CSF Ferritin predicts cognitive decline in E4s

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: CSF Ferritin predicts cognitive decline in E4s

Post by Orangeblossom »

Do you feel OK Circular? I felt quite faint when my irons stores were very low, even though it didn't show anaemia.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Orangeblossom wrote:Do you feel OK Circular? I felt quite faint when my irons stores were very low, even though it didn't show anaemia.
I don't feel faint, but I'm definitely not yet as energetic as I feel I should be. I was really getting there until a freighterload of stress hit, so I'm sure that's affecting me. I suspect my ferritin, iron etc is okay, so I'm just running the iron panel to cross it off the list and not look back for a long time. I'm getting close to needing only a few labs a year to monitor what hasn't been optimal. Even if the iron panel is normal, if iron is low normal I may experiment to see whether a little bump up has noticeably beneficial effects on my energy. Would take at least a two round trial to confirm any bounce is the extra iron. I'll try to do it with diet.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

circular wrote:
Orangeblossom wrote:Do you feel OK Circular? I felt quite faint when my irons stores were very low, even though it didn't show anaemia.
I don't feel faint, but I'm definitely not yet as energetic as I feel I should be. I was really getting there until a freighterload of stress hit, so I'm sure that's affecting me. I suspect my ferritin, iron etc is okay, so I'm just running the iron panel to cross it off the list and not look back for a long time. I'm getting close to needing only a few labs a year to monitor what hasn't been optimal. Even if the iron panel is normal, if iron is low normal I may experiment to see whether a little bump up has noticeably beneficial effects on my energy. Would take at least a two round trial to confirm any bounce is the extra iron. I'll try to do it with diet.
Sounds like a good plan. ;)
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Okay ferritin/iron experts, I don't think there's anything too concerning here in the big picture. I notice my ferritin is lower this time than last, when it was 34.

TIBC 287 ug/dL (250-450)
UIBC 215 ug/dL (131-425)
Iron 72 ug/dL (27-159)
Iron Saturation 25% (15-55)
Ferritin 27 ng/mL (15-150)

Everything within the lab's normal ranges, but not simon01's target areas for ferritin and iron saturation. I notice Dr. Bredesen doesn't include these among his labs, at least not as discussed in his book. I would be a little worried that increasing iron would cause my iron itself to go too high.

I need to listen to Chris Masterjohn's podcast on this a second time.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Circ, I would read your iron panel as normal :)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Thanks Stavia! That's what I expected and thought. Yea, one less thing to think about! :geek:
simonh01
Contributor
Contributor

Post by simonh01 »

You're borderline iron deficient, I wouldn't stress about it but you are definitely below the ranges I would be happy with.
Simon
ε4/ε4
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lucy5 »

simon wrote: You're borderline iron deficient, I wouldn't stress about it but you are definitely below the ranges I would be happy with.
simon, I'm curious if there's a specific lab result in circ's panel that you find concerning?
simonh01
Contributor
Contributor

Post by simonh01 »

Lucy5 wrote:
simon wrote: You're borderline iron deficient, I wouldn't stress about it but you are definitely below the ranges I would be happy with.
simon, I'm curious if there's a specific lab result in circ's panel that you find concerning?
Iron Sat < 30%
Also the Ferritin of 27 is low I would want it over 50.

TIBC and UIBC are reversed so the lower the number the closer to iron overload, they look ok but are on the lower end

TIBC (Total Iron Binding Capactiy) > 250 if below 250 then potential iron overload
UIBC (Unsaturated Iron Binding Capacity > 150 if below 150 then potential iron overload

Again I probably wouldn't put this in the deficient or amenic category but on a scale you are definitely heading in that direction and I would work on correcting it.
Simon
ε4/ε4
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

How much do these measurements fluctuate day to day? And how long could it take to go from borderline to being anemic? I'm thinking I could hold off per Stavia, retest in six months or so, and if there's a worsening from Simon's perspective then address it after seeing the trend.

At the same time, while my energy is improved, I wouldn't say my stamina is great. I couldn't say, work a full time job and carry on all of life's other duties without a real struggle. (Actually as a caretaker that's what's happening now, I just don't get paid.) But that could just be due to stress overload at this point.