Dale Bredesen talk in Carlisle, PA (April 25)

Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Dale Bredesen talk in Carlisle, PA (April 25)

Post by Fiver »

Friends, here is an event you might be interested in. It is free and open to the public.

Reducing the Global Burden of Dementia: The First Alzheimer’s Survivors
Wednesday, April 25, 2018
Dickinson College, Carlisle PA
Anita Tuvin Schlechter Auditorium, 7 p.m.
Bredesen describes his treatment for Alzheimer’s and pre-Alzheimer’s, along with associated challenges and implications. A book sale and signing will follow the presentation.
More information: http://clarke.dickinson.edu/dale-bredesen/
I expect the crowd will be a mixture of students and community members.
Carlisle is about 2 hours from Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Washington D.C and 30 minutes from Harrisburg.
AKA
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Dale Bredesen talk in Carlisle, PA (April 25)

Post by AKA »

Thank you for this info, Tom. Will you be there? Maybe we can meet-up.
Andrea K
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

Just bumping this post as a reminder. The free public lecture is on Wednesday.

AKA - there is a book signing after the talk. I suspect that will go until 9:00 PM. I'll be there. To be honest, I haven't completely figured out how all my roles mesh on this one. Kinda complicated for me. I might stand off in a corner somewhere. Is there some secret apoe4.info handshake we should use to find one another? ;)
HeatherLst
Contributor
Contributor

Dr Bredesen presentation at Dickinson

Post by HeatherLst »

I may have missed it but I didn’t see this shared yet. He spoke tonight at Dickinson college about his research, including some small tidbits specifically for APOE4. His main focus was on educating students and staff on how to look at problems in a new way, specifically the problem of Alzheimer’s. I thought I’d share the link for anyone who wants to watch it. It’s an hour and a half. The intro is about 2 minutes in to the video.

https://youtu.be/0bZE83AZ8H4

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkImage
Last edited by HeatherLst on Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
APOE4/4
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Dr Bredesen presentation at Dickinson

Post by Stavia »

Thanks Heather. Anything new?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

Pretty good, wasn't it :) He is here for two days - yesterday and today. We are fortunate to have him in Carlisle.

We had a post on the "announcements and events" section here and I understand that there were a lot of online "live-streamers" in addition to the packed room on campus.

We really need a secret apoe4.info handshake or something.....
HeatherLst
Contributor
Contributor

Post by HeatherLst »

Stavia wrote:Thanks Heather. Anything new?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Stavia, I’m not sure. A lot of repeat for me but the slides were new information to me—but I’m still learning so it’s very likely it’s not new info. The mechanisms of APOE4 were good to see, since reading the book last fall. Nice to hear it described and have the visuals again—helps me understand it a bit better.

It really was good Tom! I need to get on to the actual ApOE4 website more. Tapatalk tends to show me the same posts over and over again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
APOE4/4
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

Hi HeatherLst. Sorry for the delay - catching up after the busy week.

Our two-day visit with Dale Bredesen came to a close yesterday. He was wonderful. He spoke with three classes, probably 250+ students, including young neuroscientists-in-training. Plus meetings with staff members. And after his lecture he stayed until after 9:30pm to talk with community members. He inspired a lot of people. And all this despite getting over a cold and losing his voice. Amazing energy. We're very grateful he was able to visit!

Here are some thing I learned, for what it is worth:

We talked about statins. The conversation built on his previous work, which indicated that statins could shift the balance from making to breaking neuronal connections. As for the acknowledged CVD benefits of statins he mentioned that statins would probably be unnecessary for most if they followed a healthy lifestyle program like reCODE. The approach to using statins also seems at odds with his "whole systems" approach - something I came to understand more fully this week. I think....and I hope I an summarizing this correctly.....his view is that we have a very complex system which we don't fully understand and before we throw in a drug like a statin, which is likely to have side effects, we ought to try rebuilding and reshaping the existing system, so it might work as it should. Even when we talked about apoe4 structure correctors, it seemed his view was that unless they really changed the expression of the 1000s of apoe4-senstive genes it would have limited usefulness. He felt that even apoe4-type systems - which he mentioned were a whole different animal compared to apoe3 - can work well. Those may be on a hair trigger for problems but....could be healthy if the trigger isn't activated. I got a new appreciation of this approach from his visit. Having said that, he did say several times that a drug could certainly be useful, as long as it was used on "the backbone" of a comprehensive health program.

About raising BDNF with green coffee fruit extract he seemed to be quite impressed with how high BNDF would spike after GCFE consumption....much more than after exercise....but wondered if that was really such a good thing in the long term.

There are more books coming.

This lecture on Wednesday had more advice for students, of course, and less about the protocol itself. And less about the types of AD. He definitely hit the mark for what the students wanted / needed, while at the same time talking to the rest of the audience.

He emphasized during the Q&A that the most important step is the one where you find a good doctor and get the tests to identify any problems specific to you.....he was working to stay within the allotted time, I think....

He is pretty clear about the risks of apoe4. But also mentioned that apoe4 patients seem to respond slightly better on the reCODE protocol. So there is that ray of light through the clouds.

I'm really proud of our little campus and our students who arranged the visit.

The lecture is online, see HeatherLst's post above.
Bluesky
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Bluesky »

Hello, everyone,
This is my first post, since I am a newcomer to this site. I am glad to know that it is here.
I'd like to ask if anyone knows of a physician in Central PA or Western PA who works with the Bredesen protocol.
I'd be grateful for any tips or suggestions.
Bluesky
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Bluesky »

HeatherLst wrote:I may have missed it but I didn’t see this shared yet. He spoke tonight at Dickinson college about his research, including some small tidbits specifically for APOE4. His main focus was on educating students and staff on how to look at problems in a new way, specifically the problem of Alzheimer’s. I thought I’d share the link for anyone who wants to watch it. It’s an hour and a half. The intro is about 2 minutes in to the video.

https://youtu.be/0bZE83AZ8H4

Hello, Heather.
I'm writing to ask if you know of neurologists in Central or Western PA who work with the Bredesen protocol. I would be grateful for any information you might have. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkImage