A new role for ApoE explains its diverse range of effects, particularly in Alzheimer's

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
ApropoE4
Contributor
Contributor

Re: A new role for ApoE explains its diverse range of effects, particularly in Alzheimer's

Post by ApropoE4 »

I thought I remembered that this line of study was explored before:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10087061

Surprising that the results are contradictory.
GenePoole0304
Contributor
Contributor

Re: A new role for ApoE explains its diverse range of effects, particularly in Alzheimer's

Post by GenePoole0304 »

I'd wait until some else at least confirms this idea.

Well the Dracula solution of fresh blood may be appealing to a few vampires that are E4 willing to try that way first.

Someone should compile a list of already possible solutions and there are quite a few here. I like the one of sleeping with the head slightly raised to drain the blood but getting enuf zzzz's is also NB.
You can come across one solution almost everyday. just read a few today and even more if it is just related.

we are all doomed due to genetic drift and heterogeneity. oh it's all part of aging.

my life for when tootsie rolls were treats! if I could go back and change things.
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

Gang, I've got the full text but I'm getting a "file too large" error when I try to upload it here. Email me if you wwant me to send it to you:

I obviously really want my address to be robot-proof :D , thus --

maxest1234 "location": gee, not female but rather ...
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Thanks to G and Teezer (takes a village ;)) I was able to upload the new paper:

Moderator note - I deleted the attached paper (DOI:10.1523/JNEUROSCI.3562-15.2016) because our copyright infringement policy prohibits it. Members in jurisdictions for which access to Sci-Hub is legal may want to search for the paper there.
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lucy5 »

Thanks all for tracking down the full text and posting. Some pretty amazing info (not that I'm going to pretend to understand it all!). I found it a bit sobering to see the broad impact of E4, (not the least of which is the effect on Sirt1). Certainly seems to support Dr Bredesen's views and protocols.

There is so much in the study for researchers to build on. Hoping sooner rather than later..
ApropoE4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ApropoE4 »

E-Scape Bio, the company working on the APOE4 structure corrector, has held 14 meetings at the Gladstone institute in May, some with Mahley, some with the computational drug discovery company (Numerate). This is up from 3-4 meetings a months previously.

Either something is working very well, or very poorly.
ApropoE4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ApropoE4 »

ApropoE4 wrote:E-Scape Bio, the company working on the APOE4 structure corrector, has held 14 meetings at the Gladstone institute in May, some with Mahley, some with the computational drug discovery company (Numerate). This is up from 3-4 meetings a months previously.

This can't be good:
“We are excited to have Anirvan Ghosh join us at Biogen,” said Dr. Ehlers. “After an extensive global search, we have found an inspired leader to guide an exceptional Research and Early Development team. Anirvan is an accomplished neuroscientist and industry R&D leader who has delivered multiple novel drug candidates to the clinic.”

Dr. Ghosh joins Biogen from E-Scape Bio, where he served as chief scientific officer. Prior to heading discovery efforts for Alzheimer’s disease and neurodegenerative disorders at E-Scape Bio, he served as vice president, Global Head of Neuroscience Discovery and Biomarkers at Roche. In this capacity, Dr. Ghosh led research and drug discovery for programs addressing neurodegenerative diseases as well as neurodevelopmental and psychiatric disorders.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: A new role for ApoE explains its diverse range of effects, particularly in Alzheimer's

Post by Stavia »

ApropoE4 wrote:
ApropoE4 wrote:E-Scape Bio, the company working on the APOE4 structure corrector, has held 14 meetings at the Gladstone institute in May, some with Mahley, some with the computational drug discovery company (Numerate). This is up from 3-4 meetings a months previously.

This can't be good:
“We are excited to have Anirvan Ghosh join us at Biogen,” said Dr. Ehlers. “After an extensive global search, we have found an inspired leader to guide an exceptional Research and Early Development team. Anirvan is an accomplished neuroscientist and industry R&D leader who has delivered multiple novel drug candidates to the clinic.”

Dr. Ghosh joins Biogen from E-Scape Bio, where he served as chief scientific officer. Prior to heading discovery efforts for Alzheimer’s disease and neurodegenerative disorders at E-Scape Bio, he served as vice president, Global Head of Neuroscience Discovery and Biomarkers at Roche. In this capacity, Dr. Ghosh led research and drug discovery for programs addressing neurodegenerative diseases as well as neurodevelopmental and psychiatric disorders.

They've lost Ghosh?
Hmmm
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

Thanks for this! Enjoyed the paper. I think I'll need one or two more sets of similar results before buying it 100%. Reading so many studies that don't pan out, I'm wary. But it does make sense that something about ApoE would provide information to cells about the availability of fats, so they can shape their metabolism appropriately.