New podcast from Dr. Greger: Preventing Alzheimer's

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
MAC
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: New podcast from Dr. Greger: Preventing Alzheimer's

Post by MAC »

Yes, this could easily be a doable option.

I am overweighted on aerobic as I'm currently mainly focused on improving overall systemic metabolic health , especially vascular health, and more rapidly improve BMI/body fat markers. I am sure I will tilt back and/or add resistance exercise to address the muscle mass issue. I don't think I've lost much so far.

In parallel, also trying to make daily running a lifelong habit, so there's a bit of psychological engraining objective as well. In the past, my schedule would often give me an excuse out to miss exercise. Now it's the opposite. I will alter my schedule to make sure I get in my daily exercise. It's all motivation/mindset.
MAC
E3/E4-59/MALE
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Sorry Mac, wasnt specific enough. George's plant protein adds up - George, probably equal to the animal protein in total? I think I remember you having about 40 grams total protein which I thought was a bit low but you havent lost any muscle mass?
Mac, I'm more aimed at under 1gm/kg - about 0.8gm/kg total. I haven't lost any muscle mass either. Dunno if the 12 grams less makes a difference.
MAC
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by MAC »

Duly noted. Not been weighing food/calories at all on LCHF, but I'd have to say I've probably been a bit over on the total protein of 1g/kg/day threshold. I've wanted to dial down the animal part, increase plant part...this, and the ever evolving bits and pieces knowledge base, may be an impetus to do.
MAC
E3/E4-59/MALE
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

MAC, I've been tweaking the homocysteine equation for some time.

In 2104, my Hcy=8, and I was taking Xymogen Methyl Protect (2000 mcg methylfolates, 1000 mcg methyl B12, 10 mg B6, 25 mg Riboflavin, 500 mg TMG). I used a 4 day diet rotation: fish, poultry, red meat, vegetarian, with the meat at 2 meals per day, lots of vegetables, some fruit, occasional rice or buckwheat. Not large amounts of meat, maybe 6-8 oz per day.

Unfortunately, I felt I was getting brain buzz on that amount of Bs, and my 2015 labs showed folate really high, so I dropped to: 800 mcg methylfolates, 1000 mcg methyl B12, 10 mg B6, 25 mg Riboflavin and completely dropped the TMG because the version I was taking caused some stomach upset. I was still a little brain buzzy, so eventually dropped folate to 400 and B12 to 500.

Then my 2015 lab showed Hcy=10.4. Not so good. Upped TMG (Life Extension brand) to 1g/day, left the Bs steady state and my last 2016 lab showed 6.1. Yay! But got major brain effects from that much TMG and it was sometimes hard on my stomach, even in divided doses.

Because I don’t want to increase folate, I decided to mix diet changes to reduce methionine with 500mg TMG. I’m now on a 4 day rotation that looks like vegetarian, fish (3-4oz per day), vegetarian, poultry (3-4oz per day), with lots of vegetables, greens, some fruit, healthy fats (avocado, EVOO, some nuts & seeds), occasional rice or buckwheat. I tracked in Cronometer and it runs about 50-55% fat. I try to keep protein to about 20%. (Don’t ask me if I’m producing ketones, I don’t measure them. I currently weigh about 117 lbs at 5'6")

Physically, I feel good at those ratios, and mentally I feel better with lower Bs and TMG. But I will be getting labs soon, so I’ll let you know if I can control at least part of high homocysteine equation with diet. Guessing I will always need some TMG to fix my broken methylation cycle.

If I can keep Hcy low by reducing protein/methionine, great. If I’m close, I don't want to reduce protein any lower, so I might push the B6 a little more to flush it out of the methylation cycle to spare me the effects of extra SAM-e. Otherwise I’ll be trying to figure out how to manage the TMG side effects.

Adding TMG, Bs, etc show rapid effect on Hcy levels. I seem to recall one study with TMG that showed drops within 3 days. Diet change would maybe have the same quick effect? Just sayin', because if you have access to a walk-in lab, you could change things and retest weekly to fine tune.
MAC
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by MAC »

Thanks Susan. I was (still am) on 1000mg B12, 1000 mg L-MF, and 50 mg B6 (no TMG) for about 3 weeks before my 1st labs, had HCY 8.4.

It's been about 4 months since those labs on LCHF (my diet generally similar to yours), and looking back, likely have consumed a bit higher daily protein (via seafood) than my updated current thinking, so plan to dial down, and replace with plant based.
MAC
E3/E4-59/MALE
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Although there is some controversy around BHMT genetic variants (effect, no effect on homocysteine), I do carry variants, and I do respond to TMG (which pushes the BHMT recycling a bit). It might also work for you. You can find more info in the methylation wiki. If you go that route, I personally use Life Extension TMG. Best results, less stomach problems.

I just have to be careful how much homocysteine I recycle, because too much SAM-e is not good for me. So restricting methionine in the first place is probably something I need to do, balancing my need for protein. Trial, test, rinse and repeat.

Good luck and let me know how it goes for you.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

MAC, thanks for posting the levels of methionine in various foods. Understandably, stopping milk based yogurt and switching Source Natural's TMG 750mg to Susan's suggested LE TMG 1000 mg plummeted my HCY from over 10 to 3. I've cut back the TMG to 500mg ~ 5x/wk & will re-test Hcy next month.
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

MAC wrote
Overall, are you near to the 1g/kg range total daily protein?
That is our general target, we follow Dr Ron Rosedale's guidance on total protein.
On average, you want to have approximately one gram of protein for every kilogram of lean body mass (that is, the weight of your body minus the fat - we all have some fat). The easiest way to calculate your daily protein requirement is to take your ideal weight in kilograms (that is, what you would like to weigh if you could weigh anything) and have roughly one gram of protein per kilogram, minus 10%. For example, if you were a woman who is 5.4 ft (165 centimeters) tall, your ‘ideal’ weight would likely be in the neighborhood of 110 lbs (50 kilograms). Thus, your protein intake per day should be somewhere around the 50g - 10% = 45 grams of protein, split approximately evenly between meals. If you have an especially active lifestyle, you can add 5-10 grams or so.
Read more: http://drrosedale.com/healthplan#ixzz4VygasD79

We don't measure on a day to day basis, but from our blood tests, Dr Gundry has told us were getting very good levels of protein.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Susan, I like your rotating diet schedule. I'll look forward to your results.
We don't measure on a day to day basis, but from our blood tests, Dr Gundry has told us were getting very good levels of protein.
Interesting, Theresa. I've wondered if serum testing can reveal that information. FWIW, my protein is usually low :?.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Here's the update on my homocysteine.

I went from 10.4 (2015) to 6.1 on 1g/day of LE TMG in 2016. But I was also having side effects from the TMG.

So, I
1) cut back to 500mg/day of TMG,
2) rotated my diet one veg day, one fish/chicken day,
3) no other diet or supplement changes except perhaps a little higher on the nuts.

And I came in at a homocysteine of 7.

I can live with this, because 500mg of TMG doesn't seem to bother me, and I'm getting a boatload of vegetables.