Free in-person meetups for those of you in San Diego following Dr. Bredesen’s ReCODE protocol

jenfelix
Contributor
Contributor

Free in-person meetups for those of you in San Diego following Dr. Bredesen’s ReCODE protocol

Post by jenfelix »

I’m excited to share my free support group that meets in-person in San Diego. It’s a Meetup called “Brain Health Optimizers” at http://www.meetup.com/recode-support that I just started January 2018.

We recently had our first meetup which was a fun, informative, encouraging meeting of like minds. All members have read at least some of Dale Bredesen’s “The End of Alzheimer’s”. We’re supporting each other to implement the different aspects of the Bredesen ReCODE lifestyle protocol for preventing/reversing cognitive decline, one step at a time. Our meetings last an hour or more at local San Diego parks to talk, walk during the second half of the meeting, get time in nature, get some sunshine (usually since it’s SoCal), and create community. These in-person connections can supplement the wonderful online ApoE4 community support here.

I’m Jen, a functional medicine certified health coach and the Meetup organizer. Though there are alternative paths to optimizing brain health, the ReCODE protocol gives our group clarity and direction. If you happen to be in San Diego and are interested, I invite you to get the details at the link above and join us.

BTW: If anyone else has experience with a similar face-to-face support group, I'd greatly appreciate your advice to help me make this the best experience for all. Perhaps there's already a thread post on this very subject, but I didn't come across it by searching "support group".
Jen F
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Free in-person meetups for those of you in San Diego following Dr. Bredesen’s ReCODE protocol

Post by circular »

Hi jenfelix, this is fabulous, and funny. A while back I had proposed that the apoe4.info Google account My Maps feature be used to anonymously map members (who choose) so we can better find each other without revealing more personal information online. It could also show any regular local gathering locations etc. so that people could find them. I started working on it before Christmas, but then traveled and got burned out (my travel isn’t vacation) and sidetracked. Just the other day I remembered it, and then today noticed the Meetup app in Apple’s app store. I downloaded it so I could see if it might provide a better system, but hadn’t looked into it yet. I’ll look into it and chat again with my Board contacts about the options (I’m not personally on the Board). The My Maps member-finding notion was to facilitate in-person connections around the experience of being e4 generally so that’s broader than for those following Dr Bredesen’s program, but the map could still include information about groups focused on Dr Bredesen’s protocol too. Or, if Meetup already provides what we need maybe that’s a better approach. A good thing about the map is anyone could view it and get the information without needing an app (yet it wouldn’t preclude you or others using the Meetup app); the down side is that I think it would take more behind the scenes, centralized organization to facilitate connections.

Anyone feel free to post your thoughts on this here.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
jenfelix
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Free in-person meetups for those of you in San Diego following Dr. Bredesen’s ReCODE protocol

Post by jenfelix »

Hello Circular,

I'm a huge fan of your idea to give all of us the opportunity to locally connect with each other by opting into a 'My Maps' feature on this apoe4.info website. I haven't seen any map of users on Meetup.com and regret that I cannot help on the technical side. If there's a big technical hurdle though, then maybe that's too much to ask for here and may need to be pursued on an outside platform.

Personally, I'm pretty old-school. Meeting face-to-face and heart-to-heart helps me more profoundly than online interactions. Connecting in-person with people on a similar health mission gives a powerful boost to my spirit. I think these kind of get-togethers can be healing.

The map feature you propose offers potential for people to make life-long supportive relationships. Last night, I just watched Dr. Amen say that the health habits of the people you spend time with is a top predictor of longevity. I love your idea to help us find and spend time with each other. I hope it's reasonably feasible/doable.

So I'm virtually sending you a ton of positive energy toward making this idea a reality.
Jen F
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Thx jenfelix! Message received and will get back to work on it soon. It’s not too hard to set up but will have everything approved by the Board before unrolling..
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Jen, this is a wonderful initiative and I am hugely supportive of it.
Perhaps other groups will form in other areas!
Please let us know how your group is getting on.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
JML
Support Team
Support Team

Post by JML »

This is a great idea Jen. I was thinking about doing something similar locally. Keep us posted on how it is working out.
Julie
Daughter of 4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board-Certified Health & Wellness Coach
ReCODE 2.0 Certified Health Coach
jenfelix
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jenfelix »

Thanks for your encouragement Stavia and Julie. I will post a follow-up after we've had a few more meetings. :P
Jen F
Liko
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Liko »

Hi Jen, what a generous and great idea. I'll be looking forward to your updates on how it goes!
Kaliko
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Nice to see the interest in what Jen’s doing. As Stavia says maybe more will pop up. At my end with the map initiative to facilitate local meet ups of any sort, I’m sorry for this recent delay. I was going to do it this last weekend, but a health crisis has come up in my family.
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CarrieS »

I love this Jen. Thank you for sharing!
APOe4/4
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist