2 tblsp chopped onion
2 tblsp chopped celery (optional)
2 tblsp chopped cilantro
bit of salt and pepper to taste, if desired

Mix all together and enjoy! I love filling celery stalks with this salad, or making lettuce wraps.
julialoha
New User
New User

Post by julialoha »

Don't use the nutritional yeast if it is enriched with folic acid - a synthetic form of folate. Check out what Dr. Ben Lynch who just published Dirty Genes says about the danger of folic acid. Youtube Folic Acid vs Folate: What is the Difference?
Magda
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Magda »

julialoha wrote:Don't use the nutritional yeast if it is enriched with folic acid - a synthetic form of folate. Check out what Dr. Ben Lynch who just published Dirty Genes says about the danger of folic acid. Youtube Folic Acid vs Folate: What is the Difference?
Welcome to the forum Julialoha,

Thank you for the tip on folate. I agree that is very important to know, and understand the difference between folic acid and folate. I am a big fan of Dr. Ben Lynch's work, and have learned from him to always check for folic acid. Very important, especially if you carrie MTHFR SNP.
Here is our Wiki page on Methylation if you are interested:
https://wiki.apoe4.info/wiki/Methylation

I have never used nutritional yeast, but it looks that Bob's Red Mills uses folate :)
Actually, is pretty confusing, when I checked the "nutritional information" label, vit. B9 (folate) is listed, when I read the Ingredients: clearly, folic acid is listed... confusing! I am wondering what forms of Vitamins B they are using in their product.

Magda
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach & MS Clinical Nutrition Student
IFM/Bredesen Trained, Reversing Cognitive Decline
julialoha
New User
New User

Post by julialoha »

It is because people aren't aware that folate and folic acid are not the same thing so they use the terms interchangeably - same thing happens with beta carotene and vitamin A. I bought a nutritional yeast on Amazon without added folic acid - kind of pricey but at least it didn't screw up my methylation.
Karengo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Karengo »

Welcome to our community julialoha! We're glad you found the site.

Thank you for your comments. You raise an important point. Being homozygous for MTHFR (C677T) gene I had to find this out the hard way & switch to methylfolate variations. And to think when trying to get pregnant, I was taking regular pre-natal vits & for way too long!

You may want to read our primer Primer written by our physician member, Stavia. You can find it in the Welcome tab as well (in case link doesn't work!)

If you're looking for more information on a topic, you may find it in our Wiki, Wiki
also if you click on the three vertical dots in the upper right, you will find our search function to look for other posts and members.

Feel free to post in "Our Stories" if you would like to share a little more about yourself Our Stories

And please always feel free to ask questions!

Be well,
~Karengo
~Karengo
ApoE4 Support Team
FMCA certified Health Coach
"For whatever we lose like a you or a me, it's always ourselves we find in the sea"
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

This is more of a recipe book than recipe post, but I thought it would get good visibility here.

In the December 2017 provider ReCode Town Hall with Dr Bredesen and Dr Mary Kay Ross, a question came up on recipes and recipe books. If you have access to an Institute for Functional Medicine trained provider, they can share a Mytoplan diet, with recipes. Otherwise, recipe books by Dr Mark Hyman or Dr David Perlmutter are appropriate.

My personal caveat. Look at each recipe to determine its appropriateness for you as an individual. There may be less emphasis on low saturated fat than what Bredesen or Gundry recommend for ApoE4's. There may be more emphasis on meat (grass fed or free range of course!) or protein than what will work for you. Careful reading and analysis recommended. Brain still needs to be engaged!
Slacker
E4/E4