APOE4 and Insulin Resistance and many pathways involved

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Bettylacy
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

APOE4 and Insulin Resistance and many pathways involved

Post by Bettylacy »

Apolipoprotein E4 and Insulin Resistance Interact to Impair Cognition and Alter the Epigenome and Metabolome.
Johnson LA1, Torres ER1, Impey S2,3, Stevens JF4,5, Raber J1,6.
Author information
Abstract

Apolipoprotein E4 (E4) and type 2 diabetes are major risk factors for cognitive decline and late onset Alzheimer's disease (AD). E4-associated phenotypes and insulin resistance (IR) share several features and appear to interact in driving cognitive dysfunction. However, shared mechanisms that could explain their overlapping pathophysiology have yet to be found. We hypothesized that, compared to E3 mice, E4 mice would be more susceptible to the harmful cognitive effects of high fat diet (HFD)-induced IR due to apoE isoform-specific differences in brain metabolism. While both E3 and E4 mice fed HFD displayed impairments in peripheral metabolism and cognition, deficits in hippocampal-dependent spatial learning and memory were exaggerated in E4 mice. Combining genome-wide measures of DNA hydroxymethylation with comprehensive untargeted metabolomics, we identified novel alterations in purine metabolism, glutamate metabolism, and the pentose phosphate pathway. Finally, in E4 mice, the metabolic and cognitive deficiencies caused by HFD were rescued by switching to a low fat diet for one month, suggesting a functional role was associated with reversal of the same metabolic pathways described above. These results suggest a susceptibility of E4 carriers to metabolic impairments brought on by IR, and may guide development of novel therapies for cognitive decline and dementia.

http://www.alzforum.org/news/research-n ... ve-decline

Hi all,
I haven't posted for a while but this Alzforum article came across my radar today. The salient points for me in this study are how many pathways are altered with APOE4. In addition the good news is after 1 month of returning to a low fat diet the mice recouped their losses and returned to baseline. THis echoes the research done by Dr. Bredesen in us humans, showing that even if one strays off of the brain protocol diet, it isn't necessarily "the end" for all neurons, but a warning sign that can be reversed. This also reflects my personal experience with the high fat which I was using more last year. At that time, I was using pretty generous with the coconut oil and nut butters and my numbers showed it. My LDL-P was 1753 now @ 1150 and LDL-C was @161 now 124, and my weight was up +10-15 lbs heavier.

The more I learn about the APOE4 gene the more I am aware of it's far reaching health implications and why every one should be tested for this SNP. ;)

I have been far too busy lately to write too often, but I really appreciate this site so very much . I am referring many clients here since I am testing for APOE4 in my work as a psychiatrist, using a panel designed by Boston Heart Diagnositics that is covered by most health insurances, unfortunately tho not Med-i-cal.

I look forward to our meet up at the FMI Dynamic Brain Conference in June. :D

Here are a few quotes from the study I found interesting:
The authors analyzed hippocampal epigenetic and metabolomic changes in the mice, looking for pathways most altered in E4s eating the high-fat diet. They found thousands of methylated DNA regions that were unique to the overfed E4s, and were predicted to affect genes involved in numerous cellular processes. Among metabolites, 58 were altered by ApoE genotype and diet, falling into several pathways. In the combined epigenetic/metabolomic dataset, three pathways stood out: purine metabolism, glutamate metabolism, and the pentose phosphate pathway (see image above). All of these processes relate to energy metabolism.

The purine adenosine forms the basis of the energy source ATP. Purine metabolism has previously been reported to go awry in AD (see Sims et al., 1998; Ansoleaga et al., 2015). Purine biosynthesis also produces glutamate as a byproduct. This neurotransmitter links neuronal activity to glucose use, and is found in short supply in ApoE4 mice (see Dumanis et al., 2013). The pentose phosphate pathway (PPP), an alternative to glycolysis, metabolizes sugars to generate five-carbon precursors for various synthesis reactions, including purines. The PPP also helps lower oxidative stress, and is impaired in AD brains (see Palmer et al., 1999; Orešič et al., 2011). However, the mechanisms that connect ApoE4 to any of these processes remain unclear.

The authors wondered whether the harmful changes in memory and metabolism were reversible. They fed a separate group of nine-month-old ApoE4 mice a high-fat diet for five months, followed by a low-fat diet for one. Upon changing diets, the portly mice lost weight and could better metabolize sugar. In cognitive tests, the slimmed-down mice performed like normal controls. Epigenetic markers and metabolites also returned to normal.
APOe 3/4; If you want to go fast go alone. If you want to go far go together. African proverb. :D
Spittinchips
Contributor
Contributor

Re: APOE4 and Insulin Resistance and many pathways involved

Post by Spittinchips »

Thanks, Bettylacy. Interesting read, although I do wish the labcoats would stop referring to food that is 19% maltodextrin/sucrose as a 'high fat diet'. Their little picture-flow-chart at the top of page 9 is amusing - the little mice being "rescued" by a low fat diet. Hooray!

:)
buck3Maureen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by buck3Maureen »

Hi Betty Lacy I put away my coconut oil and milk a few months ago and I am hoping for better numbers on my next blood test. So very confusing for me. I signed up for the Dynamic Braine Conference - hope to meet you there.
Maureen
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Bettylacy wrote: The authors wondered whether the harmful changes in memory and metabolism were reversible. They fed a separate group of nine-month-old ApoE4 mice a high-fat diet for five months, followed by a low-fat diet for one. Upon changing diets, the portly mice lost weight and could better metabolize sugar. In cognitive tests, the slimmed-down mice performed like normal controls. Epigenetic markers and metabolites also returned to normal.
So was the problem the dietary constituents for the fact that the mice got overweight? Sorry, I can't take the time to read the article, but it looks important since there are so many rationales for a higher fat (lower carb) diet for us.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Bettylacy
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Bettylacy »

Spittinchips wrote:Thanks, Bettylacy. Interesting read, although I do wish the labcoats would stop referring to food that is 19% maltodextrin/sucrose as a 'high fat diet'. Their little picture-flow-chart at the top of page 9 is amusing - the little mice being "rescued" by a low fat diet. Hooray!

:)
Spittinships- I agree. I went back and skimmed the article and couldn't find info on the exact ingredients of the diet they are calling high fat.
APOe 3/4; If you want to go fast go alone. If you want to go far go together. African proverb. :D
Bettylacy
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Bettylacy »

circular wrote:
Bettylacy wrote: The authors wondered whether the harmful changes in memory and metabolism were reversible. They fed a separate group of nine-month-old ApoE4 mice a high-fat diet for five months, followed by a low-fat diet for one. Upon changing diets, the portly mice lost weight and could better metabolize sugar. In cognitive tests, the slimmed-down mice performed like normal controls. Epigenetic markers and metabolites also returned to normal.
So was the problem the dietary constituents for the fact that the mice got overweight? Sorry, I can't take the time to read the article, but it looks important since there are so many rationales for a higher fat (lower carb) diet for us.
good point circular! I can't find the dietary constituents in the article in my skim technique, but that is important to know.
Bettylacy
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Bettylacy »

buck3Maureen wrote:Hi Betty Lacy I put away my coconut oil and milk a few months ago and I am hoping for better numbers on my next blood test. So very confusing for me. I signed up for the Dynamic Braine Conference - hope to meet you there.
Maureen
It sure is confusing Maureen. We are lucky to have this group to help sort it out. Look forward to seeing you at the DBC in LA.
Spittinchips
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Spittinchips »

Hello again - I believe they used D12492 as the high fat diet - http://www.researchdiets.com/search/col ... 1?q=d12492

Poor mice.

Have a good one.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Poor mice is right. Over half the calories is lard!
Harrison
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Harrison »

Just wanted to chime in with a few points:

1) Unlike people, normal mice do not become obese and insulin resistant eating high carb, low fat. To get obesity and insulin resistance, you need the combination of fat and sugar.
2) Nearly every diet used in mouse studies has both high fat and some form of sugar. I poked around the Research diets website and was unable to find a stock diet that would approximate LCHF. This could be because mice won't eat the stuff, because it's difficult to manufacture, or a host of other reasons.