Farewell to Susan

floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Farewell to Susan

Post by floramaria »

Thank you, Susan, for the expertise you have shared and the guidance you have provided. Happy to know that even though you will no longer be a moderator and Board member , the community can still look forward to hearing your valuable perspective.
Thank you also for all of the work you have put into making methylation more intelligible. Haven't tackled methylation yet in my own life, though Promethease.com says that I have some of the problematic SNPS. Knowing that your WiKi is there as a resource is reassuring! Best wishes to you as you shift some of your focus to the other areas of your life.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

Susan, thank you for your advice recently and hope all goes well for you. Kind thoughts xx
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Susan, thank you for all of your massive contributions to ApoE4.Info and its members. I’m glad you’ll be hanging around as a “regular” member. Your posts are invaluable.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Gilgamesh wrote:I hope that whatever the occasion of the change be, it isn't anything traumatic or painful.
Like everyone else here, I have a lot of balls in the air. Sometimes it's good to step back and see how many I can realistically juggle, especially when some start hitting the floor!

Some folks here know that I took over as president of a local museum a couple of years ago, which has a set of challenges brought on by years of benign neglect. In my short tenure, I've managed to fix some building issues and overhaul most of the exhibits, which helps make fundraising more successful - pride of community - and is slowly growing our admissions. Now we need to increase our income (fundraising events and some grants), and also increase the low numbers of volunteers and members to stabilize this organization for the long haul. There is no pay in this for me, I'm just giving back to the community and, I just love creating exhibits.

My longer term challenges are more of an unknown, but I consider them life altering (not traumatic or painful). Like some of you here, we may soon be in a caregiver role. My husband’s sister has dementia. They have no children, nor the financial resources to provide for long-term care. Her husband’s health is failing, and we are busy making plans to become her caregivers if something happens to him. This change could happen next week, month or year, but when it happens, we will have to drop everything because she cannot live on her own in Florida.

This is such an awesome community - thanks all for your kind words - and I've made so many great friends here! After some thought, something had to give, and it's just a good time to step aside and get others on board here who can help get the next set of exciting projects off to a great start. (Thanks NF52 for taking on the moderator mantle!)

Non-profits survive and thrive when many hands pitch in where they can, so I hope everyone takes a moment to see how they might contribute, even if it seems in some small way. It makes a difference. I have one museum volunteer who just makes cookies every year for our annual Open House. Maybe you have that cookie-baking skill that can help Julie and the board continue this fabulous resource.

And just for fun, here is a photo of part of a recent railroad exhibit I just finished.
28516115_2126781250669396_4406060199338235169_o.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Searcher
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Searcher »

SusanJ wrote:Her husband’s health is failing, and we are busy making plans to become her caregivers if something happens to him. This change could happen next week, month or year, but when it happens, we will have to drop everything
Susan,

I suspected you're an angel.

Now I know for sure. Not to mention your awesome analyses.

So glad you'll still be around here.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Thank you, Searcher. Mi familia!
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lucy5 »

Susan,

I am so grateful for all you've done for this amazing community of ours. On a personal note, I'm also beyond grateful to you, our "methylation whisperer", for how you've helped me with my own issues (when I had no clue what methylation even was!), not to mention all the wisdom you've shared on so many topics over the years.

Sending warmest wishes your way as you find the balance you need in your very full life. And, like so many others here, I was delighted to read that you do plan to check in from time-to-time as your schedule permits...xo Lucy

p.s. The railroad exhibit looks awesome! Next road trip, the hubs and I will definitely drop by to see it.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Lucy, I'd be more than happy to give you a personal tour!
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Dear Susan,
Thank you for your warm welcome to me as a moderator. I have learned from the gentle wisdom you've shared with many. As a former teacher, I heard many teachers say "if you change the lives of one person, you've had a great career." Now we know that learning is a life-long activity, and that "teachers" like you change many lives for the better!
Having had a great initial trip to the Southwest last fall, my husband and I have Colorado on our to-do list. When we do, I hope we'll be seeing your newly invigorated, well-curated museum!
4/4 and still an optimist!
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

SusanJ wrote: And just for fun, here is a photo of part of a recent railroad exhibit I just finished.

28516115_2126781250669396_4406060199338235169_o.jpg
This is too cool! When I get up there to sit in the springs with you this will be on the list.

I'm happy for you to have such a great project to focus on, and with the caregiver role to come you are wise to be especially selective. Your husband's sister is incredibly lucky to have you both. If find as a caregiver that my hobby (ie, not apoe4 related and far from it) is my most valuable escape portal when the serious issues weigh me down and my protocol activities aren't enough of a mental diversion.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.