Frequent saunas appear protective from AD

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
marty
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Frequent saunas appear protective from AD

Post by marty »

Partaking regularly in the relaxing practice of sauna bathing is associated with a decreased risk for dementia and Alzheimer's disease (AD) — at least in men, new research suggests.

Further results from the Kuopio Ischemic Heart Disease (KIHD) study, which included more than 2300 middle-aged men in Finland who were deemed healthy at baseline, showed that those whose sauna use averaged 4 to 7 times per week were 66% less likely to develop dementia at 20-year follow-up than men who used a sauna once a week. In addition, they had a 65% risk reduction for AD.

The report "provides promising results from the first prospective study that shows sauna bathing to be a potential protective lifestyle factor for common memory diseases," write the investigators, adding that the practice "may be a recommendable intervention" to prevent the condition in healthy adults.

However, they note that more studies are needed in different patient populations, including women.

Still, senior author Jari Antero Laukkanen, MD, PhD, professor at the University of Eastern Finland, Kuopio, told Medscape Medical News that he was pleased with the results.

"This study was surprising because the findings were so strong," said Dr Laukkanen. "People have positive feelings about sauna bathing," which may help in part to explain the associations found, he added.

The results were published online December 7 in Age and Ageing.

http://ageing.oxfordjournals.org/conten ... 2.abstract

Overall, the findings show "a strong inverse association between frequency of sauna bathing and the risk of dementia and [AD], which was independent of known risk factors," write the investigators.

They note that recent evidence has suggested that inflammation and oxidative stress may contribute to the pathogenesis of dementia.

"Our results are therefore biologically plausible as regular sauna bathing is associated with improved vascular endothelial function, which also leads to reduced inflammation," the researchers write.

"Additionally, sauna bathing may be beneficial in the reduction of high systemic blood pressure and elevated pulse pressure, which are also well-known risk factors for dementia."
LG1
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Frequent saunas appear protective from AD

Post by LG1 »

Hi Marty, great info on sauna use. Something I think we should all consider. You probably know her work but just in case someone else doesn't, Dr. Rhonda Patrick of foundmyfitness.com has written several papers on sauna use as well as cryotherapy I find fascinating.

Do you have any idea if they mean dry sauna or a steam room? I wonder if hot tub use or a hot bath would be an acceptable substitute?
ε4/ε4
ERK
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ERK »

LG1 wrote:Hi Marty, great info on sauna use. Something I think we should all consider. You probably know her work but just in case someone else doesn't, Dr. Rhonda Patrick of foundmyfitness.com has written several papers on sauna use as well as cryotherapy I find fascinating.

Do you have any idea if they mean dry sauna or a steam room? I wonder if hot tub use or a hot bath would be an acceptable substitute?
A hot tub or bath is not the same as sweating out toxins, although you can add agents to bath to help the body detoxify (clay, epsom salts, baking soda ).

http://www.drwhitaker.com/health-benefits-of-a-sauna/
marty
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by marty »

The authors call it a sauna bath. I assume it's steam but don't know.

I'd interpret this with caution as far as concluding that saunas prevent or delay AD. Rather, I'd say that those who frequently have saunas seem protected. The difference is important. We don't know causation.

I don't take 4-7 saunas a week. I don't take 4-7 saunas a year. If I did do such a thing, it would indicate that my life is much more relaxed with ample discretionary time for self-indulgence, allowing for such luxuries. So perhaps those who choose to and can take regular saunas are more socially connected with loved ones and under less stress. And maybe it's the social engagement and sense of peace, not the sauna per se, that is protective.

On the other hand, maybe it's just the sauna.
marty
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by marty »

A hot tub or bath is not the same as sweating out toxins, although you can add agents to bath to help the body detoxify (clay, epsom salts, baking soda ).

http://www.drwhitaker.com/health-benefits-of-a-sauna/[/quote]

Not sure what you mean by sweating out toxins. The above reference cites the success of the New York Rescue Workers Detoxification Project. That is hardly persuasive. The project's cofounder was Tom Cruise and used Scientology approaches.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_ ... on_Project
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Ha! Marty I love your analysis ;)
LG1
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by LG1 »

ERK:
A hot tub or bath is not the same as sweating
Well, it seems to have more to do with the temperature rather than the sweating but I should revisit the info since it has been quite some time....
ε4/ε4
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lucy5 »

Correlation vs causation...always something to keep in mind. But when I read about a lifestyle behavior that appears to at least correlate with a positive outcome, I say "why not" if it's at worst harmless and esp enjoyable. Thx for yet another great post, Marty.
LG1
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by LG1 »

marty wrote:The authors call it a sauna bath. I assume it's steam but don't know.

I'd interpret this with caution as far as concluding that saunas prevent or delay AD. Rather, I'd say that those who frequently have saunas seem protected. The difference is important. We don't know causation.

I don't take 4-7 saunas a week. I don't take 4-7 saunas a year. If I did do such a thing, it would indicate that my life is much more relaxed with ample discretionary time for self-indulgence, allowing for such luxuries. So perhaps those who choose to and can take regular saunas are more socially connected with loved ones and under less stress. And maybe it's the social engagement and sense of peace, not the sauna per se, that is protective.

On the other hand, maybe it's just the sauna.
Well said. I have access to a 'dry' sauna and a steam room at my gym but never use it. My gosh, this is getting ridiculous... health optimization may take us all day! Who has time for work what with meditation plus customizing, shopping for and preparing a whole foods meal sometimes 3 x daily, frequent cardio and resistance exercise, complex list of supplements to take, lab work-scans etc., cramming our brains with light reading on topics such as Lp-PLA2 and atherosclerosis, and now saunas!
ε4/ε4
ERK
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ERK »

This goes a little more into Hubbard and the sauna- as I like to say don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

http://lifestylelaboratory.com/articles ... s-pt1.html