From Dr. Dale Bredesen

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
LillyBritches
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Alzheimer's disease consists of 3 distinct subtypes

Post by LillyBritches »

Juliegee wrote:I see myself as a combo of the first two- SCARY
Julie - why on God's green earth would you even begin to think that about yourself?

1. You've never had any pro-inflammatory markers, have you? Hasn't your CRP et al always been stellar?
2. What possible abnormal metabolic processes could you have coursing through your veins? Okay, okay. Maybe - just maybe - if you buy into the whole insulin-resistance-is-the-reason-ApoE4-women-have-hot-flashes/flushes/whatever perimenopause theory. PerHAPS. Barring that, hasn't your A1C always been excellent, too? I know you deem that your morning fasting glucose has been too high in the past...but it really wasn't by medical standards. I mean, do you really think you were on a diabetic, or even pre-diabetic path? And are there some additional metabolic issues about which you're concerned other than insulin resistance?

I'm querying, because, as I recall, your numbers have always been enviable. I'm not just saying that, either. Please school me if need be. :)
I'm just a oily slick in a windup world with a nervous tick.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: From Dr. Dale Bredesen

Post by Julie G »

Not NOW....but there was a time I was very inflamed with mast cell activation and widespread inexplicable pain (Type1) AND I had symptoms of insulin resistance (Type 2.) Coincidentally, my cognition was much worse then. I would love to have had the labs you're asking about from that time period. Yes, I think I was on a pre-diabetic path. My FBG was 100, I had belly fat, and severe reactive hypoglycemia, blood pressure creeping up. I was in a vicious cycle, very sick with MCA, unable to exercise, needing massive amounts of antihistamines- anticholinergics! This lead me to gain weight and brought on the IR. Not pretty.

Looking back, a pivotal part of my healing was deciding to join a "boot camp" style exercise class. I was pretty sick at the time with episodic anaphylaxis. I gave my instructor my epi-pen with instructions on how to stick me and I threw all caution to the wind. I began working out REALLY hard 3-4 times a week. I was running a 7 minute mile in my late 40s-early 50s.

Since I've known you (post-boot camp) I've been working on it and turning thing around. You're right, all biomarkers are good because I'm actively tracking and tweaking them.

As I brag about my amazing health, I'm off to the hospital for a call-back on my mammogram. :shock: Gulp.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Interesting about your boot camp style turning point. At least a couple of us have wondered what your turnaround secret was. I've thought it must be the mild keto, but maybe it was the uber exercise stress, or the two together. I have to think long about the boot camp approach. So many physical vulnerabilities, but you say it worked, or didn't prevent recovery! Hmmmm ...

(((((GEE))))) Good luck at the follow up. Hoping for a false alarm like I had once. Scary :/(
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

I'll spill secrets for you anytime, Circ. ;) Yes, in retrospect the bootcamp kickstarted my improvement, but alone, was not the answer. It was a combination of many things. Lets move the conversation here viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1649&p=18591#p18591 and include other folk's stories of healing. Thanks for the good wishes, Honey. It was just a few cysts- phew.
kayell
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Alzheimer's disease consists of 3 distinct subtypes

Post by kayell »

Stavia wrote:Agreed Harrison. Much too little data to be anything but interesting at this stage. And I'm doing exactly the same - picking the interventions that are likely to be generally beneficial and unlikely to harm.
Stavia, would you mind sharing which interventions (aside from those in your very useful intro) you place in that group? (please forgive me if I've missed that somewhere. I'm assuming that your personal interventions may not be exactly the same as those in the newbie intro) I'm leery of supplements in particular and currently only taking D3 and melatonin daily and a multi and curcumin (random days).

Added: The only one of these I feel very confident about is the D. The melatonin is extremely helpful for sleep, but otherwise?
E4/E4
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Of course honey.
I personally apply the following
1. Keep my weight reasonable. Im 5foot 4 and try keep my weight around 64 kg.
2. 8 hrs sleep. I naturally sleep this. I tend to be a bit anxious about not being able to fall asleep and take 0.5mg melatonin at night. Prolly placebo lol but I sleep like a baby.
3. Excercise. Not this winter cos of asthma but usually a mixture of treadmill running and weights. 30 mins 3 to 5 days a week
4. I actually dont eat the same every day or track my food any more. I base my meals (2 a day - one at 11.30am and the second at 6pm) on veggies salads fish mainly. Olive oil. Occasional chicken or lamb. Nuts. Berries. Other fruit. A hot milk with cocoa if I cant get to a meal and Im hungry. No wheat cos it makes me wheeze. My protein is around 70 gms a day prolly (thats not grams of fish its the grams of protein) and the fat varies from 30 to 50%. I do cheat occasionally and it would be Chinese dumplings or Thai spring rolls for instance. I will then skip breakfast to compensate. I dont obsess over diet anymore. I swing in and out of mild ketosis (I know cos I've checked) but its not my goal, it just happens and I can go 18 hrs fasting no problem without getting hungry. So Im guessing Im in a metabolic sweet spot.
5. I take the B vits cos my homocysteine was 10 and now its 7. My B12 wasnt great and I was struggling to get my daily folate requirements consistently without obsessing so I thought I may as well as I believe its an innocuous intervention. I do the methylated ones ala Bredesen cos it sounded sensible.
6. I take D3 cos it was low. Im running at 90 atm (just under 40 of the American units). I need 4000IU to achieve this level. I'll prolly need less in summer.
8. I take curcumin cos when I joined the forum 18mnths ago I panicked and bought a large supply from iherb because it has to be shipped here so I bought in bulk. Its nearly finished and I will probably carry on. I think there's enough evidence and a plausible mechanism of action and its not very expensive.
9. I top up my omegas with Ovega if I dont have salmon (abundant in my country) that day. Im targeting 1gm total DHA plus whatever EPA comes with it. It seems to be a good plan cos I did my fatty acid balance in the US a few months ago and it was a great result. Excellent levels.
10. Im on a 50mgm oestradiol patch cos I started waking every hour when I hit menopause last year. My blood level is about 200 Thats around 80 of your units.
11. I take 75 mcg micronised progesterone a day as I have an intact uterus. Im very drowsy in 100mg a day an am hopeing 75 will be safe. Im having 3mnthly scans. I want a Mirena but they can't shove it in without a GA cos I have cervical stenosis and Im terrified of a GA.
kayell
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kayell »

Thanks Stavia. I've been combing the supplement threads (funny how we all feel driven to take them) and this helps me stick with what I have for now. I have a major work up scheduled in October, so will not do anything (supplement wise) until then and even then only with extreme caution. I'll be spending more time trying to dial in the nutrients from food. It's an interesting puzzle with keeping carbs way low and calories low to get all the nutrients right.
E4/E4
marthaNH
Contributor
Contributor

Post by marthaNH »

I found that a big dish of cooked greens -- if you can find some easy-to-cook variety that you like, maybe frozen or pre-washed -- really helps me top off multiple targets. I do that almost every day. And very small servings of liver, but I like liver, and lots of people don't. Good luck.
wbgrant
New User
New User

Post by wbgrant »

"Reversing Alzheimer’s Disease" is a presentation by Dr. Dale Bredesen, MD that took place at Silicon Valley Health Institute on November 17, 2016. Silicon Valley Health Institute Published on Dec 13, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D5aA_-3Ip8&t=2946s