Check out our new podcast

DebbieG
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Check out our new podcast

Post by DebbieG »

floramaria wrote: And in the podcast, he commented on people who have high HDL cholesterol and low triglycerides probably having good plasminogen levels.
Do those plasmologens not get to the brain?
From the excellent show notes :
34:38 Dr G – Plasmalogens are made in the peroxisomes of our body. If you have high HDL and low triglyceride levels, that’s usually an indicator of good plasmalogen levels. The plasmalogens are transported on HDL particles in the body. There’s a correlation, those with high plasmalogens have high HDL.
He also said "The essential fatty acids, DHA and EPA, act as peroxisome stimulators". As I think I understand it (sort of, incompletely), plasmalogens are created by the peroxisomes and transported to the brain via HDL under normal conditions. Through diet and supplementation with DHA and EPA, we stimulate the peroxisomes to make plasmalogens, as opposed to sending plasmalogens in any significant amounts to the brain intact from a dietary source. And APOE4s need higher levels of plasmalogens to start with, but our poor cholesterol transport makes cells get stiffer over time and peroxisome plasmalogen production degrades as this happens.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Hi all! Check out our latest podcast, a continuation of my earlier discussion with Dayan Goodenowe, PhD, about plasmalogens as they relate to cognition for ApoE4 carriers specifically. Dr. Goodenowe also shares the results from his clinical trial that he recently presented at the AAIC. It was a fascinating conversation; I highly encourage everyone to take a listen. You can access the podcast here:

Dayan Goodenowe, PhD: Plasmalogens & Neurological Health (Part 2)
nerdymel23
Contributor
Contributor

Post by nerdymel23 »

Julie G wrote:Hi all! Check out our latest podcast, a continuation of my earlier discussion with Dayan Goodenowe, PhD, about plasmalogens as they relate to cognition for ApoE4 carriers specifically. Dr. Goodenowe also shares the results from his clinical trial that he recently presented at the AAIC. It was a fascinating conversation; I highly encourage everyone to take a listen. You can access the podcast here:

I'm super intrigued with all of this! Thank you for the wonderful information.
ApoE3/4
Board Certified Functional Medicine Health Coach
Certified Wahls Protocol Health Coach
Certified ReCODE Health Coach
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

We've got a new podcast up. I recently had an interesting conversation with Sharon Hausman-Cohen, MD, the co-founder of IntellxxDNA. She’s put together a genomics tool that provides detailed actionable information. I’ve seen many with complex chronic health issues learn game-changing information from this test that helps them fine-tune their protocols with dramatic results. I’ve agreed to do my genomics and will share what I learn in part two. Check out the podcast (with transcript and show notes) here: Dr. Sharon Hausman-Cohen: Personalized Medicine Through Genomics
Blissful1
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Blissful1 »

Julie G thank you for supplying so many great podcasts and this forum.
I listened to this podcast and I appreciate the idea that they look at many SNPs and how they interact so we can get more personalized suggestions. My question is do you know how this compares to sending our raw data from 23andme through genetic genie or one of the other programs that could look at our many SNPs and how to prioritize the info.
Also does this IntellxxDNA need to get a new saliva sample or can it take raw data from23andme ?
I went down the MTHFR rabbit hole (before we learned that many other SNPs modify or help this SNP) also for APOE4 - be great to know which of the many Bredesen 37 holes need to focused on personally.
You are appreciated
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Julie G thank you for supplying so many great podcasts and this forum.
I listened to this podcast and I appreciate the idea that they look at many SNPs and how they interact so we can get more personalized suggestions. My question is do you know how this compares to sending our raw data from 23andme through genetic genie or one of the other programs that could look at our many SNPs and how to prioritize the info.
Also does this IntellxxDNA need to get a new saliva sample or can it take raw data from23andme ?
I went down the MTHFR rabbit hole (before we learned that many other SNPs modify or help this SNP) also for APOE4 - be great to know which of the many Bredesen 37 holes need to focused on personally.
You are appreciated
Great questions! This actually differs quite a bit from Genetic Genie and other similar programs. They identify issues, with either color coding or other prioritization codes but don't tell you the specific epigenetic actions you can take to intervene. My guess is that this will require a new saliva sample. I'll share more as I go through the process. FWIW, the downside to IntellxxDNA is the high price and the fact that it requires a practitioner visit to get results. That said, it's a one time test that could potential identify rate limiting steps to health optimization and Dr. Hausman-Cohen has very generously agreed to waive the fee for our current physicians to take her training so we can keep the same team. I reached out to Dr. Sunjya Schweig at the California Institute for Functional medicine, my practitioner, and he agreed to order my report, take the training, and guide me through this process. Dr. Hausman-Cohen also covers each practitioners first three reports so we additionally will have her expertise. I'm very curious to see what I will learn and will share it in a follow-up podcast.
Jlhughette
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jlhughette »

Julie G wrote:Hi all! Check out our latest podcast, a continuation of my earlier discussion with Dayan Goodenowe, PhD, about plasmalogens as they relate to cognition for ApoE4 carriers specifically. Dr. Goodenowe also shares the results from his clinical trial that he recently presented at the AAIC. It was a fascinating conversation; I highly encourage everyone to take a listen. You can access the podcast here:

Thank you for all these great podcasts! I’m intrigued with Dr Goodenowe’s findings of plasmologen levels being lowest in Apoe4 carriers. I feel an urgent desire to start taking his plasmologen Neuro supplement and spreading the word to family members and others. He also said that people with high HDL cholesterol with low small particle LDL and low triglycerides, which I have, were more likely to have higher levels of plasmologens, but he also talked about homocysteine and methylation problems of delivery.

The price of his product in optimal levels is quite high. Does anyone know if there might be a discount of any kind available? He talks a lot about making it affordable to vast populations.

I’m also wondering what those on Apoe4.info who are taking his plasmologen product have experienced.
Hughette
3/4
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Jlhughette wrote:I’m intrigued with Dr Goodenowe’s findings of plasmologen levels being lowest in Apoe4 carriers..
This is an incorrect interpretation. ApoE4 carriers follow the same distribution of plasmalogens as the rest of the population. What those with ApoE4 alleles need is to be at the top of the distribution to mitigate their ApoE4 risks. From the show notes for the first podcast with Dr. Goodenowe:

"31:57 Dr G – There is no association between ApoE genotype and plasmalogen levels. The association is that the risk of dementia is dependent on the plasmalogen level. An ApoE4 carrier with high plasmalogens does not have increased risk of dementia, the high plasmalogens are protective. It’s the level of plasmalogens that’s required for that protection which is dependent on the genotype. So if a person is an ApoE3 carrier, the level needed for protection is, strictly for illustration, say 50. If the individual is an ApoE4 carrier that level might be 80 and if an ApoE2 carrier it might be 30. The key point is how many plasmalogens you need is dependent on your genotype. An ApoE4 carrier needs higher levels of plasmalogens than an ApoE2 carrier.

34:14 Julie – An ApoE4 homozygote (ApoE4/4) might need even more plasmalogen?

34:19 Dr G – Exactly"

As an ApoE3/4, I've taken 1 ml Prodrome Neuro for nearly two years (as has my 4/4 wife). When we tested after 18 or 19 months, Dr. Goodenowe's interpretation is we've mitigated our ApoE4 risk with our plasmalogen levels.
Tincup
E3,E4
Jlhughette
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jlhughette »

Thank you , Tincup, for correcting me. I had, in fact, listened carefully to the podcast, twice, but my scientific knowledge and ability to speak or write precisely is poor. I try extra hard but … alas! For me, it’s hard.

After spending 10 years with limited success keeping family members with AD and Lewy Body on the protocol, I am starting to work extra hard on myself. I’m asking about plasmalogens hoping to hear anecdotal stories about Prodrome Neural and if those taking it feel improvement of any kind, separate from, or in addition to all the other supplements and lifestyle optimizations.

Thanks everyone.
Hughette
3/4
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Jlhughette wrote: I’m asking about plasmalogens hoping to hear anecdotal stories about Prodrome Neural and if those taking it feel improvement of any kind, separate from, or in addition to all the other supplements and lifestyle optimizations.
In our case, we were pretty well optimized prior to starting Prodrome Neuro. The data in Dr. Goodenowe's studies are what drive my interest. These are summarized in his book and this graph kind of says it all - observe that a 95 year old person in the 95th percentile of plasmalogens (regardless of ApoE status) has the same probability of dying in the next 5 years as a 65 year old person in the 5th percentile of plasmalogens:
Screen Shot 2021-09-28 at 12.51.45 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tincup
E3,E4