URGENT: Biomarker Study Opportunity for ApoE4.Info Members

Including yourself, how many people from your family do you think are likely to enroll?

Poll ended at Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:52 am

2%
68%
24%
7%
No votes

Total votes: 119

DebbieG
Contributor
Contributor

Re: URGENT: Biomarker Study Opportunity for ApoE4.Info Members

Post by DebbieG »

I'm e3/e4 and am interested in participating. I think that a couple of other family members might be interested as well.
bladedmind
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by bladedmind »

Count me in - however it seems that this is in the proposal stage and actual signup will be different,
I'm 4/4, 69 years, and could also cajole my 35 year old son in another major city who is 4/4.
rebeccaH
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rebeccaH »

I am in interested in participating in the study if it isn't too late. I am e4/e4 and brand new to this site. So relieved to find this information!
Elevation
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Elevation »

I am extremely interested and excited. I am 4/4, 62 YO, F, No symptoms. I have extensive family members whom I would be willing to contact. However, they are unaware of my status at this time. This would be a reason to have a conversation with them about APOE 4/4. What an opportunity! I cannot thank you enough.
CoachMT
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CoachMT »

rebeccaH wrote:I am in interested in participating in the study if it isn't too late. I am e4/e4 and brand new to this site. So relieved to find this information!
Welcome to the ApoE4.info community Rebecca! It’s great to have you join this active and supportive community! Terrific to hear that you are interested in participating in the Biomarker study!

If you haven’t seen it already, the primer is a great place to learn about the resources available on the ApoE4.info site that you may want to incorporate into your own learning journey. It was authored by a member physician who also carries two copies of the APOE-ε4 allele. The primer is regularly updated and provides information on the science behind the APOE-ε4 allele, tips on diet and lifestyle choices, biomarkers to check, and prevention strategies.

You may also be interested in checking out Our Stories forum to learn about community members embarking on the same journey. Feel free to post questions and share about your own journey.

Great to have you as part of the community! Best, Mandy
-Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline (FMCA)
-Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
-National Board Certified- Health and Wellness Coach (NBC-HWC)
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Cactusseashell1 wrote:I am also interested, but can’t answer for my family’s participation interest at this point. I am a 72 year old 4/4 in good health. Unfortunately, my mother and 5 of her first cousins and my grandfather and two of his sisters had AD so I always assumed I probably would too! However, so far, so good!
Welcome, Cactusseashell1!

What a lovely name! I suspect that you are a lover of the desert and oceans. Since you are 72 and in good health, I hope you have the free time to enjoy both. I am a 67 year old with ApoE 4/4 and also healthy. While I would pick the ocean over a desert, I had a wonderful 2 weeks in Arizona and Utah last year, and now understand the appeal of the saguaro cactus and the Red Rocks of Sedona and the Navajo slot canyons in Page AZ.

My family history is much like yours. My mother and 4 of her sisters died with a combination of dementia and heart disease in their 70's to late 80's; my dad died of cardiac arrest at age 67. It is likely, however, that you and I have benefited from knowledge and opportunities that weren't available to our parents and grandparents. For example, my dad's doctor didn't know that diabetes was never "mild" and led to coronary artery disease and my mother's doctor assumed that blood pressure went to high levels as a "normal" part of aging and that sleep apnea wasn't a big issue. I grew up on Wonder bread, bologna sandwiches with Velveeta cheese and Jello, which might count as borderline child abuse now!

Our parents and grandparents often didn't have the opportunity for college (or sometimes even high school) educations, which has been shown to delay cognitive issues by almost 9 years in a population-based study of 2000 people followed for years:
For APOE4 carriers with high lifetime intellectual enrichment (75th percentile of education/occupation score and midlife to late-life cognitive activity), the onset of cognitive impairment was approximately 8.7 years later compared with low lifetime intellectual enrichment (25th percentile of education/occupation score and mid/late-life cognitive activity).
Association of Lifetime Intellectual Enrichment With Cognitive Decline in the Older Population

In addition, we now know the benefits of Vitamin D. I saw your post Pre-menopausal osteoporosis & Vitamin D that suggests you and your doctor have a great relationship and have kept your Vitamin D strong for 30 years. Chances are you have also benefited from better air and water quality than your ancestors, especially if you get ocean and desert air!

Here is a link to our handy wiki section on tips to navigate our site, quote members so they see your post, search and "follow" topics of interest: "How-To" Get the most out of the ApoE4.info website. The Wiki itself is a terrific resource of members' accumulated study of topics in depth.

Since you have both ApoE 4/4 and are interested in the upcoming Biomarker participation study, you may also be interested in some of these resources on other clinical trials, which are often seeking people just like you. (Full disclosure: I am in a clinical trial myself and no, I don't get a commission if I encourage other people to learn about them!)

Together We Make the Difference! Participate in Alzheimer's and Related Dementias Clinical Research is from the National Institute on Aging (a division of the National Institute of Health

Learn About Clinical Studies is a helpful NIH website, with a tab for searching (try Advanced Search to find studies near you, or of certain types.)

GeneMatch is sponsored by the Banner Alzheimer's Institute and sends a cheek swab for DNA testing, then notifies you of studies for which you may be eligible.

We look forward to having you post on many forums and share your insights and experiences! Hugs from a genetic "cousin"!
4/4 and still an optimist!
CoachMT
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CoachMT »

Cactusseashell1 wrote:I am also interested, but can’t answer for my family’s participation interest at this point. I am a 72 year old 4/4 in good health. Unfortunately, my mother and 5 of her first cousins and my grandfather and two of his sisters had AD so I always assumed I probably would too! However, so far, so good!
It's wonderful to have you as a member of the ApoE4.info community Cactusseashell!

Your zest for life, positivity, and optimism is contagious- thanks for sharing your sunny disposition with the community! So glad to see you are engaging with community members and learning from the site content. Great to hear you are interested in participating in the Biomarker study, as well!

You may have already taken a deep dive into the primer, however if you haven’t yet, it’s a great place to learn about the resources available on this site. It was authored by a member physician who also carries two copies of the APOE-ε4 allele. It is regularly updated and provides information on the science behind the APOE-ε4 allele, tips on diet and lifestyle choices, biomarkers to check, and prevention strategies. Additionally, you may also be interested in checking out Our Stories to learn about fellow community members and to share more about your own story.

Wonderful to have you as part of the community! Please don’t hesitate to ask questions. Best, Mandy
-Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline (FMCA)
-Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
-National Board Certified- Health and Wellness Coach (NBC-HWC)
jenbhappy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jenbhappy »

I can’t find the poll. I know you said above the topic, but there is nothing there. I’m 3/4 46 year old female.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DaleBru
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DaleBru »

I couldn't either, from Tapatalk, so I did it in a browser.
Chirokathleen
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Chirokathleen »

Count me in! (58 yo, APOE 4/4, on Bredesen prevention.)