Impressive results using EVOO in AD mice

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Impressive results using EVOO in AD mice

Post by Julie G »

Understanding that dietary fat typically induces inflammation in mice, I found this study to be particularly remarkable. AD Mice fed chow enriched with EVOO showed behavior/cogntive improvements, an upregulation of synaptic integrity, and a significant reduction in both abeta and tau. Apparently, the type of fat matters.

Check out the press release: Extra-Virgin Olive Oil Helps Preserve Memory and Protect Against Alzheimer’s Disease, Study Finds.

Extra-virgin olive oil ameliorates cognition and neuropathology of the 3xTg mice: role of autophagy
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 1/abstract
Abstract
Objective
Consumption of extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), a major component of the Mediterranean diet, has been associated with reduced incidence of Alzheimer's disease (AD). However, the mechanisms involved in this protective action remain to be fully elucidated.
Methods
Herein, we investigated the effect of daily consumption of EVOO on the AD-like phenotype of a mouse mode of the disease with plaques and tangles.
Results
Triple transgenic mice (3xTg) received either regular chow or a chow diet supplemented with EVOO starting at 6 months of age for 6 months, then assessed for the effect of the diet on the AD-like neuropathology and behavioral changes. Compared with controls, mice receiving the EVOO-rich diet had an amelioration of their behavioral deficits, and a significant increase in the steady state levels of synaptophysin, a protein marker of synaptic integrity. In addition, they had a significant reduction in insoluble Aβ peptide levels and deposition, lower amount of phosphorylated tau protein at specific epitopes, which were secondary to an activation of cell autophagy.
Interpretation
Taken together, our findings support a beneficial effect of EVOO consumption on all major features of the AD phenotype (behavioral deficits, synaptic pathology, Aβ and tau neuropathology), and demonstrate that autophagy activation is the mechanism underlying these biological actions.
Sandy57
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Impressive results using EVOO in AD mice

Post by Sandy57 »

Julie I find this intriguing as well. Had a nice reply for you and get booted off the internet and lost it. To tired right now, but I have been researching this for about a month and going to add more EVOO than we use now. I will replace most, (not all by any means) of Sandy's coconut oil. Not based on the latest study that labels coconut oil as the devil; but on work I have been doing with the Mediterranean diets that I am studying. Gundry is crazy for EVOO and possibly for a good reason.

Just food for thought. I hinted at this in a long post last week. The Italians and all the other predominantly Mediterranean eating populations are getting away with eating more starchy carbs, gluten, wheat , and fruit than most { not all } of us are eating. They have less heart disease, less AD, and less diabetes. WHY? Lifestyle is obvious and the most important. But they eat a lot of EVOO, and use it any time of the day. Is that why, they can eat a lot of the foods we are eliminating? Rabbit hole digging on this one, there is a carrot somewhere, got to find it.

Frank
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Impressive results using EVOO in AD mice

Post by Julie G »

Yeah, I'm actually finding the whole recent uproar around coconut oil humorous. NO ONE is discussing the role it can play in addressing reduced cerebral glucose uptake. Instead, it's described as a "fad." When I was insulin resistant and metabolically broken, I was unable to get into ketosis. That was terrifying. I wish I knew about the benefits of coconut oil then.

That said, I'm healthy enough to be able to get into ketosis now with lifestyle strategies (fasting/exercise) and other fats (like high polyphenol EVOO) that yield a better advanced lipid profile for me...if that matters. There's lots of freedom in acknowledging what we don't know and safely mitigating risk factors when we can. FWIW, I suspect that SFA is going to end up being a benign player. My guess is that the milieu in which it's consumed is going to be what determines it's healthfulness.