Aducanumab-FDA approval

Wersp4897
New User
New User

Aducanumab-FDA approval

Post by Wersp4897 »

Curious about how others feel about this new approval-the first new medication for Alzheimer’s disease in nearly two decades.
Fc1345linville
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Aducanumab-FDA approval

Post by Fc1345linville »

Probably a great day if you own Biogen stock (up 40% a while ago), but it is to early too tell what it will do for patients.

Fc
Fc1345linville
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Fc1345linville »

At least the FDA approval was apparently conditional, requiring follow up clinical studies to demonstrate that it's working. Or not. Biogen will make billions, Medicare picks up most of the tab, and all of us end up paying for it as tax payers. Let's hope that it actually works.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/08/busi ... -cost.html

Fc
Nords
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Nords »

Fc1345linville wrote:Probably a great day if you own Biogen stock (up 40% a while ago), but it is to early too tell what it will do for patients.
Fc
The capital gains would all go to paying for the treatments and the cost of checking for side effects.
Author of "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement". Royalties go to military charities.
Co-author (with my daughter): "Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation FI."
To contact me, please send a PM.
Fc1345linville
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Fc1345linville »

"The capital gains would all go to paying for the treatments and the cost of checking for side effects."

Please excuse my failure to use Forum standard quotation protocols...

Nords, do you really believe that the Biogen corporate capital gains will be used for patient treatments? :shock: My guess is that the first thing Biogen corporate management will do (has done?) is cash in on their stock options that have been under water. Then every Neurologist in the US will probably be contacted by the Biogen drug salesperson to promote their new drug covered by Medicare. Then all of us seniors already on Medicare will probably see hefty tax increases taken out of our monthly Social Security payments to cover Medicare's new expenses. Unless, of course, the current laws are changed by our paralyzed and deadlocked Congress.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Fc1345linville wrote:"The capital gains would all go to paying for the treatments and the cost of checking for side effects."

Nords, do you really believe that the Biogen corporate capital gains will be used for patient treatments?
I can’t speak for Nords, but I read his comment as meaning that the individual capital gains realized by investors will end up going into paying for their own treatment and the MRI’s needed to monitor for side effects. But maybe I am just reading it through my lens of cynicism through which the thought that Biogen will be using its corporate gains for the public good is unthinkable.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Nords
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Nords »

Fc1345linville wrote:"The capital gains would all go to paying for the treatments and the cost of checking for side effects."

Nords, do you really believe that the Biogen corporate capital gains will be used for patient treatments?
It’s a joking response to your “great day” remark, speculating that retail investors who might happen to own Biogen stock would have to use their capital gains to pay for their medical treatments. I know a bunch of people who invest in healthcare stock index funds to help offset their cost of health insurance.

My comment was intended to amuse, not offend, and I apologize if it was taken differently.
Author of "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement". Royalties go to military charities.
Co-author (with my daughter): "Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation FI."
To contact me, please send a PM.
Fc1345linville
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Fc1345linville »

With Medicare and Medicaid footing the Bill for Aduhelm, both Federal programs, and the States, face financial disaster for a drug that shows no evidence of even working.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... re/619169/
ChristinaA
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ChristinaA »

My belief is that Alzheimer's is not a one root cause problem and will not be fixed by one magic pill. Until mainstream realizes this they will continue to fail with pharmaceuticals. Many scientists and doctors are upset that the FDA approved this without proper testing, this is crazy. Stay strong APoe4's this is a multifaceted dis-ease, there no one size fits all. One of the questions I ask myself is that if AB formation is a possible "protective" formation due to other underlying assaults, what does the removal of such a thing without getting to the root do to the brain in the future???

If the point of this new drug is to eliminate or reduce AB plaque (from my understanding) I think people should start looking into fasting protocols that involve autophagy which has been shown and proven to help remove AB plaque build up

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24095740/
Last edited by ChristinaA on Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knowledge is power!
ApropoE4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ApropoE4 »

Fc1345linville wrote:With Medicare and Medicaid footing the Bill for Aduhelm, both Federal programs, and the States, face financial disaster for a drug that shows no evidence of even working.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... re/619169/
It's up to the federal government and the stateד to figure out the finances. The FDA is basing its approval on the reasonably high likelihood that the (mediocre, for sure) benefits will outweigh the risks and has no interest in cost. Understandably it's disappointing that money will be wasted on a drug that seemingly offers a slight reduction in the rate of decline, but this is no different from some cancer drugs that offer to increase life expectancy by months and are as expensive.