Herpes and other viruses the root cause?

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Tiramisu1984
Contributor
Contributor

Herpes and other viruses the root cause?

Post by Tiramisu1984 »

Folks, I think this is very, very interesting, particularly the section in which stress can re-awaken the virus in the brain.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science ... perts.html
Tongass
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Herpes and other viruses the root cause?

Post by Tongass »

More than 50% of the world's population has HSV-1. I am E3/E4 and I have HSV-1. An HSV-1 vaccine may not stop all cases of AD, it sure may reduce the total. An HSV-1 vaccine does not yet exist (fingers crossed!)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4128394/
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

I have had herpes zoster (shingles) in the past and still get nerve pain from this. It made me very tired and brain foggy, even since then. I think it happened through stress. as was just after several surgeries etc.

I'm not sure about the herpes-1 though. as have never had a cold sore. If you had that you would have had one i think, not sure?
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

Very interesting indeed!

One of the theories of SEID/CFIDS/ME is that it is triggered, and then maintained, at least in part, via non-dormant/reactivated herpes infections (probably mostly EBV or HHV6, probably not HHV1 or the other herpes viruses). Stress makes SEID worse, and maybe that effect is mediated by a larger viral load (probably in the limbic system, or vagus nerve). SEID produces many symptoms of AD, so for those of us 4s who also have SEID, we have a particularly strong motivation to do what we can to knock down herpes viral loads (meditation, lysine, etc.). I'm not doing too well on that front, but I'm soldiering on.

G
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

I think the viral connection is very real. For whatever reason, every time I get a little virus (like upper respiratory), my cognition takes a significant hit. It's almost like that awakens my other dormant viruses. It's frightening, but resolves with the cold...
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jan »

Welcome, Tongass, to the forum. I commend you for delving into scientific studies, and thank you for posting this article. Definitely interesting, as Gilgamesh says. You seem familiar with the threads, so may have already discovered the site Primer: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1418 It was written by physician member Stavia, and contains a wealth of information about many relevant topics. Should you wish to search fine points on the site more thoroughly, our site search function is at the top right, the three stacked squares.

You've mentioned that you are E3/E4, but we'd be interested to learn a little more about you, if you'd like to share. We have a Forum for introductions - click Board Index (top left), select Our Stories, and New Post.

Thank you again for the article, I can see that you will be a valuable contributor to the site. Again, welcome!
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jan »

Orange, so sorry you've had to deal with shingles, especially that you continue to have to contend with nerve pain flareups. I think herpes zoster (shingles) is caused by the same virus that causes chicken pox, and herpes simplex 1 is different. (Not a medical professional.)
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

Yes they are different, thanks Jan!

Shingles is nasty: here in the UK they do offer a Shingles vaccine but only for over 60s I think. It may be worth getting this to prevent getting it as it can cause ongoing pain issues. and people seem to get it more as they get older. It is from having chickenpox as a child, it kind of stays in the body and can re-emerge as Shingles when someone is stressed and run down.

But yes it seems from the article it's more herpes 1 they are mentioning.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

:cry: I've had shingles 3x, though having had the vaccine after the first episode the next two were quite minor, in the shingles world. Orange I to am sorry you have the subsequent neuralgia. I know how painful it can be :(

There's a new shingles vaccine in the US just approved by the FDA for people 50 and older. I don't know if it's available in the UK yet. I plan to get it even though I had the first vaccine at age 50.

I'm confused about this statement in the Guardian article in the OP:
They also point to the fact that a gene mutation - APOEe4 - which makes one in five people more susceptible to Alzheimer’s disease, also raises their susceptibility to infectious disease.
So I though ApoE4 helped us combat infectious disease. Why would it also make use more susceptible to it? I can see it is inflammatory and we might have a more inflammatory (even more sucessful) reaction against infection, but do we also have raised susceptibility?
I definitely seem to have susceptibility to infection in my history, but I wasn't really sure why, especially since I do have one copy of E4. :?
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

Hi yes I saw a poster at the GPs, (UK) it is offered routinely here, but think to the over 60s, or 70s? but they definitely offer it. Mine came back again, too, Circular, but less bad that time and the GP thinks now it shouldn;t happen again (hopefully) I got the antivirals more quickly that time. Grim isn't it.

Yes I'm also confused about that and that they call it 'infectious disease' as I thought these are viral not bacterial infections :?