Promethese disconnected from 23 and Me??

jkramer65
Contributor
Contributor

Promethese disconnected from 23 and Me??

Post by jkramer65 »

Anyone else get this email? I wonder why 23 and Me is not wanting to be connected to Promethese. Anyone know?

EMAIL
In 2012, we launched an API program that has allowed many different developers to provide a secure way for customers to transfer and then use their 23andMe data in new ways — beyond the information we provide in our service. We are writing to let you know about changes we are making to our API program that may impact you.

While we have had some great app developers using our API program, there are others that do not meet our scientific standards and lack rigorous privacy policies. Because of this, we have decided to change our API program to have established standards around scientific integrity and privacy that app developers must meet before being accepted. This change will mean that most apps that currently use the API will be disabled and you will no longer be able to share your data directly from the 23andMe experience with these apps.

Our records indicate that you (or someone within your shared account) are currently sharing your 23andMe data with one or more of these apps. You can review the specific apps you are connected with in your 23andMe settings, under the Privacy/Sharing section. If you still wish to share your data with certain apps, you will always have the ability to access your raw genetic data, download it and share it directly.

For more information, please read our blog post announcing these changes.

Sincerely,
The 23andMe Team
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Promethese disconnected from 23 and Me??

Post by NF52 »

jkramer65 wrote:Anyone else get this email? I wonder why 23 and Me is not wanting to be connected to Promethese. Anyone know?
Hi,
This has caused some concern among folks, but you can still get your data and then upload it to Promethease. Some articles have referenced voluntary guidelines signed by several genetic data companies to require express consent prior to sharing data with 3rd party companies. https://www.theverge.com/2018/8/1/17638 ... e-ancestry

23& me is still willing to share your data with Promethease; you just need to go through a few more hoops. Below is a very helpful explanation from a member who contacted Promethease, and here is a link to the thread that discussed it. Upcoming changes to the 23andMe API Program If you have trouble finding your raw data on 23 & me, I think their help feature should "help".
Fc1345linville wrote:Here's a follow up from Promethease that clarifies the options:
Hello from Promethease,

We have received many inquiries about a recent announcement made by direct-to-consumer genomics company 23andMe which we'd like to address.

For years 23andMe has been providing the capability for users to directly transfer their raw DNA data from 23andMe to third party apps such as Promethease. Unfortunately, this functionality is being eliminated by 23andMe on September 6, 2018.

However, 23andMe will still allow users to download their own raw data (to the user's computer or device), and we have always supported uploading these files to Promethease. It does take a few more steps, but this is the method to use after September 6, 2018 to transfer 23andMe data to Promethease.

If you previously created an account on Promethease, you can see your uploads at
https://promethease.com/manage_dna_files
and "regenerate" a fresh report from any of those files at no charge (as long as your previous report was created at least 45 days earlier, otherwise it's considered fresh).

If you have access to any 23andMe data which isn't yet stored with us, we invite you to use our quick and easy "Import from 23andMe" option for a short while longer, while 23andMe's functionality is still available. There is a one-time fee, and once the data is in your Promethease account, future reports based on it are free (by clicking the "regenerate report now" link found on your account's DNA file management page).

After 23andMe shuts down their API, we'll remove the "Import from 23andMe" button. From then on, you'll still have access to the same "Upload raw data" button that works for data from any of the many other companies we support. Specific instructions are available at
https://www.snpedia.com/index.php/Get_your_raw_data
4/4 and still an optimist!
jkramer65
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jkramer65 »

So this has nothing to do with Promethese being inaccurate?
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Nope! I’ve used Promethease and while I’m no geneticist, I’ve found it helpful. And 23 & me’s policy applies to all 3rd party companies.
4/4 and still an optimist!
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ru442 »

I believe it is because of all the security risks... image someone hacking in an getting not only your personal info but your genetics? Just not worth it.... it could ruin a company, look at Equifax. That hack has had massive repercussions across all industries (I work for a large pharma and it scared the crap out them!).
Male 4/4 56 yrs., "Live, Laugh, Love"
samspade
Contributor
Contributor

Post by samspade »

I downloaded my dna file from 23andme a few days ago and uploaded it to Promethease. 15 minutes later it was processed. That is why I'm here trying to find out more about ApoE4.
Eric
3/4