Alzheimer’s Prevention Research Study

TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Alzheimer’s Prevention Research Study

Post by TheresaB »

I posted this the other day, but it got wiped out by our technical difficulties, so doing this again.

I was asked to post this:
After decades of research we believe we may be close to finding something remarkable. But now we need your help.

To test our investigational treatment, we’re asking people like you to help us. We’re not looking for people with Alzheimer’s, but rather those with the APOE4 gene who do not have any symptoms.

The Generation Program is made up of two clinical trials: Generation Study 1 and Generation Study 2. Each trial will last for 5 – 8 years and will be investigating treatment that may be able to prevent the onset of Alzheimer’s. We have many study sites across the USA.

If you, or someone you know, are 60-75 and have not been diagnosed with any memory impairment, this is your chance to join the fight against Alzheimer’s. A fight we can take on together.

Learn more, and see how you can help by calling 877-547-6572 or visiting GenerationProgram.com.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Alzheimer’s Prevention Research Study

Post by NF52 »

TheresaB wrote:I posted this the other day, but it got wiped out by our technical difficulties, so doing this again.
After decades of research we believe we may be close to finding something remarkable. But now we need your help.

To test our investigational treatment, we’re asking people like you to help us. We’re not looking for people with Alzheimer’s, but rather those with the APOE4 gene who do not have any symptoms.

The Generation Program is made up of two clinical trials: Generation Study 1 and Generation Study 2. Each trial will last for 5 – 8 years and will be investigating treatment that may be able to prevent the onset of Alzheimer’s. We have many study sites across the USA.

If you, or someone you know, are 60-75 and have not been diagnosed with any memory impairment, this is your chance to join the fight against Alzheimer’s. A fight we can take on together.

Learn more, and see how you can help by calling 877-547-6572 or visiting GenerationProgram.com.
Thanks Theresa for re-posting.
I'd just like to add that some of our younger members may have healthy parents ages 60-75 who are ApoE 3/4 or 4/4 and would like to be part of finding more pieces of the puzzle for themselves and their adult children and grandchildren. ( Parents still get to make these decisions for themselves, and disclosure of the ApoE 4 status of an adult child is potentially difficult information to share.) People don't need to have done 23 & me or other genetic testing. They can contact the Generation Program or Gene Match Gene Match and have a free test. (ApoE results will not be shared unless the person is referred to a potential trial site, and will only be disclosed after meeting with the individual and determining that doing so will not be to their detriment.)
4/4 and still an optimist!
NotAlone8357
Contributor
Contributor

Post by NotAlone8357 »

Hello, this is NotAlone, I just signed up for this gene study sponsored by Novartis. I pray I did the right thing.
Has anyone else signed up yet, or thinking about it?
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

NotAlone8357 wrote:Hello, this is NotAlone, I just signed up for this gene study sponsored by Novartis. I pray I did the right thing.
Has anyone else signed up yet, or thinking about it?
Welcome, NotAlone8357!

You are definitely not alone in signing up for the Generations Study I or 2; by my count we have at least 10 members who live from coast to coast and lots of places in-between who are in Generations 1 or 2, and possibly some members in the U.K.

I am guessing you might be starting screening for Generations 2, which includes people with both ApoE 3/4 and ApoE 4/4. I am one of the 4/4 people who signed up for Generations 1, which is just for people with ApoE 4/4 and which I think has reached its target number of participants. Two years after I started the screening process, and 18 months after I started taking either CNP520 or placebo, I can say that I'm glad to be helping to answer important questions.

In both arms of the Generations 1 study, about 68% of people receive the actual study drug and about 32% receive the placebo. No one at the study site knows who gets what; that's what makes it a "double-blind" study. I think the split between the study drug and placebo is about the same for Generations 2. That would mean that, if you are accepted and consent to the study, you'd have about a 2/3 chance of getting CNP520 at either a 15mg dose or 50 mg.dose and about 1/3 chance of getting a placebo. The pill bottle is actually labeled that way, with all 3 possibilities: CNP520 15mg/50mg/placebo. A reason to study different doses is because it might be possible (and better) to give people a small dose starting at a younger age to avoid very early changes in brain function.

This is a different approach than most of the failed Alzheimer's studies, which looked at reversing amyloid plaques once people had already developed MCI or AD and hoping that would slow progression. I think of CNP520 as putting sunblock on every day before you ever get a sunburn--not after you've been diagnosed with skin cancer (something I learned a little too late :oops: )

When my husband first heard me say "it's a 5 year study", his reaction was to ask if we'd be able to babysit the grandkids, go on vacation and have a normal life. Eighteen months after getting through screening (which is when the most appointments happen), I can say we can do all of those things! I think about 7 people on this forum are in one of these two studies, with several others who went through part of the screening and either didn't qualify or elected not to proceed. I have been given wonderful support from my study site. They try very hard to accommodate my schedule, and answer my questions. I have gone through surgical procedures, adjusted the supplements I take, and had antibiotics for bronchitis in the last 18 months. Each time my nurse practitioner response is "We want you to be safe and to do what is right for you."

Here are some links to users in the Generations 1 and 2 studies:
CAD106 and CNP520
Ozarks Folk?
New Member Introduction

And here's a link to our best tips for being sure people see your post by quoting them, and searching for "CNP520" and other terms, and subscribing to topics: "How-To" Get the most out of the ApoE4.info website

Keep us posted, NotAlone; you're never alone here!
NotAlone8357
Contributor
Contributor

Post by NotAlone8357 »

Thank you NF53. So much for your support. I am apoe4/4 and just finished my 5 hour appointment. It went well, except I have a UTI. I am not sure if I can’t get rid if the infection they will except me. Thank you for all the information you sent, it was VERY helpful
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

NotAlone8357 wrote:I am apoe4/4 and just finished my 5 hour appt It went well, except I have a UTI. I am not sure if I can’t get rid if the infection they will except me.
No worries, my friend! They took me after I got a weird eye condition and needed to put things on hold for a month. Their procedure is to wait until you are “stable”, with no current antibiotics or new medical issues. But in a 5 year study, they know things will happen! Hope you feel better soon!
blp
Contributor
Contributor

Post by blp »

Hi folks. I completed screening for Generations 1 and began taking either CNP520 50 mg or Placebo just this week. I believe enrollment in Generations 1 will end soon, possibly in a few days at the end of this month.

Recently some changes to the consent form were made so that even though I had signed a consent form at the beginning of the screening process I had to sign another one this week. One of the changes they pointed out to me that is that they are considering lowering the CNP520 dose from 50 mg per day to 50 mg per week or 6 mg per day. From the wording in the consent form this seems to be related to a review of the data done by the "(unblinded) Data Monitoring Committee (DMC)". This new section in the consent form goes on to say, "If the new dose is a weekly dose, you will be instructed to take your study medication once a week on the same day of the week... Later you may receive a new medication pack containing less (sic) capsules for weekly dosing or a lower dose of 6mg CNP520 for daily intake (or corresponding placebo)." Does anyone else know more about this possible change to the Generations 1 protocol?
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

blp wrote:Hi folks. I completed screening for Generations 1 and began taking either CNP520 50 mg or Placebo just this week... One of the changes they pointed out to me that is that they are considering lowering the CNP520 dose from 50 mg per day to 50 mg per week or 6 mg per day. From the wording in the consent form this seems to be related to a review of the data done by the "(unblinded) Data Monitoring Committee (DMC)"... Does anyone else know more about this possible change to the Generations 1 protocol?
Welcome, blp!

I am also in the Generations 1 Study and have been for about 21 months. I still remember the feeling of accomplishment to finally have the "baseline day" arrive and go home with those 4 bottles of pills (whether they were CNP 520 or a placebo!) I think close to 10 people overall on the forum are in either the Generations 1 or Generations 2 study, and some more people have gone through some of the screening process.

As for your new consent, I probably will get a similar update in 3 weeks when I go for my next short appointment, but had heard some rumors about a possible change in dosage at some future point. While I can't tell you what the study researchers have planned yet, I have some ideas.

First, any change in consent has to be approved by each cooperating institution's (i.e. university or research center) Institutional Review Board, a process that can take months. I have probably signed 3 or 4 new consent forms since I started the screening process in January 2017, and know that the site I am on took months to approve adding CNP520 to the original CAD106 immunotherapy arm. So that stage of the process is one that places the health and informed consent of participants front and center.

Second: The way it was explained to me is that every large drug trial like this has an outside committee of people not affiliated with either the study sites, the drug company or anyone directly involved in working with the participants. They are the only ones during the trial who periodically look at "unblinded" data (the real results of people on the trial, using participant study numbers, not names). This is done at certain points to be sure that the drug is not causing any serious adverse events (SAEs) that would require the trial to be cancelled. This happened last fall with some other BACE-1 inhibitor trials using a different formulation than CNP520, when they discovered that some people during the first year on those two drugs had some abnormal liver enzyme results. After those trials were cancelled, the CNP520 Data Monitoring Committee did an unblinded review in January 2019 to check for any similar effects. They did not find any, but added additional first year monitoring for an extra level of scrutiny. I heard from my nurse practitioner that a later analysis also failed to find any harmful effects from CNP520.

Data monitoring groups can also look to see if drugs are showing enough difference from the placebo to justify continuing what are expensive, years-long trials. The other arm of Generations 1, using CAD106, started about a year earlier than CNP520 and went through that analysis last year (called a "futility analysis" since if a drug is half-way through its trial and shows no difference than a placebo it may be "futile" to continue.) It passed, by the way, so people on that "arm" of Generations 1 are now in their 2nd or 3rd year in some cases.

What I suspect might be a possible outcome of the Data Monitoring is that they have discovered that participants on CNP520 show the expected 80% or higher reduction of amyloid beta in the brain, since that is what was found on an earlier Stage 2 13-week trial using 2mg, 10 mg, 35mg. and 80 mg. dose formulations of CNP520l. People on the 2 mg. daily dose showed a 20-30% reduction in amyloid beta and on the 35 mg dose showed an average of about 62% reduction of amyloid beta. https://www.novctrd.com/CtrdWeb/displaypdf.nov?trialresultid=15947

One option, that I have heard proposed, is that if anti-amyloid treatments are successful, they would be used in the future with an initial higher dose to greatly reduce the existing amyloid beta in the brain, and then reduced to a "maintenance" dose to keep production of toxic amyloid at a low level, while allowing other functions of the Amyloid Precursor Protein (APP) which the BACE-1 drug inhibits, to function at a higher level. (Full disclosure--this is third-hand information and probably Novartis and Generations 1 researchers would groan if they read my explanation.)

So think of it this way: they are keeping their options open to reduce the amount of CNP520 in your system, probably because they are still working out approvals for how and when they would do that. If I hear more in three weeks, I'll post an update (or send you a Private Message.) In the meantime, I want to thank you for being willing to have lots of blood drawn, lie still through those noisy MRIs and the much quieter PET scans, and take all those lovely tests (which confirm for me exactly what I have always known are my strengths and weaknesses!) I hope your study partner is as happy for you and patient with his/her time commitment as my husband.

If you want to find some easy ways to navigate this site, quote other users, and search for topics of interest, check out "How-To" Get the most out of the ApoE4.info website

You have lots of good company on this forum, both in study participants and in those who know what a brand new world awaits when you discover your ApoE 4 status. Hugs from a friend in Virginia!
SamNZ
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SamNZ »

blp wrote:Hi folks. I completed screening for Generations 1 and began taking either CNP520 50 mg or Placebo just this week. I believe enrollment in Generations 1 will end soon, possibly in a few days at the end of this month.

Recently some changes to the consent form were made ...
Hi blp and welcome,
How awesome that you are going to be a part of something that has the possibility to truly make history in the treatment of this disease for future generations - on behalf of me and my kids I thank you. You have obviously been on quite a journey to get yourself to our community, I am not sure how much more you know about our community, I see that you have been sent the link for navigating, but if you are new here the Primer which contains a wealth of information about the ApoE4 gene etc is a fantastic place to start.
We also have an Our Stories forum that we would love for you to join and share a little on the journey you have been on to find yourself here. Welcome again, I hope your questions are all answered by one of our amazing contributors. SamNZ
Samantha McBride
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
blp
Contributor
Contributor

Post by blp »

Thanks for the warm welcome and pointers to more information, NF52 and SamNZ.