$250 exome scan??

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
J11
Contributor
Contributor

Re: $250 exome scan??

Post by J11 »

Hmm, I was sorta wondering about whether beta amyloid could be picked up with these nanopores.
Answer Yes.

Very interesting!
Might even allow for a composite detector treatment application.
J11
Contributor
Contributor

Post by J11 »

Good to keep an eye on the genomics space because this one could be on the far horizon one moment and the next moment
start moving at hyper-light speed.

There is now the capacity to sequence at least half a million genomes per year on the Illumina Hi Seq X Ten alone.

Illumina was considered the smartest company by back in 2014.
Their $1000 genome sequenced on the $10 million dollar HiSeq X Ten platform launched a new era
Now that we are in 2016, their stock price is struggling as an even more disruptive technology is emerging.

Oxford Nanopore's minION and Promethion could be the first wave of truly affordable sequencing.
Hardware for the minion costs $1000, and for the Promethion $100,000.
If they could hit a $100 genome price point, then the human genome would almost immediately will
be unlocked and Pandora's box will be open.

https://core-genomics.blogspot.ca/2016/ ... 2770651949
ApropoE4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ApropoE4 »

Genos Research is now offering 75x coverage exome sequencing for $399

https://genosresearch.com/
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

I just got a notification about Genos Beta from Harvard's PGP. In their email, I read:
Genos is inviting Harvard PGP participants to join as some of its first "Beta" members, with a special offer for $399 exome sequencing for participants that do not yet have their genome sequenced.
But it sounds like there's nothing special about the $399 price that applies to PGP participants and not also to everyone.

Still, a great deal. I think I'm going to do it. Genos also has a compensation arrangement: let researchers use your data, get compensated. So should it be!

I'm going to contact them and ask for more details, though, before signing up.

G

P.S. Sorry for being away. I needed, and still need, time away from thoughts about health. (But this offer seems worth jumping at!) Hope everyone is well.
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ru442 »

Very interesting.... hmmmm.
Male 4/4 56 yrs., "Live, Laugh, Love"
J11
Contributor
Contributor

Post by J11 »

Welcome back, G!
Where have you been?

Wonder whether Genos would throw in a phasing?
BGI bought a 10x toaster.

There is value in knowing the phasing of an exome/genome.
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

J11 wrote:Welcome back, G!
Where have you been?
Hello, my friend!

I'm not really back. Just stopped in briefly because this Genos offer seemed like a critical news item for us.

Where I've been? Recovering from a bunch of difficult experiences. I'll be more seriously back when I'm more recovered. Might be a very long time from now. I've been contributing to health forums of various sorts for over two decades, trying improve my and others' health. Not sure that effort has helped anyone. Occurred to me recently I need a break. Long break. But the break will end at some point, and I'll be back, back here, above all, in this amazing community.

Warm thoughts to all,
G
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Good to hear from you G. Many hugs and healing thoughts for you on your journey.
J11
Contributor
Contributor

Post by J11 »

Awesome!
Oxford Nanopore is moving nanopore sequencing to consumers!

https://nanoporetech.com/about-us/news

This is so great for AD.
More and cheaper sequencing technology will finally allow us to fully unlock the AD genome.
It is almost beyond my comprehension that the RAB10 gene variant that might greatly reduce AD risk amongst
APOE 4 carriers has only recently emerged.

This would have bearing on the dementia risk of over 1 million Americans and it has only been found? This makes zero economic sense. Allowing people to know their true risk of dementia will allow them to make an informed choice of how much much resources to devote to dementia awareness. Having millions of low risk people worrying about dementia does not make economic sense. Investing in larger AD GWAS would be very reasonable.