Ethics for testing healthy people for research

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Re: Ethics for testing healthy people for research

Post by MarcR »

Looking at "real CVD events" still doesn't capture any potential harm from treatments used to reduce those events. For example, base jumping is an excellent way to prevent CVD events; unfortunately, the "cure" - death by accident - is not exactly what anyone has in mind. :-)

In my opinion, the best overall outcome metric is all cause mortality. It does the best job of balancing treatment benefits with side effects.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Ethics for testing healthy people for research

Post by Julie G »

Looking at "real CVD events" still doesn't capture any potential harm from treatments used to reduce those events. For example, base jumping is an excellent way to prevent CVD events; unfortunately, the "cure" - death by accident - is not exactly what anyone has in mind.
Interesting analogy. Let me guess, the treatment used to prevent those deaths is… a LFHC diet? How about something in-between like a HFLC (low SFA) diet that doesn’t raise LDL-P... or base jumping with a parachute ;) .
In my opinion, the best overall outcome metric is all cause mortality. It does the best job of balancing treatment benefits with side effects.
Perhaps, but I wonder about quality of life post-MI…