URGENT: Biomarker Study Opportunity for ApoE4.Info Members

Including yourself, how many people from your family do you think are likely to enroll?

Poll ended at Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:52 am

2%
68%
24%
7%
No votes

Total votes: 119

floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Re: URGENT: Biomarker Study Opportunity for ApoE4.Info Members

Post by floramaria »

DanaOBX wrote:Hi,

I am interested in participating. Please keep me posted.

Thank you,
Dana
Welcome, DanaOBX We are happy that you have found the ApoE4.Info website and that you are interested in participating in the biomarkers study.
Since you have recently joined, I’d like to point your towards some resources available here that you might not have found yet.
The Primer, written by Stavia, a physician member, is an excellent overview of the ApoE4 allele, explaining what the ApoE alleles do in our bodies, what risks are associated with the ApoE4,
And prioritized steps for reducing the risks and improving our odds of living long, healthy lives .
We have a Wiki that goes in depth on many relevant topics. And if you are interested in seeing what has been posted by community members on a specific topic, the Search function is a tremendous tool. Click the magnifying glass to the left of you user name and enter a word or phrase and it will bring up all posts containing what you entered.

Other tools for navigating the site can be found in the How-To Get the Most out of the ApoE4.info website section of the WiKi. That will give you information on subscribing to threads, quoting when responding to another member so they are notified of your response, previewing and saving drafts of posts, and other useful tidbits. As someone who had to discover these things slowly over time (by trial and many errors) before we had this WiKi section, I highly recommend it!
You will find a supportive community here as well as a wealth of information. If you’d like to tell us about yourself and let us know what brings you to the site the Our Stories forum is a good place to do that.
On behalf of the community, a warm welcome to you.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
latebloomer1010
Contributor
Contributor

Post by latebloomer1010 »

I am interested.
CoachMT
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CoachMT »

DanaOBX wrote:Hi,

I am interested in participating. Please keep me posted.

Thank you,
Dana
Welcome to the to the Apoe4.info community DanaOBX! Great to hear you are interested in participating in the Biomarker study!

For your reference around the study, I wanted to share part of a post from Senior Contributor, NF52: “As for the biomarker study, don't worry! The "urgent" part of that was just to gauge the interest of forum members in a not-yet-available study of biomarkers. If you happen to be interested in currently available clinical studies of people with ApoE 4, just post a reply about that, or do a "search" (magnifying glass icon by your name) for "clinical trials".

In the meantime,the primer, is a great place to start to learn about the resources available on this site. It was authored by a member physician who also carries two copies of the APOE-ε4 allele. It is regularly updated and provides information on the science behind the APOE-ε4 allele, tips on diet and lifestyle choices, biomarkers to check, and prevention strategies. Additionally, there's a lot to absorb on the site so you may also be interested in checking out the"How-To" Get the most out of the ApoE4.info website. Where you can learn tips and tricks for navigating and how to get the most out of the ApoE.info site. You’ll find screen shots and easy to follow directions for how to subscribe to topics and threads, how to quote users so they know when you’ve replied to their post, and much more! Also, you may also be interested in checking out Our Stories to learn about fellow community members and to share with fellow members a little bit about your own story.

Great to have you as part of the community!
Best,
Mandy
-Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline (FMCA)
-Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
-National Board Certified- Health and Wellness Coach (NBC-HWC)
docmaas
Contributor
Contributor

Post by docmaas »

I am interested too.
Saskia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Saskia »

I would be interested (and appreciate the poll has closed) but assume I cannot participate from Europe.
45 years old, E4/E4 and strangely no AD in (large) family. Mother (73 yo) E4/E4, father (87 yo) E4/E3, both symptom free. Recently started 16h fasts, taking resveratrol/B12/curcumin/krill oil/folic acid. Working on minimizing sugar & refined carbs
rat8the8rat
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rat8the8rat »

I am interested in participating. I also do not see where this poll is. I clicked on each link in the original post and didn’t see it. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rat8the8rat
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rat8the8rat »

CindyS wrote:I'm so glad I saw this! I signed the Poll. Thank you for all you do Julie G and the Stavia post with slides on Plasmalogens in 2018.
( we met at AHS 8/2016)
Where is this poll? Can someone provide a link?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
babl
Contributor
Contributor

Post by babl »

Hope I'm not too late! I'd love to participate, as well. Might as well put all of these blood tests to use! :)
TreeHugger
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TreeHugger »

I'm posting here in case you decide to mine this post for participants. I can afford to enroll 2 participants for 2 years. I'm e2/e4 and the other family member would be e2/e3.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

TreeHugger wrote:I'm posting here in case you decide to mine this post for participants. I can afford to enroll 2 participants for 2 years. I'm e2/e4 and the other family member would be e2/e3.
Hi TreeHugger,

I applaud your interest in supporting research!

Your ApoE2 allele has been shown to confer remarkable resilience to Alzheimer's and other dementias.
A recent study, EXCEPTIONALLY LOW LIKELIHOOD OF ALZHEIMER’S DEMENTIA IN APOE2 HOMOZYGOTES by a stellar international group focused on analyzing the 1% of so of the population with ApoE 2/2. But they also also analyzed ApoE 2/3 and ApoE 2/4. On p. 24, Table 2, of the study, it seems to indicate that compared to someone like me with ApoE 4/4, someone with ApoE 2/4 has a 0.086 odds ratio for AD (or only 8.6 % of the risk of ApoE 4/4) and someone with ApoE 2/3 has a 0.012 odds ratio (1.2% of the ApoE 4/4 risk).

Figure 1 on p.26 shows that 50% of people age 90 with ApoE 2/3 still did not have AD, and 25% of those who lived to 100. This data is from multiple studies, but many of them are affiliated with Alzheimer's Research Centers, so it's likely that the percentage of people with AD actually skews a little lower in a population-based sample. An example of someone on this forum who is ApoE 2/4 is "Berri" from Seattle who participates in forum "meet-ups", community events and posts about new research while gearing up for her 85th birthday!

By the way, several of the authors of this study were in the group that identified a new "Christchurch" mutation in the woman in Colombia which protected her for 40 years from Alzheimers, even though she has a dominant gene for familial early-onset Alzheimer's and most family members were diagnosed in their 30's and 40's. Why Didn’t She Get Alzheimer’s? The Answer Could Hold a Key to Fighting the Disease
4/4 and still an optimist!