From Dr. Bronwyn Copeland

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

From Dr. Bronwyn Copeland

Post by Julie G »

Dr. Bonwyn Copeland is a geriatric psychiatrist based in Tauranga NZ. She did her medicine training at the University of Cape Town and graduated in 2001, then specialized in psychiatry with a further subspecialty in geriatric psychiatry in Christchurch New Zealand. She is a fellow of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists. She has been been practicing as a consultant since 2009. Dr. Copeland has a young family - two delightful girls age 4 and 6 , a wonderful husband and a quirky cat. Due to family commitments, she works three days a week. More than 50% of my work is dementia related. I run our memory service together with one of our nurses and our psychologists. Here I see mainly MCI or early AD and some of the rarer dementia variants.

Unfortunately, we just missed meeting Dr. Copeland at The Buck. She was accidentally given the wrong time for the assembly; however, she did get to spend one-on-one time with Dr. Bredesen following the talk. Dr. Copeland hopes to begin implementing the MEND therapy in New Zealand with her patients.

Welcome, Dr. Copeland! Please feel free to pose specific questions for her here.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: From Dr. Bronwyn Copeland

Post by Stavia »

Dr Bronwyn, welcome to our forum! We look forward to much discussion with you.
I was wondering what you felt about the impact of mood on AD - both as a risk factor for development of AD and in established AD. How significant do you feel this aspect is?
What do you feel about SSRIs? Do you think they are neutral as a risk factor? Are they less harmful than the mood disorder itself?