Respiratory Trainers for Blood Pressure Reduction

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Respiratory Trainers for Blood Pressure Reduction

Post by NewRon »

Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Respiratory Trainers for Blood Pressure Reduction

Post by floramaria »

Hi NewRon, I have no experience with these but just read the first article on IMST. It is very interesting. I’ll read the other articles soon. For me the information is impressive enough that I thought I’d like to try it. Looks like the third article has a review of the available devices. My only concern is that I have always had low blood pressure. The article highlights the lowering of BP and does not mention what the effect is on those with already lower than normal BP. (I wouldn’t want to pass out!)

Have you tried it?
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

floramaria wrote:
NewRon wrote:
My only concern is that I have always had low blood pressure. The article highlights the lowering of BP and does not mention what the effect is on those with already lower than normal BP. (I wouldn’t want to pass out!)
My recollection, when I read the actual study some months ago is the absolute drop was rather small. I play with breathing, so was intrigued, but when I saw the small effect size, I wasn't motivated to try it.

There are other breathing techniques with known BP effects, that don't require equipment. I don't think they would lower anything to levels below normal.
Tincup
E3,E4
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

No, I haven't tried it but I think I will. I know Tincup says the reduction may be small, but it's new gadget to play with, for God's sake ;)
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
Family Tree Guy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Family Tree Guy »

NewRon wrote:No, I haven't tried it but I think I will. I know Tincup says the reduction may be small, but it's new gadget to play with, for God's sake ;)
I have a powerbreathe trainer (https://www.powerbreathe.com/) they are pretty cheap. I have been using the protocol described in the paper for about 3 months. I have gotten much stronger on the device (you can just turn a dial to make it harder). I don't know if it has impacted my blood pressure. It is a fun kind of challenge.
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

Why did you buy it, if not for blood pressure reduction? I'm curious!
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
Family Tree Guy
Contributor
Contributor

NewRon wrote:Why did you buy it, if not for blood pressure reduction? I'm curious!
Oh, I did buy it / start using it for the blood pressure reduction highlighted in that publication. It's just that I don't have any type of home blood pressure measuring device. The powerbreathe was only about $60. Over the past 5-10 years, whenever I get my blood pressure checked, sometimes it reads out fine, but some of the time that top number comes in a little high. so 125 / 75, or something like that. The paper suggested strengthening the breathing muscles could lower that top number, I thought I would give it a try. Next month my workplace has the annual health fair / flu shot / blood test thing, and I always do that. So I can report back to see if there is any change in my BP.

Also, just for clarification- I also love buying new exercise type devices and trying them out. And I have never before used anything like this to strengthen the inspiratory muscles. Weird sensation to have trouble breathing in, but satisfying over the past ~3 months to see my progress. I also like to tracking my workouts and see how things might improve.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Family Tree Guy wrote:Next month my workplace has the annual health fair / flu shot / blood test thing, and I always do that. So I can report back to see if there is any change in my BP.
Yes, please do report back and let us know.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

With paying out $60 for the Power Breathe, why not pay another $20-30 for a simple BP device? Everyone should have one...as well as a blood glucose machine, I think!
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
Family Tree Guy
Contributor
Contributor

floramaria wrote:
Family Tree Guy wrote:Next month my workplace has the annual health fair / flu shot / blood test thing, and I always do that. So I can report back to see if there is any change in my BP.
Yes, please do report back and let us know.
Will do! check back in 2-3 weeks