Zilkha Symposium on AD

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Silverlining
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Zilkha Symposium on AD

Post by Silverlining »

No worries Richard, you didn't freak me out, my genetics freak me out! Cumulatively, I feel I was the recipient of every bad snp my parents had to give :). My screen name is true, I always look for the silverlining and though my perspective will sometimes narrow into a thin, dark tunnel, it's not long before I'm back in the sunshine with my arms thrown wide, head up, deep breathing fresh air with eager eyes taking in all that this great big beautiful blue orb we call home has to offer. All is well :) Appreciate the notes you've shared!
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

I was going over some old posts yesterday and came across one of mine (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1106&hilit=Antidepressants&start=30). The study cited is with rats in which the cause of altered cerebral blood flow was heat stress, thus it may have no bearing whatsoever when cerebral blood flow is due to tau, but just to log for the record here. Suppose tau and histamine could be linked via an immune response to tau? ...
Blockade of histamine H2 receptors attenuate blood-brain barrier permeability, cerebral blood flow disturbances, edema formation and cell reactions following hyperthermic brain injury in the rat.

"Abstract
Role of histamine H2 receptors in blood-brain barrier (BBB) disturbances, cerebral blood flow (CBF), brain edema formation, and cell injury caused by heat stress in a rat model was examined using the pharmacological approach. Blockade of histamine H2 receptors by cimetidine or ranitidine significantly attenuated the BBB permeability to Evans blue albumin and [131]I-sodium extravasation, brain edema formation and cell injury following 4 h heat stress in rats at 38 degrees C. These drug treatments also restored the CBF to near normal values. These beneficial effects in heat stress were most marked in rats treated with ranitidine compared to cimetidine given in identical dosage. Our observations suggest that blockade of histamine H2 receptor is beneficial in hyperthermic brain injury and indicates that histamine is involved in the pathophysiology of heat stress induced brain dysfunction. Our study strongly suggests further need to develop more specific and sensitive histaminergic H2 receptor blockers for the treatment of neurological ailments." http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1145 ... $=activity
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
J11
Contributor
Contributor

Post by J11 »

Hey RichardS, did you hit the buffet when they did the talk on human oligomers?
This one seems to have been the big sleeper story from the conference that is only now showing up.

It seems quite exciting!
Up till this point they really were not sure what human amyloid were.
How could you make progress without knowing?

http://www.alzforum.org/news/research-n ... uman-brain