Hormone Replacement Therapy E4 Women

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Hormone Replacement Therapy E4 Women

Post by KatieS »

Lilly, isn't that the same blog link I posted? Just shows how little information and studies are being conducted. We need to watch for the MS and estriol study as I suspect that this weaker estrogen might have better brain benefits. You're lucky that you have a physician who is so knowledgeable and supportive, all decreasing that worrisome anxiety.
rep
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rep »

LillyBritches - Do you know if your mom has an apoe4 gene? Also, can you summarize exactly wht your HRT consists of, all in one post? Thank you.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Ok girls. Reporting back.
Been on BHRT exactly 15 days.
I AM SLEEPING THROUGH THE NIGHT!!! 8 HOURS!!!
This morning I actually felt awake. Wasn't worried about killing myself in a car accident because I was so tired. (Actually had a big accident a few weeks ago from utter exhaustion)

Sleep started improving about day 7. By day 10 only one waking and last night slept through. First time in 6 months.
Other changes: put on a kilo. Meh. Its prolly water. Bit more hungry in the beginning but thats gone now. Possibly a bit emotional but not hugely.

Its possible the progesterone dose is a bit high at 200mg cos I'm quite sleepy at night. I'll talk to the lady at our followup.

Happy dance.

Rep: if Lilly is homozygous (which she is) then her mom has to have at least one e4 allele.
LillyBritches
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LillyBritches »

Kit, my dear, it very well could be the same link. Honestly? I didn't read. lol And thanks re Dr. Trutt. Yeah, he's great...I might have mentioned that I perpetually do my due diligence on medical providers for my loved ones, but haven't been so exacting for myself. Since learning my e4 status, however, I am very committed to engaging the best for me.

I don't think we can afford to muck around with run-of-the-mill, ya know?

rep - yep - as Stavia says, my mom has a 4. One 4. She's 3/4. I've no idea what my dad was; he died relatively early at 52 from either a massive, sudden heart attack or a pulmonary embolism (difficult to discern between the two - I believe they present the same). No autopsy was done. Oh, and yep, Stavia's right again. I'm 4/4. So dad had to have at least one 4. I sure would love to know what he was...but perhaps it's better I don't. If I discovered that he was 2/4 I'd be cursing the heavens that I didn't get that 2.

I'm already peeved enough I didn't get my mom's 3. :( And can you imagine if dad had a 3? or a 2? I wouldn't be here had I hit the biochemical jackpot. Okay, it's too late/early to get this miffed.

Stavia, that is GREAT! :D Toldja so! :D Progesterone, baby. And, yeah. 200 mg might be a tad too much for you if you have daytime sleepiness. Trutt is always asking me if my 225 (he increased it from 200 t 225 to help counter the breakthrough bleeding I was having when my estradiol level was 108 (since reduced the estradiol dose - can you say Auntie came to visit for a MONTH?) is too much/on target. So far, 225 has been much like Baby Bear's porridge - just right. :)

You should tell your doctor most definitely...she'll adjust your dose. :) However, you might have to have your progesterone compounded like I do. 225 isn't a normal dose. And she might want to reduce your dose only a tad, say, from 200 to 180. Ya know?

And, honey - just like we talked about - it's water. It'll all balance out...you must trust me on this. Same thing happened to me, and poof. Gonzo. Notwithstanding the foregoing, you can still have slight water weight/normal weight fluctuations that will wax and wane, much like you'd have while you were still having regular menses. But I've found those to be sporadic and infrequent and not worth fretting over.

I am just tinkled pink that you're sleeping. Wonder hormone. Yes ma'am. (((Stavia))) :D
I'm just a oily slick in a windup world with a nervous tick.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Thanks Lilly - slept 9.30pm to 6.30am last night. Wow. Sleep debt.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Sleep is good! Glad this is working for you Stavia!
sarahb12
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by sarahb12 »

A couple of thoughts. About the Estriol vs Estradiol, one might consider the COMT variant because the MET version has a harder time breaking down the other estrogens into Estriol.

The other thing is TA-65. There is some evidence that the actual astragalus root is better anyway (and way less expensive - but not patentable).

S
E3/E4
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Sarah, On the Met (A & T) which (or all) COMT (rs4680, rs4633 and/or rs769224) as to breaking down the estrogens?
sarahb12
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by sarahb12 »

I'm not sure about the other 2 snps, but the one I've followed is: rs4680(A) = Worrier which is Met. It is also referred to as Val158Met. It has a lot of interesting psychological and physical implications. Supposedly having adequate iodine (which there are theories that most people are short) can help with the breakdown of it. I've had health issues correlated to not breaking down of estrogen (endometriosis).
E3/E4
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

New study I can't get. Probably doesn't take a close look at us though?

"Further Evidence that Hormone Therapy Is Safe Soon After Menopause"

Andrew M. Kaunitz, MD Reviewing Tuomikoski P et al., Obstet Gynecol 2014 Nov 124:947

Finnish national analysis underscores the safety of HT in younger menopausal women.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.