Want to provide input on Alzheimer's research funding?

Julie G
Mod
Mod

Want to provide input on Alzheimer's research funding?

Post by Julie G »

Friends, we’ve recently been approached to nominate member(s) to act in a peer review capacity for the Congressionally Directed Medical Research Program for Alzheimer’s disease research. This is an important role considering that last month Congress approved and appropriated $15 million in funding for the Peer Reviewed Alzheimer’s Research Program for FY18. 

They are seeking Consumer Reviewers to act as lay experts on Alzheimer’s, bringing your experience and perspectives to the evaluation of research grant proposals. You would be providing crucial input to the panel, serving alongside scientific and medical experts to represent those most directly affected by Alzheimer’s. Consumer Reviewers help to ensure research selected for funding has the greatest potential of impact. Your perspective and opinion bring relevance and practicality to the review process and is valued by scientists and clinicians. You will also learn about exciting proposed research projects that may lead to new therapies and interventions.

The Consumer Reviewer selection is a multi-step process. The selection process includes submission of an electronic nomination form linked below, a current resume and a written recommendation from an advocacy organization familiar with your advocacy work- that would most likely be us. The application indicates that you must have some affiliation with the military, while that likely wouldn’t hurt, I’ve been assured that is not the case. If selected, you’d be provided a fee for your service and all travel expenses would be covered. Please let me know if you’re interested: juliegee@apoe4.info and I’ll try to navigate the process with you.
FY18 CSRA E-Nom Form - Sutch.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NancyM
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Want to provide input on Alzheimer's research funding?

Post by NancyM »

Wow - what a testament to the quality of the people and information shared on this site. I know many members will certainly qualify to make a significant contribution to this endeavor. Although I don't post often, I am a regular consumer of the insights and knowledge shared, and I just want to express my appreciation.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

What a great opportunity!

I think you and I probably can come up with a couple of names...that aren't you and I. ;)
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

I have it on my own authority that it is in my power to add you two, Julie and Susan, to the list. Consider it done, should you be willing!
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

I followed the link at the bottom of page 4 of the Nomination Form (pp. 1-4 are preliminary info) and found that the priorities for Fiscal Year 2018 have been announced, and focus on the relationship between traumatic brain injury and AD and related dementias (ADRD). Makes sense, given the huge numbers of returning vets with concussive, closed and open head injuries who may face an increased, but poorly defined risk of dementia. Apoe 4 is certainly an additional risk factor for these vets, and the knowledge of how to provide timely information, peer support and coaching towards lifestyle interventions which reduce risk and increase resiliency to AD and ADRD makes perfect sense. In the small print not included with the section I copied below is a phrase that says, in effect: "No drug companies need apply." Looks like this will be university-level research, with the requirement that the lead researcher be at least at an assistant professor level.

Here's an excerpt, with the areas that seem most applicable to the capabilities and perspective of our community highlighted in blue:
Department of Defense Peer Reviewed Alzheimer's Research ProgramFunding Opportunities for Fiscal Year 2018
The FY18 Defense Appropriations Act provides $15 million (M) to the Department of Defense Peer Reviewed Alzheimer’s Research Program (PRARP) to support research which addresses the long-term consequences of traumatic brain injury (TBI) as they pertain to Alzheimer’s disease (AD) and related dementias (ADRD).

FY18 PRARP Overarching Challenges and Focus Areas:

All applications for FY18 PRARP funding opportunities must address at least one of the following FY18 Overarching Challenges. The FY18 Overarching Challenges may be mechanism-specific.

PRARP FY18 Overarching Challenges
Paucity of Research Resources: The paucity of research resources to examine the interrelationship between TBI and subsequent AD/ADRD for the military, Veteran, and civilian communities.
Paucity of Clinical Studies: The paucity of clinical studies to examine the interrelationship between TBI and subsequent AD/ADRD for the military, Veteran, and civilian communities. This includes research into risk factors which may predispose individuals to AD/ADRD subsequent to TBI.
Diagnostic Technologies, Tests, Biomarkers, or Devices: The need for technologies, tests, or devices to detect or prognose the progression to AD/ADRD subsequent to TBI. This includes research into risk factors which may predispose individuals to AD/ADRD subsequent to TBI.
Quality of Life: The need for technologies, assessments, interventions, or devices to benefit individuals living with the common symptoms or deficits of TBI and AD/ADRD.
Caregiver Support: The need for technologies, assessments, interventions, or devices with the goal of enhancing the lives of caregivers for individuals living with the common symptoms or deficits of TBI and AD/ADRD.
Epidemiology: The paucity of epidemiological research to examine the interrelationship between TBI and subsequent AD/ADRD for the military, Veteran, and civilian communities. This includes research into risk factors which may predispose individuals to AD/ADRD subsequent to TBI.

In addition to addressing one or more of the specified FY18 Overarching Challenges, applications should also address at least one of the following FY18 Focus Areas in support of the FY18 Overarching Challenges. An application that proposes research outside of the FY18 Focus Areas is acceptable, as long as the applicant provides a strong rationale. The Focus Areas will be mechanism-specific.

PRARP FY18 Focus Areas
Mechanisms of Pathogenesis: Identification of contributing mechanisms (e.g., diffuse/traumatic axonal injury, roles of non-neuronal cells, neuroinflammation, immune regulation, biology/pathology of tau, vascular contributions, and omics techniques for examining mechanisms) associated with TBI and subsequent AD/ADRD pathogenesis.
Biomarkers: Development of strategies to diagnose, prognose, or characterize neurological changes or risk factors associated with TBI and subsequent AD/ADRD (e.g., fluid based, imaging-based, physiological, and omics techniques for biomarkers).
Quality of Life: Research intended to alleviate, stabilize, or characterize the symptoms, or deficits, common to TBI, AD, and ADRD. Examples of research in this Focus Area include: Identification and management of comorbidities and modifiable risk factors (e.g., sleep apnea, obesity), cognitive training interventions, studies of health and wellness, and behavioral interventions.
Caregiver Support: Research intended to enhance the role of the caregiver for individuals living with the common symptoms or deficits of TBI and AD/ADRD. Examples of research in this Focus Area include: Caregiver training, home-based support, behavioral interventions, and relationship interventions.
Epidemiological Research: Research focusing on the incidence, distribution, and other factors relating to the health of individuals affected by TBI and subsequent AD/ADRD.
[
u]Novel Target Identification[/u]: Basic research (non-human) directly leading to the identification of new targets for the development of existing or new investigational medicines, drugs, or agents.
Nonpharmacological Interventions: Research into non-medication-based interventions to improve quality of life or caregiving for those living with AD/ADRD.
4/4 and still an optimist!
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

I'm very pleased to announce that two of our members, NF52 and Fiver, have been chosen to serve as peer reviewers for the Congressionally Directed Medical Research Program for Alzheimer’s disease research initiative. In fiscal year 2018, congress approved and appropriated $15 million in funding for this program. Given the magnitude of the program, we're thrilled to have you representing our interests in making important decisions about how this money will be directed. Congratulations to you both and thank you for your service. I know this is a huge commitment that will involve lots of traveling, etc. We're very proud of YOU :D!
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Congratulations!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lucy5 »

Wonderful news!
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Great representatives for sure! Thank you both for stepping up to serve.
roxanne
Contributor
Contributor

Post by roxanne »

Wow, congratulations NF52 and Fiver. I am definitely a consumer of information here and I can attest to the quality of support NF and Fiver provide- two very bright and compassionate people. I am so honored to be a member of this site.