URGENT: Biomarker Study Opportunity for ApoE4.Info Members

Including yourself, how many people from your family do you think are likely to enroll?

Poll ended at Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:52 am

2%
68%
24%
7%
No votes

Total votes: 119

NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: URGENT: Biomarker Study Opportunity for ApoE4.Info Members

Post by NF52 »

GigiMc wrote:I am interested in this. I didn’t see the poll. I am new to this site and not familiar with it completely. This Is my first post. [emoji3]
Welcome, GigiMc!

Since this is your first post and you're not familiar with our site, I would encourage you to spend some time checking out some key information. Here are some handy links:

We encourage new users to share their own stories of finding out about ApoE4, their own best practices to enjoy a healthy life and any questions or favorite topics on Our Stories

APOE-ε4 Introduction is especially useful if you just recently found out you have ApoE4, or think you might and are Thinking About Testing.

The Primer is an easy-to-browse resource with topic headings of topics related to strategies to understand and manage risk that you can begin at a pace that works for you.

"How-To" Get the most out of the ApoE4.info website is a great resource for new users. It shows screen shots of how to quote users so they will see your posts, how to search topics and how to use our Wiki.
4/4 and still an optimist!
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

JosieW wrote:Just responded to the poll. Count me in.
Welcome, JosieW!

We're glad you found this forum and always enjoy welcoming new members. Since it looks like you just found us, I would encourage you to spend some time checking out some key information. Here are some handy links:

We encourage new users to share their own stories of finding out about ApoE4, their own best practices to enjoy a healthy life and any questions or favorite topics on Our Stories

APOE-ε4 Introduction is especially useful if you just recently found out you have ApoE4, or think you might and are Thinking About Testing.

The Primer is an easy-to-browse resource with topic headings of topics related to strategies to understand and manage risk that you can begin at a pace that works for you.

"How-To" Get the most out of the ApoE4.info website is a great resource for new users. It shows screen shots of how to quote users so they will see your posts, how to search topics and how to use our Wiki.
CindyS
New User
New User

Post by CindyS »

I'm so glad I saw this! I signed the Poll. Thank you for all you do Julie G and the Stavia post with slides on Plasmalogens in 2018.
( we met at AHS 8/2016)
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Caroli77 wrote:I am interested in being a part of this study. Anxious to hear more about it!
At the age of 60 and a double e4, I am always looking for new therapies and supplements
to prolong the quality of my life.
A warm welcome to a fellow 60's with 4/4, Caroli77!

If you have not had the chance to check out some of the wonderful forums and resources of this site, here are some handy links:

It sounds like you have already found some strategies and supplements that work for you, since you mentioned looking for "new therapies and supplements". If you click on the magnifying glass icon by your user name in the upper right hand corner, you can search for what you currently use, and specific topics of interest.

For more tips, check out "How-To" Get the most out of the ApoE4.info website. It shows screen shots of how to quote users so they will see your posts, how to search topics and how to use our Wiki.

And as someone with ApoE 4/4 who is 60, you may also be interested in learning about participating in this and other clinical trials, using some of these resources:
Together We Make the Difference! Participate in Alzheimer's and Related Dementias Clinical Research is from the National Institute on Aging (a division of the National Institute of Health
Learn About Clinical Studies is a helpful NIH website, with a tab for searching (try Advanced Search to find studies near you, or of certain types.)
GeneMatch is sponsored by the Banner Alzheimer's Institute and sends a cheek swab for DNA testing, then notifies you of studies for which you may be eligible.

In case you have not yet decided about disclosing your status to your family members, here's a forum thread with lots of views:
Tell my children or not?

Please keep posting; we love to meet new friends. Hugs from a healthy and happy 66 year old with ApoE 4/4!
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Interested, but I am assuming this study is limited to the USA members. I am in Canada
Good question, newkana. I can't give you a definitive answer yet, but several of our collaborators are from Canada which might help. Stand by for more details as they become available.
Carync
New User
New User

Post by Carync »

My husband and I would like to participate. I voted in the poll. Thank you!
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

CindyS wrote:I'm so glad I saw this! I signed the Poll. Thank you for all you do Julie G and the Stavia post with slides on Plasmalogens in 2018.
( we met at AHS 8/2016)
Welcome, CindyS! I see that you joined this forum in June 2016! That makes you a "senior" member no matter what your age! We're glad you decided to register and become an official "new user", and hope you will feel comfortable sharing more about your interest in Plasmalogens and other topics, your own best practices to enjoy a healthy life and any questions or favorite topics on Our Stories

"How-To" Get the most out of the ApoE4.info website is a fairly recent resource that even veteran users have found useful. It shows screen shots of how to quote users so they will see your posts, how to search topics and how to use our Wiki.

Since you went to the meet-up in Boulder, CO in 2018, I hope you are enjoying a lovely mountain spring!
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Carync wrote:My husband and I would like to participate. I voted in the poll. Thank you!
Welcome Carynnc,

We're always happy when new users find our site, and hope it offers you and your husband a community of like-minded people eager to learn about ApoE 4. If you and your husband have not had the chance to check out some of the forums and resources of this site, here are some handy links:

We encourage new users to share their own stories of finding out about ApoE 4, their own best practices to enjoy a healthy life and any questions or favorite topics on Our Stories

For tips on easy ways to use this forum, check out "How-To" Get the most out of the ApoE4.info website. It shows screen shots of how to quote users so they will see your posts, how to search topics and how to use our Wiki which is a constantly improving resource of in-depth information on topics of interest.

The Primer is an easy-to-browse resource with topic headings of topics related to strategies to understand and minimize the effects of ApoE4 that you can begin at a pace that works for you.

In case you and your husband have not yet decided about disclosing your status to your family members, here's a forum thread with lots of views:
Tell my children or not?

Please keep posting; we love to meet new friends.
NancyM
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NancyM »

Count me in! I responded that I would be the only one in the family participating, but one of my adult children is now also expressing interest. Thanks for all you do Julie!
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Thorlox wrote:I would also like to be included in the study. Kindly let me know.
Michael Stern (Thorlox) 75 yr
Welcome Thorlox!
If you would prefer, I can say Welcome, Dr. Stern, since I saw your post (linked here: Our Stories:Thorlox) that you are a retired endodontist. Like you, I am retired and sometimes wish I could go back to school. This forum is both more fun and more accessible as an on-line community of smart people who love to share and debate ideas. We all have gone through warp speed learning curves since grad school! I do have to say, however, that I am glad that endodontists specialized in root canals, since someone in your field relieved some truly amazing pain several years ago!

For tips on easy ways to use this forum, check out "How-To" Get the most out of the ApoE4.info website. It shows screen shots of how to quote users so they will see your posts, how to search topics and how to use our Wiki which is a constantly improving resource of in-depth information on topics of interest.

The Primer is an easy-to-browse resource with topic headings of topics related to strategies to understand and minimize the effects of ApoE4 that you can begin at a pace that works for you.

In case you have not yet decided about disclosing your status to your family members, here's a forum thread with lots of views:
Tell my children or not?

And as someone with ApoE 4 interested in this upcoming participation offer who is between the ages of 60-75, the target audience for many observational and interventional clinical trials, you may also be interested in some of these resources:

Together We Make the Difference! Participate in Alzheimer's and Related Dementias Clinical Research is from the National Institute on Aging (a division of the National Institute of Health

Learn About Clinical Studies is a helpful NIH website, with a tab for searching (try Advanced Search to find studies near you, or of certain types.)

GeneMatch is sponsored by the Banner Alzheimer's Institute and sends a cheek swab for DNA testing, then notifies you of studies for which you may be eligible.

Please keep posting; we love to meet new friends whose minds are as sharp as yours! (And trust me, we would have had sugar in the 1970's even without our dentists' approval!)
Last edited by NF52 on Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.