E4 Health benefits - STUDY:Age, Gender, and Cancer but Not Neurodegenerative ...

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Nick
Contributor
Contributor

E4 Health benefits - STUDY:Age, Gender, and Cancer but Not Neurodegenerative ...

Post by Nick »

The study name is: Age, Gender, and Cancer but Not Neurodegenerative and Cardiovascular Diseases Strongly Modulate Systemic Effect of the Apolipoprotein E4 Allele on Lifespan

Located here: https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... n_Lifespan

Amongst the data presented, it points out on page 9 The e4 Allele and Survival in Humans
"Given the persistence of the e4 allele in humans, it may be beneficial in early life and, thus, be subject to balancing selection[27–30]. Indeed, several studies provided support for a beneficial role of the e4 allele in early life. For example, it was shown that the proportion of the e4 allele was significantly smaller in spontaneously aborted embryos than in adults [47]. The proportion of the e4 allele was also found to be significantly larger in healthy liveborn infants compared with stillborn infants and with adults[48]. These findings suggest that the e4 allele can benefit early survival. Then, given the detrimental role of this allele for survival in old ages, we should expect a neutral role at some point in between. Our finding of a neutral role of the e4 allele in survival in mid to early-old life of the genotyped FHS and LLFS participants supports this logic.

It goes on to discuss other life preserving benefits that E4 may confer.

They refer to "very advanced ages(95+years)". So what is mid to early-old life? The answer to that did not jump out to me yet in my read of the study

I searched for this study in the forums but did not find it. I hope it is not duplicate.