Teaching a class- need your input!

kc425
Contributor
Contributor

Teaching a class- need your input!

Postby kc425 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:18 pm

Hello everyone! I'm new here and very happy to have found you all. I'm a nutritionist and I teach cooking and wellness classes around specific topics. I was inspired after reading The End of Alzheimer's to put together a 3 part, introductory series for folks in my area. I have a passion for getting the awareness out there regarding ApoE gene status and what we can do at a younger age to protect our memories and optimize our health for years to come. I lost my paternal grandma to Alzheimer's and I see sharp decline in my father. I'm a 3/4 and so is my husband. We are still relatively young in our 30's and really want to dive in and make a difference in our futures. I want to share this with others as well.

My question to you all: having done facets of RECODE yourselves, what do you think the most approachable areas of focus should be for an INTRO 3 PART course (1.5 hours each) for people who probably have never been told that preventing cognitive decline is possible? Of course I will recommend everyone read the book. But in case some people don't read it, I want to highlight some effective lifestyle and dietary strategies that can at least contribute to synaptoblastic activity! I have my own ideas, but I want to hear yours! Thank you.
Nutritionist & cooking instructor in Maryland
32, female, ApoE 3/4 and married to one as well

slacker
Mod
Mod

Re: Teaching a class- need your input!

Postby slacker » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:49 pm

Welcome kc425!

Your class idea sounds fantastic! Not all of us follow the Bredesen protocol, but are all interested in reversing or preventing cognitive decline. You may want to read our Primer, written by an MD member for some advice on prioritization.

As you know from reading Dr Bredesen's book, this is not a one size fits all protocol. For example (oversimplification), if someone's main driver of cognitive loss is high homocysteine, focusing on insulin resistance (IR) will not be successful! Of course, in our culture, IR is a common trigger. Most people have multiple factors influencing cognition, and some blood testing can be useful to pinpoint areas of concern.

Keep up posted!
Slacker
E4/E4

circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby circular » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:51 pm

Of course you'll know that exercise is up there at the top, but I don't hear much about how chewing itself is linked to hippocampus size, so recipes that encourage chewing should be on the daily menu. If you think about the SAD, it's a pretty soft diet overall, whereas it can take me a fortnight to chew through my huge salads. Similarly, those baby carrots, packaged for sweetness and convenience, require a lot less chewing than a good, cut up huge organic carrot! Broccoli and cauliflower are pretty chewy (not to mention a good substitute for unhealthy but crunchy snacks), so brain-friendly dips for raw, chewy veggies would be high on my list. Is there such a thing as home-made gum? :lol:

Edit: Chewing Maintains Hippocampus-Dependent Cognitive Function
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.

Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Jan » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:14 pm

I would include something about the importance of stress reduction before and during meals. The fight or flight response shuts down everything except fighting (or getting away from) the saber tooth tiger. If someone is constantly in stress mode, eating the best meal on the planet (were we able to agree on what that was) probably wouldn't be sufficient. Nutrition also depends on what we absorb, and we don't absorb well if our mind and body are engaged elsewhere.
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.

Jaque
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Jaque » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:14 pm

Besides cooking you can also teach How to Eat Mindfully.
Some simple rules:
1. Focus on the eating as the main task (do not multitask, e.g. cell phones, TV, reading etc).
2. Focus on individual ingredients that you can identify (e.g. a pea, a green leaf, onion piece, etc.)
3. Contemplate where the food came from. Visualize the imaginary farm where the crop was grown (e.g. an Orange from an orchard in California, a potato from a farm in Idaho).
4. Engage your senses by noticing colors, smells, textures, tastes and sounds. Sound examples, slurping, crunching, chewing etc.
5. Eat slowly.
6. In your heart feel the gratitude towards the cook who cooked it, or the host who provided it.
7. And finally - Enjoy the food, savor every bite, keep a happy smile while eating.
Last edited by Jaque on Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Julie G
Mod
Mod

Postby Julie G » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:48 pm

So beautiful, Jaque!

I love the idea of a class. For only 3 sessions, I would suggest focusing on the basics:
-diet (including fasting!)
-exercise
-sleep optimization
-stress reduction

circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby circular » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:08 pm

Love the suggestions about decreasing stress and being mindful while eating. I need to do more of that! I'm guilty of frequently eating while being on the computer. :oops:
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.

Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Jan » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:08 pm

Circ, so am I --- and I made one of the posts!
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.

drae
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby drae » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:46 am

Julie G wrote:So beautiful, Jaque!

I love the idea of a class. For only 3 sessions, I would suggest focusing on the basics:
-diet (including fasting!)
-exercise
-sleep optimization
-stress reduction

Lovely idea. I just joined our senior center and see no evidence of anyone resisting AD, just how to succumb to it more gracefully.

My top 4 would be the same as Julie G. I just started a month ago and already see slight improvements in cognition. What I think is making the most difference so far is the sleep improvements. What I have changed on sleep is: blue light filter glasses from sunset to bedtime; Sleep mask while sleeping; Mouth-taping while sleeping. I am astounded at how much difference these make and especially how many diseases are connected to mouth breathing. My sleep has changed profoundly so I know it has to improve my health and life. And these changes were quick, inexpensive and easy! I can tell a difference from the exercise (so far walking 30 minutes/6 days a week and just started a class in tai chi for arthritis, better balance and fall prevention).

Now most of these others have been here much longer and really know what they are talking about!

Drae
Drae -- floundering forward, everlasting beginner.
Poco a poco. it don't work if you don't do it.
JulieG: Sticking with it slowly.
G.K. Chesterton: Practice makes progress.
A thing worth doing well is worth doing badly at first.

buck3Maureen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby buck3Maureen » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:14 am

Wonderful idea regarding a class and great suggestions from everyone. If you, as a nutritionist, will be focusing on eating and food, I would suggest introducing the intermittent fasting. Stop eating 3 or 4 hours before bed and then don't eat in the AM until 12+ hours have gone by. I think, for some, this will be an easy habit to establish and won't overwhelm.

Good Luck,
Maureen

Return to “Announcements and Events”