NIH awards $47M for imaging study investigating lifestyle changes and brain health

Berri
Contributor
Contributor

NIH awards $47M for imaging study investigating lifestyle changes and brain health

Post by Berri »

This was in the latest Alzheimer's Association newsletter this morning: The U.S. National Institute on Aging (NIA) has awarded up to $47 million to the University of California, Berkeley, to incorporate advanced brain imaging into the Alzheimer's Association U.S. POINTER clinical trial. U.S. POINTER is investigating whether exercise, nutrition and other lifestyle changes can protect memory in people at risk of developing dementia.

https://www.healthimaging.com/topics/he ... erm=Story1
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: NIH awards $47M for imaging study investigating lifestyle changes and brain health

Post by mike »

I'm in, where do I sign up!?
Sonoma Mike
4/4
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: NIH awards $47M for imaging study investigating lifestyle changes and brain health

Post by NF52 »

berri wrote:This was in the latest Alzheimer's Association newsletter this morning: The U.S. National Institute on Aging (NIA) has awarded up to $47 million to the University of California, Berkeley, to incorporate advanced brain imaging into the Alzheimer's Association U.S. POINTER clinical trial. U.S. POINTER is investigating whether exercise, nutrition and other lifestyle changes can protect memory in people at risk of developing dementia.
mike wrote:I'm in, where do I sign up!?
Thanks for sharing this so quickly Berri! I saw the headline this morning, but not the details. The U.S. POINTER study is a 24-month intervention based on an earlier randomized trial of healthier diet, increased exercise, increased intellectual and social stimulation, and better management of heart and vascular health with senior citizens at-risk of dementia because of current status in those target areas. It was not targeted specifically to people with ApoE4, but the results were so impressive that several countries around the world are doing similar POINTER studies. It's notable that the Alzheimer's Association is funding the intervention part of the trial with $33 million, which I see as a dramatic recognition of the importance--and feasibility--of preventing or delaying MCI and dementia with lifestyle changes. Here's a link to a 2017 explanation of the FINGER study by the Alz. Assn.: U.S. POINTER Study

And Mike, here's a link to the Clinical Trials.gov site, which shows both inclusion and exclusion criteria. Currently only two sites are listed: UC Davis, in CA, and Wake-Forest University, in Winston-Salem, NC. But I have read that many other hospital-basd research centers will be a part of this, and may be recruiting people from their own patient lists as well as accepting applications.
Clinical Trial: U.S. Study to Protect Brain Health Through Lifestyle Intervention to Reduce Risk (POINTER)

Probably this will frustrate your hopes, Mike: Because they are targeting people at high risk, but also excluding some conditions, they list "Past or current use of insulin to treat Type 2 diabetes" as an exclusion factor, which I think you have mentioned taking in the past.
4/4 and still an optimist!
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

NF52 wrote:Probably this will frustrate your hopes, Mike: Because they are targeting people at high risk, but also excluding some conditions, they list "Past or current use of insulin to treat Type 2 diabetes" as an exclusion factor, which I think you have mentioned taking in the past.
Thanks for the links. I used insulin for a year, ending three years ago...but also, I don't live a "sedentary" life style, and I don't eat a "Poor Diet" - so yes, it sounds like this is not for me... Wanted the imagery part of it though... sigh
Sonoma Mike
4/4