EEG Tech to help AD patients

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
J11
Contributor
Contributor

EEG Tech to help AD patients

Post by J11 »

If this could help our loved we would obviously buy this product right away, though we are a little skeptical with these gadgets as we already have a closet full of them gathering dust. It would be great if we could access a sampler through a research institute and see what it could do for us. This device might allow the communication of basic emotional states, perhaps our loved one might enjoy playing some video games!

https://emotiv.com/epoc.php

( see question concerning application in the disabled.)
https://emotiv.com/faq.php

Q231: Can the headset be used with disabled individuals?
RichardS
Contributor
Contributor

Re: EEG Tech to help AD patients

Post by RichardS »

Having had some clinical and research experience with EEG and neurofeedback and attending a couple conferences where these devices are promoted, I would say don't get too excited. There are definitely great gains being made with EEG directed human-machine interfaces, but I have not seen anything about such a system helping patients with dementia.

It is an essentially unregulated area, so buyer beware. I've seen plenty of people with no formal training in the area running companies selling stuff like this, although I can't comment on the device that was linked. Finally, watch the prices. This is a 14-channel system. I know of a 19-channel system that was being sold for $25,000.
J11
Contributor
Contributor

Post by J11 »

That is the great part of this product it is priced in the $400-$500 range.
It has 14 EEG leads and 2 reference. The technology seems fairly impressive.

I have already bought Neurosky's Mindwave and was impressed with the technology
and the software.

Some of these more expensive units seem to be lacking somewhat on the software side.
It would be so great if this technology could help unlock our loved one who often seems to want to
say something to us. The Epoch site talks of their product offering some benefit to such patients.
Having fun video games or other experiences that our loved one could control would be such a blessing.
For example, our loved one loved to travel. If there would be an application that allowed virtual traveling, this would
almost be like giving back their life.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

RichardS thanks again for sharing your clinical experience!

J11, this may not be independent, but what if you used an iPad and sat with your loved one and traveled using Google Earth? (Assuming there's a Google Earth for iPad, otherwise on the computer. You could do similar with Google Maps but not as good.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
J11
Contributor
Contributor

Post by J11 »

Thanks for the suggestion, circ!

One of our relatives suggested something similar. They suggested showing our loved one pictures from the past to help reconnect.
This seems like a very good idea. Many on the site understand the importance of creating a cognitively complex environment to maintain
optimal brain functioning when healthy. However, for too many dementia patients, cognitive stimulation ends after they have progressed to
the point of total dependence.

There is always the question of resources. In a typical nursing home environment severe dementia patients might largely be ignored. We interact with our loved one throughout the day. However, if an information technology were available, then our loved one would likely be
surfing and connecting constantly. It would be a much richer more fulfilling life.

It would seem to me that developing these EEG and other technologies would be an easy win for locked in AD patients and others. Even after years of being locked in our loved one still appears to have cognitive abilities. I am sure that if I were in such a circumstance that I want to have a technology that would allow me to surf the web, play video games, and communicate at some level. The technology would need to be fairly simple to interface with, though it would have substantial implications for quality of life for these patients. It would give them back years of their lives. And it would also allow them to reclaim a certain amount of control over their lives.

Our loved one is generally considered vegetative, even by the doctors. It would change everything if there were a technology that would our loved one to interact in a virtual world.

An update on the seizures.

The seizures intensified and we were quite worried about them.
The doctor gave us a prescription for Ativan to control Keppra resistant seizures in case of emergency. (This medication is a controlled substance and identification was required to pick it up from the pharmacy.) It turns out that it was not necessary.

Not long after getting receiving the Ativan prescription, it was noticed that simply making our loved one more comfortable would stop the seizures. For example, a pull up or changing the bed pad. Doing this would stop the seizures for almost a whole day! The doctor now believes these "seizures" were not actually "seizures" but more expressions of pain or discomfort.

It was amazing, though how much of a placebo effect the Keppra gave off. Whenever, the Keppra was given seizures seemed to stop immediately. The Keppra must have acted similar to a Pavlovian conditioner.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

J11 so glad to hear the seizures are calming down and a possible cause identified. It has to break your heart to go through this. You are such a champion.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.